IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pushing the Zone in 9a

Kailua_Krish

Just thought I'd share a few photos of my yard in a low 9a North Florida. Sorry the photos arent the best but the lighting just wasnt working. Tell me what you think!

First are my two "those wont grow there" palms

Parajubaea sunkha

IMG_0174.jpg

Dypsis decipiens

IMG_0175.jpg

Attalea dubia foor good measure

IMG_0177.jpg

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Some tropical palms grown with careful siting. Some of these are protected with a heat lamp if the temp is forecast below 25. Kerriodoxa elegans, Chambeyronia macrocarpa, Lytocaryum, Beccariophoenix alfredii, Ceratozamia 'Molongo', C. radicalis, Lepidozamia p, and assorted bromeliads/tropicals.

IMG_0176.jpg

Large P. sylvestris (hybrids probably) with Bambusa chungii on the right

IMG_0181.jpg

Tropical border with Arenga engleri, P. selloum, and other tropicals

IMG_0182.jpg

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Now some cocoids

Jubaea x Syagrus, still sometimes has a bit of yellowing on portions of new frons, think this is from water getting in the crown when its cold. It should grow out of this

IMG_0178.jpg

Hopper Jubutyagrus, never a single problem with this one and its getting big...

IMG_0179.jpg

Syagrus 'abreojos', Have been trampled and mauled by the family dogs and still keep growing

IMG_0180.jpg

Edited by krishnaraoji88
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

Now some bigger landscape photos

Butyagrus, Bismarkia, and Butia paraguayensis

IMG_0189.jpg

New bed I'm working on the left, filled with Crinum asiaticum, Magnolia maccleurei, and many small assorted tropicals

IMG_0185.jpg

A bed thats finished but plants need to grow, filled with L. chiniensis, Arenga ryukyuensis, B. alfredii, cycads, and Billbergia nutans hybrid

IMG_0183.jpg

Edited by krishnaraoji88
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

A closer look at whats in that planting bed, this is a great planting combo for central Florida understory if its wet enough

IMG_0126.jpg

And another plant that does well here if sited properly and with adequate water and rich soil, Ive filled open spaces in that bed with small ones of these i grew from stem cuttings

IMG_0125.jpg

Well thats all folks! No photos of the back this time.

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Looks like you are growing a great range of stuff there . The mule palm looks great one of my favorites .

The extra canopy must help alot with the odd once or twice a year freeze event .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks Troy! Canopy is key in Florida because we get really heavy frosts but our freezes tend to be short. We usually get about 10 or so freezes a year with 2-3 below 25 degrees F with the lowest in the past few years being 19ish. These mules in the front don't grow as well as the ones in the back and I don't know why, their trunks are thinner and their fronds tend to yellow prematurely. I used to have 3 mules in that spot but one died :/

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Absolutely beautiful, good blend between tropical and traditional southern garden styles too.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wonderful that you can grow so many palms I didn't think would survive frost. Looks great!

Cindy Adair

Thanks! I blended the southern style in because I wanted the yard to "fit in". Also, many of the old southern plants are favorites for a reason (they are survivors), even when we have devastating freezes again (like the 14 degrees Ocala got to before) the crinums, cast iron, shell gingers, ect will all come back in the spring and most of these could tolerate severe drought too. I'm lucky that my soil is a loamy clay mix in the front which allows me to grow plants without much fertilizer, it stays so wet violets overtook the St Augustine lawn in the front! The place always looks a bit messy once I go home though because I love dividing the plants and making the beds bigger, in the back I have a big fenced in cage full of palms and cycads that are waiting to be large enough to plant out!

One part of the southern landscape that I am slowly getting rid of are the azaleas. While they grow and flower well its a constant battle to keep the vines (smilax, virginia creeper, poison ivy to name a few) off of them. They are entirely too much work when planting shell ginger, crinums, and philodendrons makes a virtually carefree landscape!

-Krishna

Great garden! Ocala always surprises me because it really seems to be the dividing line between subtropical and temperate. Many queens were killed a few miles up the road in Gainesville when I was there for the mega freeze in '10, while many in Ocala with similar siting were undamged!

I actually lost a few smaller queens during that winter. Growing them on the edge of their hardiness really demonstrates that wide variations in cold tolerance they have. I recently got a 'Mountain Giant' queen to test out here and see if its more tolerant than the standard form. I also got the Uruguay form to try out as I've heard that they were cold tolerant. Speaking of Gainesville I'm always surprised what they can grow at Kanapaha, their gardens have given me some good ideas of new plants to try.

-Krishna

Great example of a zone 9a push krishna. those alfredii, protected from frost might be fine in zone 9a. Nice cocoid selection, and I am a fan of a live oak yard, very stately. Im sure you also have some sabals... maybe next time!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The photo of the tropical boarder has a long trunk on the right, thats our biggest Sabal. I also have a few smaller ones around the yard but nothing too spectacular yet including domengensis, 'blackburniana', miamiensis, minor, hopefully a 'Lisa', maritima, and Riverside. Palmettos come up as weeds every chance they can, I actively am ripping them out of the beds or the yard would be nothing but a palmetto forest

-Krishna

Great garden! Thk you! Do you have any pictures of your lamp and protection during frosty period? Thank you again.

Alas I dont but to be honest it was very primitive. I simply stuck some wooden stakes in the ground and laid a large tarp on top anchoring the sides with large rocks to keep it from flying off. It just looked like a large poorly designed camping tent :) Then I took a standard agricultural heat lamp (the kind they use for keeping baby chickens warm) and used the red heat lamp bulb and placed it underneath. Since our freezes are so short in duration this worked quite well and the only leaves that were damaged were those touching the plastic.

