Habanero

Does anyone know this Sabal ?

Habanero

Hello together,

I'm a new member in this forum. I need help for ident. a Sabal palm, I don't know what kind of it is.

I bought it from a dutch dealer, as Sabal minor, but it is no S. minor.

Well, the problem that I have, I live in Zone 7a , and I don't know the hardiness of the sabal.

Hope anybody can help me.

I hope you understand my english.

smkonplett.jpg

smstamm.jpg

smblatt.jpgf149700153t655536874p999649879n3.jpg

f149700153t655536874p999649879n5.jpg

Best wishes,

Bernd

Grasswing

Hello Bernd,

welcome to the forum!

In my opinion it is Sabal palmetto. Leaf bases are white and it is growing more higher than Sabal minor. But be careful with planting it outside, S. palmetto has less low temperatures tolerance than S. minor.

Hope it helped.

Regards Andrew

empireo22

Welcome to the forum. I also think it it is sabal palmetto. BTW your soil looks great! Is it fast draining?

sarasota alex

Welcome to the forum Bernd!

This is a Sabal minor. The leaf morphology is that of a S. minor. I guess the confusing part is the upright growth with the beginning of a trunk there. It resembles what's known in cultivation as S. minor "Louisiana". However, S. Zona's research showed that what's described as "Louisiana" is not genetically different from the rest of the species. He also shows that the arborescence of S. minor is variable across the range and seems to be based on the environmental factors.

Definitely not a S. palmetto. The costa is not nearly prominent enough for it to be a S. palmetto. Not even prominent enough to be a S. x brazoriensis.

stevethegator

Welcome to the forum Bernd!

This is a Sabal minor. The leaf morphology is that of a S. minor. I guess the confusing part is the upright growth with the beginning of a trunk there. It resembles what's known in cultivation as S. minor "Louisiana". However, S. Zona's research showed that what's described as "Louisiana" is not genetically different from the rest of the species. He also shows that the arborescence of S. minor is variable across the range and seems to be based on the environmental factors.

Definitely not a S. palmetto. The costa is not nearly prominent enough for it to be a S. palmetto. Not even prominent enough to be a S. x brazoriensis.

I agree, my first thought was S. "Louisiana" as well

Turtile

This is 100% not Sabal minor / louisiana / brazoriensis. Look at the mid-rib. It runs right through the leaf. The trunk also should begin sideways on all of these plants which it is not.

It looks like a more tropical Sabal such as Sabal bermudana.

• Upvote 1

sarasota alex

Petioles are way too thin for it to be any of the massive Sabals, including S. bermudana. Also the S. bermudanas I've seen already had their leaves recurving by the time they start to trunk. Also S. bermudana would usually have a variegated patch around the hastula.

Mid-rib does run through most of the rib, but weakly, consistent of S. minor.

Below is the Sabal minor "Louisiana" growing at Mercer Arboretum in Houston. Notice a very similar mid-rid anatomy.

IMG_0479.jpg

Stevetoad

Also S. bermudana would usually have a variegated patch around the hastula.

I noticed this on my big sabal yesterday for the first time. Is that a characteristic of only s. bermudana or do other big sabals get this too?

sarasota alex

I noticed this on my big sabal yesterday for the first time. Is that a characteristic of only s. bermudana or do other big sabals get this too?

Steve, most Sabals do to some extent. The only two species I don't remember seeing it on ever are S. minor and S. mauritiiformis.

sonoranfans

Never saw a sabal palmetto with that much blue in it, and Ive seen alot of sabal palmettos. This does look like minor/lousiana in color at least. The yellowing around the hastula was very pronounced in my sabal bermudana I had in AZ. My domingensis, blackburniana, causiarum, minor, mauritiformis dont show this to an appreciable extent, at least compared with my bermudana. Environmental factors can really change a sabals appearance, and this one probably spent some extended time in a greenhouse in cool weather I expect.

Habanero

Dear all,

thank's a lot for your fast replys and help. I look for better pictures this week, I take the winter-protection away. Is it possible that is a hybrid from Sabal m."Louisiana"x bermudana? You need other details from the Sabal xy ?

regards,

Bernd

P.s.: I hope I can sleep well, to much new info ...

GREENHAND

Here are some very old sabal minor palms growing at Avery island. They grow wild all over the area you can see the differance but you can make your on judgment. they are super slow growing.post-59-0-49666900-1367338954_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-03353200-1367338990_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-55957600-1367339025_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-80348700-1367339072_thumb.jpgpost-59-0-22851700-1367339142_thumb.jpg

Palmə häl′ik

Those look like landscaped palms pictured there on Avery Island photos.... Looks like part of a "revitalization" project or sumthin.... Whack one, plant two...

buffy

If its a S. minor, it's fruiting size. Let's see if it sends an inflorescence way above the leaves. That'll make identification easier. :)

sarasota alex

If its a S. minor, it's fruiting size. Let's see if it sends an inflorescence way above the leaves. That'll make identification easier. :)

Excellent point!

Phoenikakias

Petioles are way too thin for it to be any of the massive Sabals, including S. bermudana. Also the S. bermudanas I've seen already had their leaves recurving by the time they start to trunk. Also S. bermudana would usually have a variegated patch around the hastula.

Mid-rib does run through most of the rib, but weakly, consistent of S. minor.

Below is the Sabal minor "Louisiana" growing at Mercer Arboretum in Houston. Notice a very similar mid-rid anatomy.

IMG_0479.jpg

Here are some pics of my bermudana. I have noticed that with age new leaves become more pronouncedly arching or costa palmate.

post-6141-0-50402900-1370931824_thumb.jp

post-6141-0-76557300-1370931872_thumb.jp