Kailua_Krish

Pushing the Zone in 9a

Kailua_Krish

It’s pretty slow, I have had mine for a while (at least 5 years) and they just seem to slowly add size where each leaf is larger than the last

• Upvote 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Thats good to know i may still try 1 some day, not many palms like it with its hardiness 

Kailua_Krish

I think the hardiness has been overblown. Arenga engleri and ryukyuensis is much hardier 

RJ
45 minutes ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

I think the hardiness has been overblown. Arenga engleri and ryukyuensis is much hardier 

The latter is like finding a needle in a haystack :rolleyes:

Kailua_Krish

They were available on RPS for a bit but haven’t seen since. I have some but they aren’t old enough to produce seeds yet

necturus

How did you secure the bromeliads to the tree?

I'm impressed by the silk floss tree. There's a some in the greater Houston area that have that kind of size, but they are few and far between. Perhaps part of the secret is growing it right in there with another tree for protection.

Kailua_Krish

I secured the bromeliad with a u bolt I screwed to the tree. With those bromeliads it was fairly painful as they are very sharp. 

The silk floss isn’t really under another tree though I see how the picture makes it look like that. There are large trees on all the borders though that act as wind/coldbreaks. I almost lost it in 2010 and there is a big scar on the trunk from then but it grew through it. That area is very dry which seems to help it too maybe?

Tropicdoc

You the man! Always an inspiration for zone 9a. My garden is about 5-6 years behind yours. But, I’ll be posting and boasting before too long!

• Upvote 2

Kailua_Krish

It’s fun seeing how everything has grown. A plant that Im surprised by is Alpinia hainanensis “pink perfection”. It’s done very well and the flowers are really nice. It is a little bit weedy compared with shell ginger as it spreads a lot more

668D57FA-8530-40EC-9E31-61D49E355043.thumb.jpeg.cde93dfb3201feb751189342e92292be.jpeg

Also anyone who says you can’t grow orchids outdoors is a liar. This Laelia anceps has been here for 10+ years. I don’t know if it’s ever flowered. It survives off of just rainwater so I assume it would be bigger had I actually taken care of it (sorry for the poor quality photo, it’s high up in a large oak tree)

C12D7C80-C969-4D89-B8A3-C431FDBEA6EC.thumb.jpeg.c49a10d79c4b7b925017058e8a93317b.jpeg

• Like 1

Kailua_Krish

A few new photos. I’m here visiting for a few days, everything has grown and now is the point to being a bit overgrown! Trying out some panoramas

C3B8F4E0-B95C-4247-B2B1-23D0F1CCF167.jpeg

394AA1AB-BBB1-44E0-866F-102F2F12378D.jpeg

• Like 2

Kailua_Krish

DF0E8A39-3CAA-418B-A89E-D4BA52D7A06C.jpeg

090CBCA7-D3EF-43AD-BA3E-E8CBA16F62C3.jpeg

• Like 3

Kailua_Krish

8977EE39-D799-40FA-9BB1-9DD4F4C5C057.jpeg

E93AA70C-8468-4FD8-A10C-106F9212008F.jpeg

• Like 3

Kailua_Krish

Bonus points if you can identify some of these. They’ve all been in ground unprotected at least 5 years

E884F431-ED0F-4D7B-B656-051EA72EF591.jpeg

F09649D4-D760-4778-9EF9-2A18ACFEC51B.jpeg

• Like 2

Kailua_Krish

5687CB33-4E93-4D2A-9122-9C1E66631CD0.jpeg

1BC9253D-22EB-4D95-8675-5DCB2E222FCE.jpeg

• Like 6

Kailua_Krish

If anyone has questions about specific palms or cycads and how the grew (or died) in a 9a wet climate please feel free to ask. I had been planting palms here since 2000 (I think)

• Upvote 1

necturus

Nice shots! Everything looks great. You ought to make a video and share it on YouTube! The yard is so lush and tropical looking, you rarely seen pictures of gardens in zone 9a that look anything like that. It's no Hawaii, but it has a certain charm.

The silk floss looks particularly good. It seems like there's a size above which they become more resistant to freezes (see Ruth Bancroft Garden), and yours has to be getting there! There's one near the coast here of similar size that frozen back in the bad freeze two years ago but bloomed the following summer.

I bought a nice 5 gallon Parajubaea sunkha over a year ago and put it in the ground in this spring, but it subsequently died.  I'll blame it on our heavy clay soils since you and tank have been successful in sandy Florida soil. Even still, I don't know if they're worth growing in either climate with the slow growth rate, but that one looks nice!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kailua_Krish
9 hours ago, necturus said:

Nice shots! Everything looks great. You ought to make a video and share it on YouTube! The yard is so lush and tropical looking, you rarely seen pictures of gardens in zone 9a that look anything like that. It's no Hawaii, but it has a certain charm.

