Jump to content
MKIVRYAN

Local Arizona Thread

Recommended Posts

AZPalms
6 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

 

Trachycarpus Wagnerianus. Super nice looking. This guy will be near the pool. 

D4238680-0248-4478-87E2-553EA018F2B6.jpeg

I *used* to hate on the Trachys, BUT I planted out a Wagnerianus and have grown to appreciate them much more. Takes more sun than Fortunei for sure, the stiff fronds are awesome for wind. Doesn’t mind wet cold soil, handles drought and heat. Mine has never even yellowed or showed spotting anything! Reminds me of Cocothrinax a bit as well. Gets a thumbs up from me. 

B416CA9A-6F9F-467C-9CBA-104B124AC59D.jpeg

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillDaCat8

ACOELORRHAPHE WRIGHTII

Phil’s suggestion.

Likes wet feet. Even swampy. Tolerates dry air. Sounds like a winner here with a dedicated dripper circuit. 

 

 

C87E33FB-58EA-46E5-AAC1-3EF9BFD442D4.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillDaCat8

beahea sp. super silver

E2F99185-5B20-41E4-A318-ECCECF27020B.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillDaCat8

Brahea decumbens

This guy will be cool out in the front yard    

4FC5773B-C9A8-448D-B09F-B6E7CE7A52A1.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms

Bill you’ve been bitten by the bug, you did great with your pickups. I’m going to grab a cold one. Keep going! That Wrightii would be great near a pool. I saw a nice 15g in Ft. Meyers over the weekend for $50. I almost pounced but it was too big for the plane. Maybe I should have gotten it.. want...need one!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillDaCat8

 

Dracaena draco. Not a palm.  I know. Still a cool plant. 

1D86D207-9CBD-43C9-A3C7-549FD14ABBD1.jpeg

1C0C975C-E896-4F7C-AC2B-4548E5A8A867.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Padraic
On 2/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, BillDaCat8 said:

Bismarck’s had bottomed out in their 14” long tubes

Hi BillDaCat8, I am new here. Starting to grow palm in Yuma after moving here to retire. After read thru the AZ forum, see you started a year ahead of me.  

I got some Bismarck seeds and try to germinate them. What is your seed soil mixture or general palm soil? What was the advice to plant the Bismarck below grade for the root? I got a 25 gallon Bismarck that needs to go the ground soon. 

Potted palm from the store seems to be sensitive to the sun and wind since I have two California Fan palms almost dying on me and they are in life support by transferring back in the pots for finer environmental control. I don't know how much water should I do in this area. We have fine sand, it doesn't seem to drain fast. I am thinking to add coarse sand or bark to help drainage. 

So many questions and so little time.

Thanks.

Padraic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Garcia3
4 hours ago, AZPalms said:

This is how it all starts... started with me just buying a few palms for the pool area. Next thing I know it’s bringing palms on planes from trips, joining Palmtalk, buying more palms for different sun exposure areas of the yard, then it’s pushing zones with tropicals, then it’s tropical plants to compliment palms, then it’s getting a divorce over palm addiction lol! Just kidding! 

On this recent trip to a couple of local Florida nurseries, even my wife knew the Latin name and genus of a couple palms. Proud husband.

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... Couldn't agree more. I am currently in the tropical plants phase of this cycle. @BillDaCat8 Very interested in your experience with the JXB Hybrid.  I have a pair myself and although they don't seem as sun hardy as a regular Butia (mine seem to need late  afternoon shade otherwise they burn) they seem to be doing very well, amazing trunk development so far!!  Also @aztropic  any particular reason you mulch the base of your palms with seashells?  It looks cool, but does it also serve a purpose? Did anyone else notice that, Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic
1 hour ago, Garcia3 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA..... Couldn't agree more. I am currently in the tropical plants phase of this cycle. @BillDaCat8 Also @aztropic  any particular reason you mulch the base of your palms with seashells?  It looks cool, but does it also serve a purpose? Did anyone else notice that, Lol

Just an idea I picked up from visiting Florida and the Bahamas. A lot of people in those areas use seashells as mulch and to line their driveways.Here in Arizona,we generally use rocks. (whatever material is commonly available locally) Seashells in Arizona is something you just don't see so their use creates a feeling that you could be next to the ocean on a tropical island with palm trees everywhere,which is sometimes better than the reality of cacti,115F, and 2% humidity.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BillDaCat8
11 hours ago, aztropic said:

That's how it all starts! Before you know it,you'll have run out of space and the backyard will have turned into a jungle in the middle of the desert.

