IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga maculata/copelandii

cobra2326

Thought I would take a few photos today of my Pinanga maculata and copelandii. These two are very similar palms. From what I'm told, the only botanical difference is a spiral shape to the inflorescence.

copelandii is on the left

post-748-0-09384600-1366384998_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-89978100-1366385012_thumb.jpg

copelandii

post-748-0-21326400-1366385008_thumb.jpg

maculata

post-748-0-33276100-1366385018_thumb.jpg

showing some stilt roots

post-748-0-02026600-1366385023_thumb.jpg

I know a whole bunch of you have maculatas and or copelandiis, so post your photos! I'm curious to see if anyone has a larger one with stilt roots.

• Upvote 4

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Your palms are beautiful!

I'm so glad to hear that Pinanga copelandii and P. maculata are similar.

I seem to kill P. maculatas (not that I've given up yet), but so far so good with my P. copelandii (see photo).

post-4111-0-26851200-1366413551_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Your palms are beautiful!

I'm so glad to hear that Pinanga copelandii and P. maculata are similar.

I seem to kill P. maculatas (not that I've given up yet), but so far so good with my P. copelandii (see photo).

Thanks! Yours is very nice also, looks to be about the same size as my potted palms, and again, that looks very much like a maculata :) Another thing to love about these palms is they're fast growing. Currently the fastest palms I have...

I appreciate the photo too, since it seems harder to find good photos of young plants.

Edited by cobra2326

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Jon, Pinanga maculata is in the top bunch of my favourite Palms thats for sure.

Heres 2 Killer Lookers from Cairns thats always flowers but never seeds....yet...,( the singles in the 3 pics) I havnt any yet but Im very patiently waiting for seed :)

Jon the double is Copelandii (pic 470) and as you can see the leaves are similar but quite different to Maculata, also Ive never heard or seen stilt roots on a Maculata , it should have grey on the underside of the leaf at a young age too. Pete :)

post-5709-0-15728900-1366420076_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-88818400-1366420148_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-97947500-1366420235_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-13648500-1366420315_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the photos Pete! I've seen a few other shots of those plants at Cairns Botanic Gardens and they really are amazing!

As to the morphological differences, I can definitely see a difference in the leaves. It seems that copelandii has broader leaflets that droop more at the tips (5-7 midribs instead of 3-5?). Other than that, the infructescence looks very similar (I'm not a botanist so maybe someone can correct me). A lot of works I've been reading about plants from this region (e.g. Palms of Southern Asia) suggest that plants were named without comparing to similar species in different locales, so who knows?

My copelandii actually has silvery undersides on the leaves, although time will tell if it stays. I also noticed the leaflets being "heavier" and "broader", but wasn't sure if that was just the slight difference in maturation.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

John, those are nice looking Pinanga's, good size too.

Here are a few pics of P. maculate, at least that was what I acquired them as. Good growers and really colorful. I think mine get a tad too much sun, but

none the less are still pretty nice. The leaf is a dark green with visible mottling. Would probably be more pronounced if they were in more shade.

A few adventitious, but no stilt roots. The larger one has been in the ground almost 3 years and the other about 2.

post-1300-0-50396700-1366490566_thumb.jp post-1300-0-77645500-1366490580_thumb.jp post-1300-0-98968300-1366490606_thumb.jp post-1300-0-78686800-1366490626_thumb.jp

post-1300-0-30492400-1366490659_thumb.jp

• Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

ALRIGHT, I see you guys are bringing the big guns now :mrlooney:

Tim, as with all of your stuff, those are beautiful examples of this palm. Love the color in crownshaft and leaves, and I see they also have that awesome fading trunk I've seen in other Pinangas. It's also good to know they can tolerate full sun (at least of the hilo variety), as I've always thought these were a shade-only palm. It's also nice to have some close-ups of the infructescence.

Thanks!

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Thanks for the photos Pete! I've seen a few other shots of those plants at Cairns Botanic Gardens and they really are amazing!

As to the morphological differences, I can definitely see a difference in the leaves. It seems that copelandii has broader leaflets that droop more at the tips (5-7 midribs instead of 3-5?). Other than that, the infructescence looks very similar (I'm not a botanist so maybe someone can correct me). A lot of works I've been reading about plants from this region (e.g. Palms of Southern Asia) suggest that plants were named without comparing to similar species in different locales, so who knows?

My copelandii actually has silvery undersides on the leaves, although time will tell if it stays. I also noticed the leaflets being "heavier" and "broader", but wasn't sure if that was just the slight difference in maturation.

No worries Jon,

The Maculatas in my pics arent from Flecker, the Copelandii is, Jon I can't see any Maculata in your small plant, its something else. Maculata has broad leaflets that don't taper to a point even at a much smaller size.

Bill or Gene should have pics of small Maculata Pete :)

No worries Jon,

The Maculatas in my pics arent from Flecker, the Copelandii is, Jon I can't see any Maculata in your small plant, its something else. Maculata has broad leaflets that don't taper to a point even at a much smaller size.

Bill or Gene should have pics of small Maculata Pete :)

Pete, I was just thinking it was because the leaves are still juvenile, but I'll keep an eye on it then. You have a lot more experience than I do. I'm just learning, but I really appreciate all the help, input and encouragement I get from fellow palmtalkers!

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

My aristatas have stilts just like that ..

got em from EE so should be the real deal

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hi guys I know this isn't the right section but every time I see pinanga maculata I get a chill down my spine, I'm just wanting to know if anyone in Queensland has any for sale, my dream palm

My aristatas have stilts just like that ..

got em from EE so should be the real deal

Pinanga aristata is another Pinanga that is high on my wish list! A beautifully mottled (and colorful), small, rare palm that should be grown a whole lot more. Best of luck with yours!

Hi guys I know this isn't the right section but every time I see pinanga maculata I get a chill down my spine, I'm just wanting to know if anyone in Queensland has any for sale, my dream palm

I think you guys cannot import from Hawaii? If I'm wrong you can get some from Floribunda. Otherwise, rarepalmseeds.com has copelandii and maculata from time to time. Copelandii has a lot of the same desireable features as maculata.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

• 2 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2013‎ ‎10‎:‎25‎:‎13‎, cobra2326 said:

Thought I would take a few photos today of my Pinanga maculata and copelandii. These two are very similar palms. From what I'm told, the only botanical difference is a spiral shape to the inflorescence.

copelandii is on the left

post-748-0-09384600-1366384998_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-89978100-1366385012_thumb.jpg

copelandii

post-748-0-21326400-1366385008_thumb.jpg

maculata

post-748-0-33276100-1366385018_thumb.jpg

showing some stilt roots

post-748-0-02026600-1366385023_thumb.jpg

I know a whole bunch of you have maculatas and or copelandiis, so post your photos! I'm curious to see if anyone has a larger one with stilt roots.

Jon,

Any care advice on the Copelandii?  Awaiting one which will be potted of course and a indoor palm. I have a few "thai mottled" species that have done well for me so hopefully the copelandii is similar culture? any advice?

I got this guy as a 2 leaf seedling just over 14 months ago, I took a chance and planted him straight away, got very lucky with him, he hasn't missed a beat 

IMG_7573.thumb.JPG.a8bcbfa274ba58b88ca5a

Here is Roger just in front of it 

IMG_7626.thumb.JPG.2a150f4d243ef3c70decd

• Upvote 5

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey Mandrew, is this guy planted out or in a pot?  If its in the ground could you provide a little info as to sun exposure and soil condition it's planted in.  I would love to have one of these in the Keys.

These are such great palms for the garden. They always look good, problem free, and don't get huge. 

Here is an update to the photo above taken in 2013, they are now about the same size and are quite the pair. 

Tim

P1040362.jpg

• Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Completely agree with Tim as to the versatility of P. maculata.  A trio in the pre-dawn wet.

P_maculata2014_09_jpg_fbb4e44929bc578678

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 4/20/2017, 1:09:42, BPK Palm Addict said:

Hey Mandrew, is this guy planted out or in a pot?  If its in the ground could you provide a little info as to sun exposure and soil condition it's planted in.  I would love to have one of these in the Keys.

Both are in the ground. They get a ton of water and are in bright light.

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2017, 6:35:56, Mandrew968 said:

Both are in the ground. They get a ton of water and are in bright light.

Does he get any direct sun?

Thanks Mandrew.  Just got a small one and trying to find a place for it.

IMG_4469.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 10 months later...