IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

On 12/16/2018 at 2:03 PM, BillDaCat8 said:

We have sprouts!

Four of the five Sargentii seeds have sprouted and four of the 15 Bismarckia’s have shot up.  

Of the Bismarck’s, only eight sank during their initial soaking. So, I wasn’t super optimistic about the whole batch. Four is still more trees than I’ve got room for in my yard anyway considering I already have two in the ground. 

I’ve “potted” up two of the sargentii in used oatmeal cups for now. I’ll do something larger when we get to some warmer weather.  

They’re just in plastic buckets out in the garage. Cheap Xmas lights to keep them warm. Have an Ecobee remote sensor in a ziplock bag in there as well. That way I can monitor temps with my phone  

Bismarck’s had bottomed out in their 14” long tubes that I’d sprouted them in. Came up with an idea for a nice and deep “pot” for them to continue growing in. 30” ought to be enough depth for them methinks.  This setup should be super easy just unwrap when it comes time to transplant into the ground. 

Sargentiis went into gallon buckets too. 

D99D8A86-B0B9-48C2-9603-826FD72C0E79.jpeg

FE709045-E030-4ED0-8FD1-85D44B436128.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've been growing A. digitata for 15 yrs on the side of Superstition Mt.  As well as A. geandidieri for the past 5.  Many Bursera as well as other pachys grow well here.  The U of A has a monster grandidieri growing in a sheltered spot there for over 20 yrs.

Edited by mcrawford
  • Like 1

George Sparkman in Fallbrook, Ca. has 15 & 25 gal size Adansonias in several species.  Good stuff and great pricing.  His site is: cycads-n-palms.com

2 hours ago, raimeiken said:

Anyone try growing Chambeyronia macrocarpa here? Am I wasting money for even trying? 

I had one, and..  had no issues w/ it in the shadiest part of my yard. Lost it only because i'd not watered it for several weeks ( ..same time i ended up in bed for 3 weeks after suffering serious heat exhaustion ) during the hottest part of early summer. Was in a 5 gal pot. Pretty sure it might have done better if in the ground.  Aside from the obvious that did it in, much tougher than i'd suspected it might be here though. Worth a try for sure.. Just no direct sun, at all, during summer at least. Kentiopsis o was another surprise that did pretty well in the same spot / situation for me here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, raimeiken said:

Anyone try growing Chambeyronia macrocarpa here? Am I wasting money for even trying? 

I don’t think anything is wasting your money if it’s something you want and can justify. It certainly won’t thrive here with summer heat and winter cold but I think it will survive. Me personally I push the limits within reason for my yard. But I say go for it and you may be surprised how well it does. If not, an excuse to try another palm. 

• Like 4

yeah I have a nice shady protected spot for one. Just wanted to hear people's experience with it here, if it's totally a big no go for a few that have tried, then I probably won't bother with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

yeah I have a nice shady protected spot for one. Just wanted to hear people's experience with it here, if it's totally a big no go for a few that have tried, then I probably won't bother with it.

I hear ya.. would like to hear Scott's ( Aztropic) thoughts as well since my experience here has been much more limited, and his yard shows what has / can be grown with a little thought, etc. Wouldn't want to encourage someone to try something someone with more experience here indicates wouldn't stand a chance longer term even if i always want to encourage trialing newer things. 

On the other hand, no doubt i have been a bit surprised as to what i have.. that has done well, or at least exceeded initial thoughts under our sometimes challenging growing conditions for certain things i wouldn't have expected to have lasted through their 1st or 2nd summer in the desert..  And that is being restricted to growing in pots atm. Have had  people visiting or here at the house fixing stuff comment asking how i have been able to keep what i have alive.. let alone wishing me continued luck, lol.  A more challenging endeavor than if i could put stuff in the ground for sure but somehow i have made it work, even if i have lost a fair share of things along the way. 

• Like 2

I hear ya. I grow lots of fruit trees here, and people are surprised on what I'm growing. and I do experiment a lot, and have killed a lot of different plants, from ornamental tropical plants to sub tropical fruit trees. All it takes is a good micro climate and shade to get things surviving through the first 2 summers and they're good from there usually. With palms though I'm a bit inexperienced, that's why I come here to ask some long time growers before even trying some more uncommon stuff. 

Right now i'm in the process of getting a couple Beccariophoenix alfredii from someone in Cali. I think these will do well here. 

• Like 3

Chambeyronia will grow here in a protected area.This is a pic of mine taken today planted a few years ago as a 1 gallon sprout.As you can see,it is just starting to push and open a new spear over our winter.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15507676826794229760659176040260.jpg

• Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Everything is planted in the ground...

Palm to the right is Archontophoenix alexandrae.

Kentiopsis o also does well under the same conditions.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15507681678363153422245453787729.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

The Archontophoenix has been planted in that shaded spot for 15 years.It's the only area in my yard where I could grow one.Whenever a frond grows out into full sun though,it gets burned off in June.It's happy days are probably coming to an end as the fronds are getting above roof level and will be receiving more sun than it can handle.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

3 hours ago, raimeiken said:

Right now i'm in the process of getting a couple Beccariophoenix alfredii from someone in Cali. I think these will do well here. 