Great score on the "vulcano" looks like the real deal so far.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

 

11 hours ago, AZPalms said:

This is how it all starts... started with me just buying a few palms for the pool area. Next thing I know it’s bringing palms on planes from trips, joining Palmtalk, buying more palms for different sun exposure areas of the yard, then it’s pushing zones with tropicals, then it’s tropical plants to compliment palms, then it’s getting a divorce over palm addiction lol! Just kidding! 

On this recent trip to a couple of local Florida nurseries, even my wife knew the Latin name and genus of a couple palms. Proud husband.

 

11 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Depending on the sun exposure of your patio area, I’d wrap that area with palms and tropical plants. Make a nice shade and privacy barrier. Maybe a couple of banana, some Ti... can I come over and plant haha! 

Yeah, I know.  So much for a “low maintenance” yard.

 Fortunately the wife is onboard. She enjoys visiting the nurseries and talking to the experienced people there.  She even helps me dig! We make quite a good digging team actually.  She and I knocked out my second 24gal Mule in about an hour a couple weekends ago. 

We’ve still got my entire front yard to landscape. And the backyard is an ongoing project as well.  So, I should be able to find homes for all of these guys.  And, yes, probably even more.  

C17C84D5-D7D5-48C1-AF8E-89A3A30C2917.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalmguy

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hi. I'm new to the site and pleased to see there is a local AZ thread. I look forward to learning and sharing with the group. 

Best,

Brandon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hillizard
17 hours ago, BillDaCat8 said:

ACOELORRHAPHE WRIGHTII

Phil’s suggestion.

Likes wet feet. Even swampy. Tolerates dry air. Sounds like a winner here with a dedicated dripper circuit. 

 

 

C87E33FB-58EA-46E5-AAC1-3EF9BFD442D4.jpeg

Yes, doesn't seem like you can overwater them. I have found that strong summer sun can burn the leaves, at least where I live, so a canopy of plants that filters light a bit may be useful.  You'll just have to plant and see... ;)

Acoelorrhaphe_wrightii.png

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
11 hours ago, aztropic said:

Just an idea I picked up from visiting Florida and the Bahamas. A lot of people in those areas use seashells as mulch and to line their driveways.Here in Arizona,we generally use rocks. (whatever material is commonly available locally) Seashells in Arizona is something you just don't see so their use creates a feeling that you could be next to the ocean on a tropical island with palm trees everywhere,which is sometimes better than the reality of cacti,115F, and 2% humidity.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Scott, I was about to inquire where you had picked these up.. Agree, a very different look vs. the typical gravel/ stone.  Wonder if it helps those palms that appreciate some extra Calcium during the growing season here.. I'd imagine it doesn't hurt.. Too bad none of our local big box stores / other L.S. supply places sells bags of the stuff.

Padraic, AZPalmguy, Welcome to the forum.. 

BillDaCat8, :greenthumb:Nice Haul!!  You will be busy indeed.. And yes, once the madness starts, fo' get about stopping it..    As someone i know in Tucson once told himself   "Have to remember to leave myself enough $ for food, at least for the Dog".

Max, if the other half of a marriage / relationship, who might not consider them self a plant nerd / palm nut,  yet can recite Latin names, or, at least makes the effort to understand us plant geeks ..is def. a keeper, lol..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Here's my group of Jubaea seedlings - offspring from the blue Jubaea at Mission Bay.

1 appears to have been hybridized as it has grown 3 times as fast as the others.Looks like they're ready for 3 or 5 gallon pots at this point.Arizona grown from seed.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15526968483817632450160427289203.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms
5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Scott, I was about to inquire where you had picked these up.. Agree, a very different look vs. the typical gravel/ stone.  Wonder if it helps those palms that appreciate some extra Calcium during the growing season here.. I'd imagine it doesn't hurt.. Too bad none of our local big box stores / other L.S. supply places sells bags of the stuff.

Padraic, AZPalmguy, Welcome to the forum.. 

BillDaCat8, :greenthumb:Nice Haul!!  You will be busy indeed.. And yes, once the madness starts, fo' get about stopping it..    As someone i know in Tucson once told himself   "Have to remember to leave myself enough $ for food, at least for the Dog".