The silk floss looks particularly good. It seems like there's a size above which they become more resistant to freezes (see Ruth Bancroft Garden), and yours has to be getting there! There's one near the coast here of similar size that frozen back in the bad freeze two years ago but bloomed the following summer.

I bought a nice 5 gallon Parajubaea sunkha over a year ago and put it in the ground in this spring, but it subsequently died.  I'll blame it on our heavy clay soils since you and tank have been successful in sandy Florida soil. Even still, I don't know if they're worth growing in either climate with the slow growth rate, but that one looks nice!

Thank you! I just made this video covering the front 1/3rd of the yard. Its my first attempt so I apologize for any quality issues!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Chester B

Great video.  Thanks for sharing:greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

necturus

No need to apologize! That's a great video. One of the top zone 9A gardens for sure.

Since you zone pushed a lot, did you ever try any Attalea or Archontophoenix?

• Upvote 2

Kailua_Krish
26 minutes ago, necturus said:

No need to apologize! That's a great video. One of the top zone 9A gardens for sure.

Since you zone pushed a lot, did you ever try any Attalea or Archontophoenix?

I tried Attalea dubia. It’s survived but grows very slowly. Never could get my hands on any archontophoenix strangely enough. 

Allen

Great video!

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
26 minutes ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

I tried Attalea dubia. It’s survived but grows very slowly. Never could get my hands on any archontophoenix strangely enough. 

Which ones are you interested in?

Kailua_Krish

I don’t garden here anymore. Basically it’s on autopilot with my parents and their yard people caring for it. I now have my own place on Oahu :) Thank you though!

• Like 2

necturus

Do you have any idea what the first Arenga is? If it defoliates but comes back it might worth trying here.  A. australasica maybe?

I should also mention, your BxPJ is really beautiful. To me it seems distinct from the other large specimens that have been shared on here, in a good way. Most of the older ones seem more Butia than Parajubaea, which is a shame. I hope you can keep sharing pictures of its progress over the years. I've managed to pick up most of Patric's PJ hybrids. They're all still small but don't really give the hint that they could become that attractive. Fingers crossed.

I'm also in medicine and have often thought about relocating to Hawaii. Unfortunately, what I do is extremely specialized, and I wouldn't be able to continue pursuing my passion out there. But perhaps, one day. Until then, I hope you share pictures of your developing garden for those of us struggling to get their tropical fix in zone 9. :P

Kailua_Krish
21 hours ago, necturus said:

Do you have any idea what the first Arenga is? If it defoliates but comes back it might worth trying here.  A. australasica maybe?

I should also mention, your BxPJ is really beautiful. To me it seems distinct from the other large specimens that have been shared on here, in a good way. Most of the older ones seem more Butia than Parajubaea, which is a shame. I hope you can keep sharing pictures of its progress over the years. I've managed to pick up most of Patric's PJ hybrids. They're all still small but don't really give the hint that they could become that attractive. Fingers crossed.

I'm also in medicine and have often thought about relocating to Hawaii. Unfortunately, what I do is extremely specialized, and I wouldn't be able to continue pursuing my passion out there. But perhaps, one day. Until then, I hope you share pictures of your developing garden for those of us struggling to get their tropical fix in zone 9. :P

Honestly I have no idea, it didn't come back quickly and Id have preferred it to be the known cold hardy species as it looked bad for a while afterwords. The BxPj has turned out really nice. As a seedling it was a runt and I kind of lost interest in it as it did not grow well then all the sudden BAM it started growing and became very attractive. Its still slow to trunk but very attractive in its foliage and I kind of like it at this height.

Feel free to contact me with any questions about what its like on the ground in medicine on Oahu. The systems are growing so there is a chance one day maybe your specialty will be appropriate for the population!

• Like 2

Kailua_Krish

Just a few photo updates. Most of these plants have been in ground for 10-15 years

B158D32F-CB02-48DE-9A2F-DDF2BD8285D5.jpeg

521E6D01-1938-4DE6-88C4-05CCD9BC99B5.jpeg

• Like 3

Kailua_Krish

EF4610F0-2D73-414F-9333-C66C22CA9BA6.jpeg

6863841E-91CD-4842-8532-210FABD621E8.jpeg

• Like 2

Kailua_Krish

909C6CBC-7B24-4036-82EB-9957127B3921.jpeg

CCA7AE19-07E8-4C38-B505-1E845A47E554.jpeg

• Like 2