IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lodoicea Maldivica seeds wanted

bobchamnan

Anyone ever heard the lead of where and how much for the seed of lodoicea maldivica? This one has always been my quest.

You would have a better chance of locating some in your neck of the woods, than in the new world!

Your best chance of really getting any is, going to the source. Yes...make a trip there. But the last I heard, you can purchase some. Not sure though on the price.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That makes me wish I could own a private jet and just head there and try for a few. Some day maybe someone in Hawaii will sell them???

Cindy Adair

I had heard they are $7-800 at the source .

I bought 2, one for myself..the other for my brother in law for $1500 each. both germinated and are doing well

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I think collecting them in the wild is not allowed

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

That makes me wish I could own a private jet and just head there and try for a few. Some day maybe someone in Hawaii will sell them???

Here's a shot of some growing in Hawaii.Looks like they still have a year or two before they will be ready...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-11789900-1366485055_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I want one just as a conversation piece for a coffee table. does anyone have a non-viable or already germinated plant that they dont need/want the seed anymore? :hmm:

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I want one just as a conversation piece for a coffee table. does anyone have a non-viable or already germinated plant that they dont need/want the seed anymore? :hmm:

Ha,ha.......just so you KNOW, these seeds that are "old" or not viable are never just discarded. Their usually sold for around $250 each.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ha,ha.......just so you KNOW, these seeds that are "old" or not viable are never just discarded. Their usually sold for around $250 each.

Oh, I'm fully aware of this. Its just tough to find someone who is willing to part with one.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Yea, it's practically impossible to get one from somebody. BUT...a IPS member in Palm Beach found one at the swap shop a few years ago and paid almost nothing for it. Real lucky!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

i am looking for one at local estate sales. its just a matter of time B)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

She could disguise the seed as a "baby bump"....you're having twins

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Here's a shot of some growing in Hawaii.Looks like they still have a year or two before they will be ready...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I was on Oahu and saw those recently. The bot. garden doesn't even try to protect them from thieves. Someone could jump the fence cut down the seed and be gone without anyone knowing.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f