Of note though I did not protect one of the kerriodoxa and the Lytocaryum yet during a very cold winter <25 all they got were soome brown tips on the leaves. I feel these two palms are hardier than given credit for...

-Krishna

• 1 month later...

Krishna, I hear you are in med school... good luck. Anyway, what is your secret with th P. sunkha? Soil, etc. I would love to try one here, but I believe Keith, 90 miles West of me tried and failed. I think we have similar climates, but maybe not soil.

Krishna, I hear you are in med school... good luck. Anyway, what is your secret with th P. sunkha? Soil, etc. I would love to try one here, but I believe Keith, 90 miles West of me tried and failed. I think we have similar climates, but maybe not soil.

I think success is very likely if starting with a decent size palm, maybe 4 or 5 feet. I was starting with seedlings and that bad freeze in 09/10 followed by the record drought did them in. And understand, I don't baby my plants They get a little bit of help, but not much. My goal is not to raise dependents. I got enough to do on 3 acres without coddling individual plants.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

one of those hat heaters on LPG tank will keep a palm warm also --- thats my back up option for my jubeopsis and Dypsis decaryi when they get too tall to cover. you blow about $4 a night but we dont have that many freezes here in 9a Best regards Ed

wow, keith, 3 acres. I gotta come over and check it out. You think we could pull of a parajub in heavily amended soil? Ed, this guy, Walt in FL keeps a cocos alive with heat cables around the trunk and growth bud. The leaves fry, but then regrow in the summer. Post pics of your jubaeopsis that's too tall to cover. Must be a site in Jacksonville...9a?

I started with a small seedling, planted it raised in soil altered with coarse sand and limestone rock chips and planted it where it was near a concrete structure (it's my understanding that it helps with nematodes). It gets a part day sun and some cold protection from the house it is relatively near.

Thanks for the med school well wishes! I recently finished second year!

-Krishna

I was thinking if I started with seedling, keeping it in a pot of well-drained medium. Full sun in the winter, maybe in an unheated pop-up greenhouse then part shade in the summer. Doing this until I got to Keith's threshold 4-5 feet before planting in a raised bed of ideal medium over a tilled undersurface of native blackjack clay with sand/ limestone etc. Krishna, is your soil acid or alkaline... do you know?

wow, keith, 3 acres. I gotta come over and check it out. You think we could pull of a parajub in heavily amended soil? Ed, this guy, Walt in FL keeps a cocos alive with heat cables around the trunk and growth bud. The leaves fry, but then regrow in the summer. Post pics of your jubaeopsis that's too tall to cover. Must be a site in Jacksonville...9a?

You are welcome to visit my weed patch any time you are willing to make the drive.

My soil is acid for the most part but the P sunkha is planted near a lot of concrete so it's probably a little more basic. It's florida clay in parts, black loam in others, and very sandy in the back but not that pure white sand.

-Krishna

Looking good! :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Thanks all! Ive got 3 days off coming up soon that Im going to head back and start a new bed using A. engleri, P. bipinnadifidum, A. zerumbet (green), C. cooperi, and some other small plants. Ive also been collecting hardy bromeliads recently!

-Krishna

Heres a photo of the Jubeaopsis its tucked up against the house so I cant get a good shot plus I have alot of vegetation and jungle around

post-562-0-53429000-1370310475_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Heres a photo of the Jubeaopsis its tucked up against the house so I cant get a good shot plus I have alot of vegetation and jungle around

Soil round Jubaeopsis is sandy? Nice collection Krishna and most importantly, with healthy plants :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Note beach sand like muc of FLorida but pretty sandy with some peat --- in habitat they grow on the side of a cliff in rather sparse soil . Best regards Ed

• Like 1

Wow that's impressive!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Much obliged for the kind words.... I hope yours grows faster than this one ... I collected the seeds for it in August 1986 so it grows pretty slow. I am in zone 9a so theres a trade off between winter frost protection for deep freezes and full sun ( liek most of my plants). Best regards Ed

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I feel the same way 6 months out of the year I swear I'm living in the amazon. We get several years with barely a frost, then BAM some crazy winter like 2010. I will pop up a greenhouse every winter on the jc until it doesn't fit, then probably do some inventive protection after that if its looking like a winner. I was thinking of cropping any suckers that come off to give a single, curved trunk palm look. Do you think that would be detrimental to the palm?

probably not --- this had one big sucker going into the house and I cut off thinking i could root botched the whole thing --- sucker never rooted --- but it didnt seem to hurt the plant at all. Its right by a window so I can alway make a drape around it and crakc the window a bit so the heat will keep it a few degrees above the outside. this part of FL is probably a bit like LA very hot and tropical except a few hours evey 3rd or 4th year. Best regards Ed

Very inspiring garden! Thank you for sharing this pics!

Yes, Lytocaryum weddelianum is a little tough palm and I think L.hoehnei and insigne will be also cold hardier than weddelianum.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Yes, Lytocaryum weddelianum is a little tough palm and I think L.hoehnei and insigne will be also cold hardier than weddelianum.

I wish these Lytocaryums were more available in the US, they are great little understory palms!

-Krishna

I wish these Lytocaryums were more available in the US, they are great little understory palms!

They are also difficult to find here!

Last i bought beautifull big seedlings (and the hoehnei were pinate), of L,insigne and L.hoehnei at e-jardim nursery in Rio de Janeiro

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Such a shame, they were hardier than the ubiquitous P. robelleni for me during the frigid 09-10 winter. I have a feeling they could be used much more in zone 9 if they were more readily available. Do they not make many seeds?

-Krishna