Max, if the other half of a marriage / relationship, who might not consider them self a plant nerd / palm nut,  yet can recite Latin names, or, at least makes the effort to understand us plant geeks ..is def. a keeper, lol..

Nathan, ageeed! I think I’ll hang onto her! She knows Roystonea is my favorite. She noticed all of the Regias around Florida and said “look at all of the Roystoneas”. I don’t even think she knows the common “Cuban/Florida Royal” name!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Garcia3
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, aztropic said:

Here's my group of Jubaea seedlings - offspring from the blue Jubaea at Mission Bay.

1 appears to have been hybridized as it has grown 3 times as fast as the others.Looks like they're ready for 3 or 5 gallon pots at this point.Arizona grown from seed.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15526968483817632450160427289203.jpg

Amazing!! and with those Hybrids in the mix, it is even more interesting.  Really hope they all make it!  When you collected Jubaea seed did you see any other palms in the area that would have been an obvious candidate for hybridizing?      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

No idea on what it could have crossed with - probably queen if I had to guess. Upon closer inspection,there appears to be a second plant growing a little faster than the rest...

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

15530317624522883452164513303853.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

15530319281907390252880755005381.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

Sorry, my Arizona-related question is unrelated to the photos above.  Please return to the usual topic of discussion after this interruption, which I apologize for in advance.

Question:  I am looking at homes for sale online in greater Phoenix/Valley of the Sun.  I keep seeing huge, two-storey homes overlooking each other's backyards without any privacy screening.  If those homes were in California, people would have planted a dense screening row of Italian Cypress to prevent the neighbours from peering over into their yard all the time.  Why haven't I seen a single Italian Cypress tree in those photos?  Do they not grow well in the Valley of the Sun?  Are they regarded as a fire hazard?  Do they interfere with the solar rooftops too much by casting shade?  Is Arizona too dry for Italian Cypress?  I thought Italian Cypress enjoyed dry weather, and certainly irrigation should be an option if Phoenix is too dry.

I saw somewhere online that most people in Phoenix use ficus nitida as tall screening hedges instead, but I haven't seen ANY screening hedges so far.  I can't imagine that ficus nitida would grow tall enough anyway.  It would take at least a 25 foot tall hedge (or row of Italian Cypress) to block out the view of your neighbour's two-storey home.  In any case, if I buy a house in Phoenix just to rent it out for the next twenty years, I wouldn't want a hedge that had to be maintained.  I would want a dense row of Italian Cypress instead because they require no trimming ever.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZPalms
15 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Sorry, my Arizona-related question is unrelated to the photos above.  Please return to the usual topic of discussion after this interruption, which I apologize for in advance.

Question:  I am looking at homes for sale online in greater Phoenix/Valley of the Sun.  I keep seeing huge, two-storey homes overlooking each other's backyards without any privacy screening.  If those homes were in California, people would have planted a dense screening row of Italian Cypress to prevent the neighbours from peering over into their yard all the time.  Why haven't I seen a single Italian Cypress tree in those photos?  Do they not grow well in the Valley of the Sun?  Are they regarded as a fire hazard?  Do they interfere with the solar rooftops too much by casting shade?  Is Arizona too dry for Italian Cypress?  I thought Italian Cypress enjoyed dry weather, and certainly irrigation should be an option if Phoenix is too dry.

I saw somewhere online that most people in Phoenix use ficus nitida as tall screening hedges instead, but I haven't seen ANY screening hedges so far.  I can't imagine that ficus nitida would grow tall enough anyway.  It would take at least a 25 foot tall hedge (or row of Italian Cypress) to block out the view of your neighbour's two-storey home.  In any case, if I buy a house in Phoenix just to rent it out for the next twenty years, I wouldn't want a hedge that had to be maintained.  I would want a dense row of Italian Cypress instead because they require no trimming ever.

Thoughts?

It’s because everyone stays inside, too hot. No need for privacy if we’re all hiding in our igloos waiting for the furnace to be turned off. Jk. My neighbor behind me has Cypress as do quite a few in my neighborhood. I think it’s more of an HOA thing than anything else. Also, my home is two story and I can only see my neighbors backyard which is a one story behind our house because of window layout in my home. I don’t know why people don’t have more height/view restricting plants. 

Also, I don’t really mind if people see into my backyard. I get to know my neighbors and visa versa. Doesn’t bother me. 

Not sure if this answers your questions. 

Edit: Tried uploading a photo. Too large. 

Max 

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Italian cypress is used here in Arizona but one of the drawbacks is that with the low humidity,spider mites ferociously attack them to the point of death unless you are spraying,or always hoseing them off.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Italian cypress is used here in Arizona but one of the drawbacks is that with the low humidity,spider mites ferociously attack them to the point of death unless you are spraying,or always hoseing them off.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Same situation here in Cali 10b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merlyn2220
3 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I would want a dense row of Italian Cypress instead because they require no trimming ever.

I thought about Italian cypress for a fairly fast growing hedge wall, but you'd have to plant a LOT of them to create a solid barrier.  And they have a habit of randomly dying or going super sparse even here in FL with the rain and humidity.  I went for sweet Viburnum for rapid growth, a solid screen, and they'll grow 5 feet a year in height if you let them!  I planted 16" tall ones in April 2018 and they are mostly 50-60" tall at the beginning of March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandy Loam

Wow.  I didn't know that sweet viburnum were very good for Arizona. In Florida, mine don't do well if we go without rain for two weeks (thirsty). Also, they max out at about 15 feet in height, which doesn't hide a large two storey home.

As for a hedge of ficus nitida in Phoenix, don't they defoliate in the colder winters there?  If so, you'd lose your privacy screen until it recovered, possibly at a smaller size.  Also, I am not sure how tall they get. 

Thanks for all the comments, Arizona, and please keep them coming.  I wish I had just started a new thread instead of hijacking your Arizona palm thread temporarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
29 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Wow.  I didn't know that sweet viburnum were very good for Arizona. In Florida, mine don't do well if we go without rain for two weeks (thirsty). Also, they max out at about 15 feet in height, which doesn't hide a large two storey home.

As for a hedge of ficus nitida in Phoenix, don't they defoliate in the colder winters there?  If so, you'd lose your privacy screen until it recovered, possibly at a smaller size.  Also, I am not sure how tall they get. 

Thanks for all the comments, Arizona, and please keep them coming.  I wish I had just started a new thread instead of hijacking your Arizona palm thread temporarily.

Actually, forget things like Sweet Viburnum ( or any other Viburnum sp. / varieties ), Photinia, or Ligustrum ( non native Privet ) here in the Desert.. Full summer sun will kill them faster than anything..  Any nursery who'd tell you different isn't worth doing business with.

Another thing not mentioned regarding Italian Cypress here is not only are they attacked by Spider Mites, they also collect massive amounts of dust during our Monsoon Season Dust Storms..  I could never keep the ones stocked in the nursery i worked for looking good. Rinsing them after a good dusting made a mess.. Last year,  our back patio looked like someone had dumped brown flour all over everything after one of the bigger dust events. I can't imagine having to deal with 20ft tall dust mops surrounding my yard after a similar event.. Not worth the time..

Here, you have to think about stuff like Bougainvillea ..the big spiny types, native stuff like various Rhus ( Sumac ), Native Privet, ( Foresteria sp. ) Condalia, Texas Mtn. Laurel,  Desert Hackberry ( Celtis pallida ) among other desert tough stuff for creating screen.. Ficus nitida, Twisted Myrtle, and Mastic (Pistacia lentiscus) are all evergreen year round. Ficus only defoliates when it gets really cold / during bad freezes.. None did this year which was kind of weird considering i saw 29-27F in the neighborhood at least 6 times through the winter.. Benjamin Ficus also planted in a few yards here didn't defoliate either.  Tamarind is another tree one could use as a screen, if trained / shaped to do so.. a lot of work to do so though.   Our heat doesn't bother them at all.. 

Some people still use Oleander but with Oleander Scorch spreading like wildfire across the valley, it won't be much longer before you don't see them used near as much.. The leaf litter they generate ( unless cleaned regularly ) is also apparently a magnet for Bark Scorpions, or is what people who work for pest control companies have told me.

As for height, there are many 45+ ft Ficus nitida. all over the valley, especially around here in Chandler, Mesa, and Tempe.  Only problem w / ficus can be the roots.. I would never plant them on a small lot. Even kept trimmed / smaller -sized.. the roots will wander, seeking water, no matter what..  That might not bother one person, but the neighbors might be seeing red. I also believe some of the newer housing developments don't allow home owners to plant Ficus anymore. Sissoo is another that is being outlawed in newer developments as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×