Great choice for AZ.I have a couple small ones started.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15507799863334541462897146975946.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

A couple other bulletproof species worth considering.

Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano', Arenga engleri, Serenoa repens 'Silver'

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15507801320256071787936891093662.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

29 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Great choice for AZ.I have a couple small ones started.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15507799863334541462897146975946.jpg

How old? And how much sun? 

The last 4 palms mentioned are all on the north side.Very tough palms as they are in the coldest no sun spot over the winter,and in the hottest over the summer with direct sun all day and up to 120F air temps.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

4 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

How old? And how much sun? 

BA and the others have all been planted for 6 years in that northern spot.Everything except BA, I grew from seed myself.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Wow that's awesome. I think we should compile a list of palms that do well here and a list of what needs babying. Would be awesome especially for people new to growing palms here.

I might need to look for an arenga now too.

Just read this thread from the beginning...

Everything that will grow here has pretty much been covered.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

On 2/17/2019 at 3:10 PM, mcrawford said:

George Sparkman in Fallbrook, Ca. has 15 & 25 gal size Adansonias in several species.  Good stuff and great pricing.  His site is: cycads-n-palms.com

I’m planning a visit to him mid March actually.  Jungle Music as well.  

18 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15507801320256071787936891093662.jpg

do you plan on selling any suckers off the arenga? 

I've never thought about it.I have a large E sclavoi with 4 baseball size offsets that I am going to separate this spring, so maybe I will try trimming the Arenga's as well.They have grown faster than anything else in the lineup, and could use some downsizing.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Morning Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had any experience removing Phoenix Dactylifera offshoots?  I've got a couple Dactylifera in the ground going thru a very vigorous vegetative state and was wondering if someone knew of an effective way of cleaning them up, I personally prefer the look of a single palm.  However in the event I do  have a change of heart does anyone know how long should I allow them to grow before separating them? 

Dactylifer_Palm.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Garcia3 said:

Morning Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had any experience removing Phoenix Dactylifera offshoots?  I've got a couple Dactylifera in the ground going thru a very vigorous vegetative state and was wondering if someone knew of an effective way of cleaning them up, I personally prefer the look of a single palm.  However in the event I do  have a change of heart does anyone know how long should I allow them to grow before separating them? 

Dactylifer_Palm.jpg

Sterile exacto knife or box cutter. I’d wait until it’s a little warmer to reduce risk of rot or infection. 

On 2/21/2019 at 6:07 AM, raimeiken said:

I just received my lil flamethrower last weekend.  Came to me from FL.   Box was a week late and pretty beat up.  But, the Palm looks good. I potted it up immediately. And soaked it a couple times.  Have it in the house until this weather clears.  

B1E704B1-7360-4931-995E-BA35A028A1FA.jpeg

BA94BE46-C20F-4384-AB5E-38A7EB3A63CF.jpeg

C86168BE-180C-44FC-BE2C-3D21BCD6E9A0.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

I just received my lil flamethrower last weekend.  Came to me from FL.   Box was a week late and pretty beat up.  But, the Palm looks good. I potted it up immediately. And soaked it a couple times.  Have it in the house until this weather clears.  

B1E704B1-7360-4931-995E-BA35A028A1FA.jpeg

BA94BE46-C20F-4384-AB5E-38A7EB3A63CF.jpeg

C86168BE-180C-44FC-BE2C-3D21BCD6E9A0.jpeg

Nice! Is that a Hookeri? 

3 hours ago, raimeiken said:

how much you got the flamethrower for? looks nice and healthy!

It was like $30 after shipping.  Ebay. Seller:  mr.palms12. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 1:24 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

The Vulcano is definitely on my list.  Any suggestions on sourcing? @aztropic

6 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Nice! Is that a Hookeri? 

I don’t know for sure. It was not sold to me as such.  Looking at the pic, it does kind of look yellow.  That’d be a cool bonus though.  

3 hours ago, GeneAZ said:

I like that pot!  Where did you get it?

Honestly, I don’t know.  I’ve had it seemingly forever.  It’s had several plants in it over the years.  I want to say that we had bought a cactus that was in it at some point.  But not sure. I’ve seen plenty of similar stuff at the depot and the like. 

11 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

I don't know of any vendors.I grew mine from seeds and already sold off the extras that had proven themselves 'Vulcano'. Like Sabal 'Lisa', only a small percentage of the offspring will show the mutation.Besides the overall different look,the petioles have little to no spinage to stab you with.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

23 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

Just checked, and RPS shows they have seeds in stock.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

3 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Just checked, and RPS shows they have seeds in stock.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Funny.  I was just looking. Seems weird that they’re offering seeds if it’s a mutation tho. 

DC65F7E6-195C-4BC2-A17C-7097B124832D.jpeg