IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yatay Mule

buffy

So, per Sonora's request, here's a thread dedicated to the Yatay Mule. My particular plant is a Patric Schafer hybrid. I put it in the ground during the Spring of 2010 as a strap-leaved seedling. It grew quite fast that summer and went pinnate in early fall. Then the winter of 2010-2011 arrived. We had a period of 4 continuous days below freezing with an ultimate low around 15F or 16F. I protected it with a blanket and trash bag, but it was still so little with no extra heat. The whole plant was burnt badly. The spear let go quickly, so instead of letting this thing croak, I cut it very close to the ground and gave it some copper. Within a week or two, we warmed up nicely and the little palm started pushing new growth quickly. Well, it never slowed down since.

You can see the can of Fresca (I hate that stuff) and my size 12 shoe at the base.

20130428_200046_zps27993c9b.jpg

Here you can see the palm in context to its surroundings.

20130428_200139_zpsdaacbca2.jpg

Bonus shot of the other side of the grass driveway.

20130428_200223_zps581080f4.jpg

I will also mention that it shows none of that nasty spotting I mentioned with my Jubutygruses.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Very nice cameron, a very upright looking mule, and fast. Since there are so few yatays around to use as the mother plant, this palm appears to be a pretty rare mule. thanks for the pics! Obviously it a pretty tough palm growing like that after been cut to the ground... I got a couple strap leafers from patrick, Im looking forward to putting them in my landscape.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Nice looking Mule. I have not gotten around to pollinating my B.Yatay yet. I never have seen a big calling for it. But what the heck, i'll do it to it this year!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

The mother tree of Camerons mule is of course the butia yatay of the late Richard Douglas. This butia is the best looking butia I have ever seen, hands down. More fronds in the crown(50?) many fine leaflets, and that nice grey green color. There are lots of genetic variations in mule hybrids, but I cant imagine a better more attractive tree to use as the mother. Yatays are kind of rare in the US so few hybridizers offer a yatay mule, I only know of patrick schafer doing this currently. It will be interesting to see if the yatay mule gives a more dense crown with finer leaflets as the mother plant does compared with the more common odorata/catarinensis(?) mule. It will also be interesting to see if any yatay mules take on some of the more grey color of the mother. thanks for the pics of your great garden and the story cameron!

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Mine looks exactly like that, very upright as compared to a standard mule, and green petioles as compared to the dark purplish of the standard mule. I have post a pic here before, but will see if I can run it down to ad to this thread, since it is dedicated and all. B)

Here you go, photo added, and my conventional mule for comparison. Note the more relaxed form and dark petioles.

post-1207-0-36552100-1367282218_thumb.jp

post-1207-0-20485500-1367282554_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow. That does look so similar to mine. Has yours grown silly fast too? I think its funny how you have an Agave right behind yours too. :)

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

looks fantastic Cameron ! Very robust example !

Like the other stuff in the background as well !

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Mine looks exactly like that, very upright as compared to a standard mule, and green petioles as compared to the dark purplish of the standard mule. I have post a pic here before, but will see if I can run it down to ad to this thread, since it is dedicated and all. B)

Here you go, photo added, and my conventional mule for comparison. Note the more relaxed form and dark petioles.

no kidding keith, looks alot like camerons mule. Both of your mules look great!

Tom Blank

those mules are very pretty, stunning palms, when I saw Camerons mule, I contacted with Patric to get a pair to myself...

thanks for share

Keith´s mule with those black leaf bases and upright fronds lools like Parajubaea tor tor, awesome palm.

Keith- where did you get the mules? I'm down in Houma and my palms are usually mail order seedlings.

I got all of my mules and my jubutia from a PT member Michael (Palmsrgreat) years ago when he lived in Houston . He relocated Oregon, I think, and I got to take advantage of his cleaning out sale. They were all quite small when I got them 6 years ago.

And good to meet you, btw. If you ever get up to the New Iberia area, shoot me a msg.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

yeah nice meeting you. Will follow your posts and watch your mules grow. Looking for that holy grail coconutty mule...like this one!

post-7690-0-97240600-1368196744_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Here's a late summer update. I was observing the Yatay Mule this evening and noticed a few interesting things.

First, check out the unusual armament. It's similar to a regular Butia armament with some key differences. The armament is needle like and spaced much tighter:

20130818_194439_zps5fac15ce.jpg

Second, look at the leaf bases. They are very, very green. This hybrid has a much more tropical feel with the very green coloration and droopy fronds. Also, that base size is between a basketball and a beach ball now.

20130818_194358_zps0b997658.jpg

Now some bonus shots around the garden. I hit the jackpot on the Sabal uresana. Great color and form even as a juvie:

20130818_194721_zpse5f68bfc.jpg

Brother Max in Rome sent me this Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano' a few year back. It's really doing well now. Check out how the fronds cup toward the adaxial direction. I've never really seen this before:

20130818_194743_zps7b3e1604.jpg

20130818_194752_zps94e0cbda.jpg

Great shots Cameron! That uresana IS the jackpot, among the bluest Ive seen. the volcano is also a wonderful variations on the chamaerops humilis. Great garden, looking forward to seeing it all progress and grow in! :greenthumb:

Tom Blank

• 5 months later...

Especially after seeing the winter performance this year, I want more. Does anyone know a current source to obtain one or more?

I would like one too if someone knows a source. I like the look of this mule a lot more than the standard one.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Has anyone contacted Patric to see if he is still doing them. I thought I read in another thread he was still pollinating on Dick Douglas's old property.

Buffy,

Great looking hybrid and I appreciate the detailed differences.... I'll ck my mule tmrw to see how it compares to yours. Love the bonus shots too! Sadly my Vulcan ( from Max ) died as a seedling during a 17F night a number of yrs ago.

So how is the yatay mule doing after this crazy cold winter???

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Has anyone contacted Patric to see if he is still doing them. I thought I read in another thread he was still pollinating on Dick Douglas's old property.

I emailed him and he sent me a list saying that it was up to date except he didn't have any B X J, but the yatay mule was on the list so I guess it's still going on.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

I emailed him and he sent me a list saying that it was up to date except he didn't have any B X J, but the yatay mule was on the list so I guess it's still going on.

Any chance you can PM me that list and his contact info?

Any chance you can PM me that list and his contact info?

Done

Keith 

I have two yatay mule seedlings I got from Patrick late spring last year. I also have a little yatay x Jubaea that looks like it will have some nice grey green color. Here is a pic of my patrick hybrids. the two yatay mules in back and on the right flank the center yatay x jubaea and left (B x J)x J. the yatay mules held their strap leaves to quite a length, one more than 30". they do look a little more upright than my other mule did when it was at this stage. Second pic of the yatay xJ a few months later.

Tom Blank