IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Experimenting with Lytocaryum Weddellianum

Small palm

I found and old 4200K 70W lamp with juice left in it. And I'll repot to a pot that is maybe 2-3 cm wider all around but only 1-2cm deeper. Unless I want to bury the roots, since about 5 cm of them are visible above ground, but I think I will leave them above ground. This is how it looks now:

373821779_20220730_122510rs.thumb.jpg.f59de5fe3952175f29ce6e415e6dbd06.jpg

1492850359_20220730_122553rcs.thumb.jpg.aa697c4e5110e4d113ad5404a4fa02e3.jpg

I looked into my old notes regarding moistness and roots at the bottom: When I potted it up 5 years ago, the roots looked tidy but no roots the lower centimeters. I exchanged 95% of the soil then (I don't do that as a rule but I changed soil type, and it wasn't very root bound so it rather easily fell off). The following 2 years I have notes of how the bottom was clearly more moist (even a bit after 3 years). I tried to measure it today, but I can't reach deeper than 2/3 (I don't want to force it), but it is more moist from 1/2 to 2/3 than the top half. The resistance to the rod might indicate there's a lot of roots at the bottom but on the other hand there are no mentionable roots underneath, there are some rather large ones at the top though as you can see. It will be interesting to see when I repot how much roots there are at the bottom and how root bound it is. 

If I look at Palmpedia, there is actually at least one outdoors young palm where the fronds reach the ground like mine:

Ppedia3.jpg.1f79f0bc40d1afab2de629f9dbc78f26.jpg

But also at least a couple with a bit smaller fronds, older ones, where fronds face upwards more, not much drooping:

Ppedia1.jpg.9a73a515f05de8cb61a5faa735f3ac34.jpg

Ppedia12.thumb.jpg.710815b9ad14a7f2db531fe43ef0e958.jpg

And the last one has a pot not much bigger than mine. Regarding fronds it seems to me that either they are a bit bigger for younger palms or it adapts size a lot to circumstances. In any case it makes it feel less weird that mine have bigger fronds at the bottom which reach below soil level. Still the newest fronds are too small and partly brown already.

All in all though, I think it is easy to point out potential reasons why it isn't 100% in shape, but how to explain that it keeps trying and trying to grow new flower stalks? As far as I know (and for my Ch radicalis) normal palm behaviour is to attempt a flower once, maybe twice per year, not relentlessly?