MKIVRYAN

Local Arizona Thread

BillDaCat8
16 minutes ago, aztropic said:

I probably over water for the most part... Just something I like to do. Like walking the dog.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I hear ya.  I enjoy it as well. 

• Like 1

RichAZ

I’ve got the drip set for 60 min every other day when it gets hot. Today definitely qualifies as hot.

• Like 3

If your plants look good at once a week you are fine my soil if you want to call it that is more rock than dirt I water every other day and some palms like Chambeyronia gets lots of water 

wase471111

new to the forum, and sort of new to the world of palms, but have been growing cacti and other stuff for decades, in Chicago and now in the nw tip of phoenix; 2 new palms this week, a "Bizzie" in the front yard, and a "pineapple" in the back!

great forum, great photos, nice to be here!

IMG_0876.jpg

pineapple 2020.jpg

• Like 3

Is anyone growing Ravenea xerophila and if you are how much sun will they take.

• Like 1

Tom in Tucson
2 hours ago, 96720 said:

Mine is exposed to approximately 80% sun. It's a small seedling around 8 years old.

Hi 99˚, Lo 65˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 3

GottmitAlex
57 minutes ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Mine is exposed to approximately 80% sun. It's a small seedling around 8 years old.

Hi 99˚, Lo 65˚

Nice

aztropic
22 hours ago, 96720 said:

I'm growing a few in different exposures.I think this is a full sun palm here without any worries.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200928_170334496.jpg

IMG_20200928_170420568.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you! I have 2 I will plant them in full sun 

wase471111
35 minutes ago, Coasta said:

@wase471111 nice canary island!! Did you purchase at moon valley?

thanks; it is a really nice one..

It did come from Moon Valley; how could you tell? :greenthumb:

• Like 1

wase471111

here's a bismark, almost 30 days into the ground in far north phoenix

bizzy 2 9-30-2020.jpeg

bizzy 9-30-20.jpeg

Edited by wase471111
  • Like 2

aztropic

Fantastic species choice for the desert! It will amaze you with its speed of growth,once established. Probably will end up being your most trouble free palm.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

wase471111

thanks, I hope you are correct..
Between the Canary Island Pineapple Date Palm,  and this one, both planted a week apart, I am hoping they were good choices for this heat machine called Phoenix!

is there a "rough" time line on how long those both take to be "established"?  I tried to time it, so that they could be planted once the heat "death grip" was over, which I think it is now,  and then, to have at least 6 months to become "established"..since they were both planted in September, I assume by next February, 6 months later, they should be well established?

thanks for your advice!:greenthumb:

• Like 1

wase471111

new washingtonia hybrid planted today in the back yard...

1409719258_wash.Hybrid10-20.thumb.jpg.f4ef39b7636e2c240ae5c57dd74a9118.jpg

Edited by wase471111

aztropic

Looks good now but that is the one you will probably be wondering why you planted it. Mexican fans are fast growers,and before you know it,all you have is a telephone pole in the backyard that you can't reach the fronds to trim. Queens are a bad choice too as they do poorly under our desert conditions.Better choice would probably have been a mule palm as they are commonly available locally up to 48" box size. Butia would be another good local choice for the long haul... Speaking from experience.:lol:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

wase471111

The trunk on this guy is really nice;)

Yes, I thought about how big this might get in the long run, but, its a hybrid version, supposedly only growing a fraction of the size of a true washingtonia..

Time will tell; I'm not getting any younger, and want to enjoy certain things as much as I can, while I am still healthy enough to enjoy them!

One of my neighbors has 2 in their yard, probably 25 feet tall, and I think it looks kinda cool seeing them in the open desert.

We back up to an open wash, and we're pretty much in a mountain valley area, so its really nice to see as many palms as possible out here!

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

• Like 1

Coasta

@wase471111 i could tell because I always go to moon valley and am always impressed at how long the fronds are on there canary islands. I have one planted that I purchased at a different nursery and it has shorter fronds. From what I understand, this has to do with moon valley growing those in some shade so the fronds stretch out,, but only time will tell. Below is mine. I have recently learned as well that canary islands hybridized easily. There is also the difference as yours are more upright. Mine have some curvature. Hopefully my canary island fronds do get longer as others here have suggested. :). 20200827_164242.thumb.jpg.39cec33e5bc3e60ab8928461dcf2e6ce.jpg

• Like 1

Coasta

Also that washingtonia that is said to be a hybrid. I notice that sign at moon valley as well. I will have to post a separate topic on it, as the sign moon valley has says it doesn't get tall. You have a really nice one!

• Like 1

Rod

I've had ravenea xerophylla growing in full sun for 15 years!  Right next to the street facing west - couldn't get any hotter with sun exposure than that!  Full, Full sun!  Very slow grower!

rod

north phoenix

Is anyone growing thrinax eckmanii if so how much sun will it take 

Is anyone growing coccothrinax argentata if so how much sun will it take 

aztropic

I grow both in Arizona and would consider them both full sun palms,even in our area.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

wase471111

speaking of growing in Arizona, I was just at Fry's and they had several nice, large "majesty" palms, for 12 bucks, in 2 gallon pots; can these be grown outside here, or are they strickly an indoor plant?

thanks

GottmitAlex
2 hours ago, wase471111 said:

speaking of growing in Arizona, I was just at Fry's and they had several nice, large "majesty" palms, for 12 bucks, in 2 gallon pots; can these be grown outside here, or are they strickly an indoor plant?

thanks

I think you can grow them there. Just grow them under shade for the first couple of years. They do require a lot of water. They are water hogs.

• Like 1

wase471111

thanks; water hogs and Arizona desert arent a very desirable combination!

• Upvote 1

aztropic

Tough grow but can be done with lots of protection. Our winter cold doesn't seem to bother them but their thin leaflets do fry easily with too much sun exposure. I have one growing between 2 houses started from a 2 gallon bucket that has survived for several years. Only problem is the taller it gets,the more it burns each summer.:( Looks like it will never 'adapt' to full Arizona sun, but I do enjoy it as it looks lush and tropical in this spot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200520_145710437_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

Palmfarmer
On 10/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, wase471111 said:

thanks; water hogs and Arizona desert arent a very desirable combination!

ammend with clay? I have mine planted in a Clay spot and it is growing fine and it only needs water once a month or so to saturate the soil.