IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm in pool area

LI_Pets

I have a spot for one palm in the birdcage where the pool is,

It is about a 4' area can't be something that get's to tall, or spreads very far.

Was thinking sago but welcome your input.

No chlorine will affect the plant.

tks

You could use one of the Chamaedorea species. C. radicalis is one of the few I can grow, but since you are in Florida you should have more options. A sago will eventually get too big. (Btw a sago is a cycad, not a palm if you are talking about Cycas revoluta). Ceratozamia hildae is a good cycad for a small area.

Is the area in sun or shade?

Yes Chamaedorea work great in the pool cage. I have C. cataractarum in mine. But if you would like to grow one with more height C. seiffrizii would be a good one.

LI Pets, depending on your unique situation, here's some more ideas, in addition to what's already been suggested:

Ravenea hildebrandtii

Licuala grandis (there's more Licuala that can work)

Lytocaryum weddelianum (more but I forgot names! lol)

Rhapidophyllum hystrix

Rhapis excelsa, and an article by Palmbob for etc., that can work well.

And, there's more short palms out there that might work well for you...just gotta know more about your particular scenario.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

The majority of these suggested probably won't be long term plants in your area since although its under screening those end of pool deck planters invariably get quite cold when we get rough winters. I wouldn't go with a sago palm for the reasons talked about above but there are quite a few other cycads that fit the bill nicely and are very sculptural. It really depends on what you want for overall height of the planting bed. If you'd like it to be shorter and a bit more sculptural I'd try either a cycad like Dioon edule or an Allagoptera (I've had good luck with leucocalyx) and then surround it with hardy bromeliads that are colorful (like xCryptbergia rubra). If pool is shaded the Ceratozamias are good but if in sun they tend to not look the best in central Florida since they yellow. You could even go with more colorful bromeliads and just pull them out during our harsher winters. You want to try to plant plants hardy to the low 20s as focal point plants because its a pain to change them out later, especially in pool areas.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

LI Pets, how much and what kind of sun goes for that area? What's your average low temps....maybe you could post your garden zone, and then it could be easier to figure out if you've got good chances for something like Allagoptera arenaria? <----very pretty!! :yay: And yummy!!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

C. radicalis and rhapis excelsa looks for some shade I think, so those will not work.

This spot is very much full sun facing south 9 A.

The Dioon edule & ravenea hildebrandtii looks like a good possibilities.

I have the Rhapidophyllum hystrix and Allagoptera arenaria already.