MKIVRYAN

Local Arizona Thread

Coral trees in bloom also one of my favorites 

096CAF89-8E50-47A5-8B38-47E4BCD1E0C7.jpeg

• Like 3

Guaiacum tree another favorite that is probably a little rarer than most in Phoenix 

008EB6EC-E58E-4A4A-A94A-5A97C8F931E9.jpeg

Edited by 96720
Picture
  • Like 3

wase471111

this is the hottest corner of my yard, so far, everyone has been good here, even after last years hell summer

the mule is new, everything else has been here awhile..

Enjoy1676532241_hotcorner.thumb.jpg.72949a0d5446888c14651b4d21045725.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is anyone growing beccariophoenix palms in Phoenix in full sun 

xoRudy
46 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Is anyone growing beccariophoenix palms in Phoenix in full sun 

Mines in full sun, not looking good. I have to put some shaders up when temp gets too high. Everyone always recommends these palms for the desert because they can keep up with our cold but I do not recommend due to our summers.

I have 5 in varying amounts of sun the one in full sun doesn’t look that good but the ones in shade are beautiful!!

0B12089A-624D-49A6-AF7E-AAA785395457.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

wase471111

nothing looks "good" out here now, except my barrel cactus and saguaro, but, these look pretty good, all things considered!

I've started deep soaking my newer trees at least once a week until these 115+ degree days ease up a bit...Is that too much water, or, you cant overwater when its this hot???

thanks

• Like 1

I leave water running all the time and move it from tree to tree I don’t think you can overwater this time of year. I have hoses running all over the jungle 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

aztropic
On 6/20/2021 at 10:37 AM, wase471111 said:

nothing looks "good" out here now, except my barrel cactus and saguaro, but, these look pretty good, all things considered!

I've started deep soaking my newer trees at least once a week until these 115+ degree days ease up a bit...Is that too much water, or, you cant overwater when its this hot???

thanks

Can't overwater... Imagine yourself, standing in place of that palm...no hat :crying:

All day long in 115F temperatures,full blazing sun.

I'm deep soaking twice a week in ground, and twice a day in pots! That's what it takes to produce good looking plants for sale in the Arizona desert.:P

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

wase471111
31 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Can't overwater... Imagine yourself, standing in place of that palm...no hat :crying:

All day long in 115F temperatures,full blazing sun.

I'm deep soaking twice a week in ground, and twice a day in pots! That's what it takes to produce good looking plants for sale in the Arizona desert.:P

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

thanks man, I was hoping you would chime in, since I know you take fanttastic care of your stuff, and I try to do the same!

I was especially concerned with the 5 new trees I have, all less than 8 months in the ground, and didnt want to flood them out. My cactus experience always taught me "less is best", but, its a whole different world when these trees are involved. 

one quick question: if it goes back down to "normal" (103-109) high temps, do you still follow that extreme regimen?

Thanks again, and stay frosty!

Jeff P

How much water is considered a deep soak? Is there a ballpark amount of gallons per plant? 

aztropic

30 to 50 gallons of water per plant is a deep soak. If you have a standard 2 gallon per hour drip,run it for about 15 HOURS strait - not the 15 minutes the landscapers programed it to.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona