IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heliconia zebrina 'Inca'

realarch

As I have the admittedly similar Calathea and the Heliconia zebrina "Inca" I just snapped some photos to compare the leaves.

When they bloom it will be easy to see the difference in flowers!

They would look much better if we had a much needed rain to wash off the Saharan dust and perk them up!

I think this one is Calathea zebrina. I have several and they all look similar and grow easily in shade to partial shade with shorter petioles and shorter overall height.

DSCN9404.thumb.JPG.b504d03bfdcee7ced1311

DSCN9402.thumb.JPG.693ebf7c1f860ca4010fa

No drip tip on my Calatheas. Some round, some small tip. The dark green variation doesn't quite touch the edge of each leaf.

DSCN9402.thumb.JPG.693ebf7c1f860ca4010fa

DSCN9401.thumb.JPG.c5690d38219cf8955fa06

Here is what I bought at the TPIE trade show last January as Heliconia zebrina 'Inca'. The leaf pattern is different and the tips are much thinner when shown with my hand than on the Calatheas. This one struggled in nearly full sun and is much happier since I moved it to partial shade.

DSCN9408.thumb.JPG.5fcfc5bfde90fc4bb02f5

DSCN9410.thumb.JPG.5e8f8fd7c79ec23e3f19f

DSCN9411.thumb.JPG.04eaaeaa937e8de7b26e4

Here is a struggling hurricane survivor Heliconia zebrina "Indica" from Plant It Hawaii. Probably insufficient water since on such a steep slope. 

DSCN9406.thumb.JPG.27d8caeacb685cb1e3b42

Does this help telling the difference? Of course I am going by the grower labels on my purchased plants so defer to those with real knowledge.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I can relate to your "Saharan dust" comment. Dry season the sprinklers only seem to make the dust stick. It needs good wet season rain to wash it off.

Your Heliconia zebrina have the acute leaves as well. So there must be variability in the species. Pity they don't flower more easily/frequently, be so much easier. Calathea zebrina seems to be very consistent with its form and stripe patterns. This is mine, world apart but pretty much identical.

gwn18030312.jpg.7f731e9a0debe2a58a91c060

I'd like to get Heliconia zebrina, but I'd like it to be H. zebrina that I get.

There is also a Heliconia zebrina 'Plowmanii'.  The difference between it and 'Inca' is that the leaves have purple undersides instead of the green of 'Inca'.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2018, 6:52:26, Marie Nock said:

There is also a Heliconia zebrina 'Plowmanii'.  The difference between it and 'Inca' is that the leaves have purple undersides instead of the green of 'Inca'.

OOO! I LIKE the sound of THAT!! :drool:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 8 months later...

I was at my local garden store today and found one of these Heliconia Zebrina so im giving it a shot in my garden. Planted in shade. 

393B643E-3E0C-4033-8D16-AA664191CDC2.thumb.jpeg.6a8f77af0e52e425574c34b8ed9892df.jpeg

9D7738BC-AA0F-432E-81D5-C4193E847DE5.thumb.jpeg.6c3c100938448bb8a0c9681fd1ee486b.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm still searching for some zebrina specimens...

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 8/3/2019 at 7:43 PM, Hilo Jason said:

I was at my local garden store today and found one of these Heliconia Zebrina so im giving it a shot in my garden. Planted in shade. 

I suspect this would not have done very well in your Fallbrook garden or my Leucadia garden for that matter.  Nice understory plants which are probably just potted greenhouse plants here.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 8/10/2019 at 3:25 AM, Tracy said:

I suspect this would not have done very well in your Fallbrook garden or my Leucadia garden for that matter.  Nice understory plants which are probably just potted greenhouse plants here.

Definitely would not have been happy in Fallbrook. Too hot and dry. Not sure about Leucadia. 

• 1 year later...

Bought one at Garden Exchange in Hilo recently, they had more then.  Mine might be in too much sun after reading this, the info I read while staring at it in the store indicated that it could take direct sun.  I currently have a potted bamboo giving it a bit of shade but not much.