IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

I worked hard trying to keep things alive int he dry heat.  I really appreciated the desert adapted palms, these were much less work and looked better 90% of the time.  Clay soil is great I have learned, but that low RH, high heat is most intimidating.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

The first photo is a palm in Paradise Valley Az. You could drive by and see it at 7740 Mockingbird lane I showed the picture to Phil at Jungle Music and he thought it was a coconut queen that photo was taken on July 31. The 3rd photo is my coconut queen. The second photo is my mule in my opinion the coconut queen is a much pretty palm than a mule and takes the heat much better and that location in PV is one of the coldest spots in the valley.

72ABD079-7725-4403-9137-754A0405098F.jpeg

002721C9-B8BB-42DE-A8B2-AE76A94A64FE.jpeg

7F95660F-0295-433B-A980-094D67959E14.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2021 at 11:52 AM, 96720 said:

The first photo is a palm in Paradise Valley Az. You could drive by and see it at 7740 Mockingbird lane I showed the picture to Phil at Jungle Music and he thought it was a coconut queen that photo was taken on July 31. The 3rd photo is my coconut queen. The second photo is my mule in my opinion the coconut queen is a much pretty palm than a mule and takes the heat much better and that location in PV is one of the coldest spots in the valley.

72ABD079-7725-4403-9137-754A0405098F.jpeg

002721C9-B8BB-42DE-A8B2-AE76A94A64FE.jpeg

7F95660F-0295-433B-A980-094D67959E14.jpeg

That first image shows zero effect from the horrible summer last year!  One tough palm there.

• Like 1

Anyone know when the palms start to come out of dormancy? The Arizona heat should bring them out in the next couple weeks right? Also, how long before spring should we start fertilizing?

1 minute ago, xoRudy said:

Anyone know when the palms start to come out of dormancy? The Arizona heat should bring them out in the next couple weeks right? Also, how long before spring should we start fertilizing?

Personally, would wait a couple more weeks. While not likely ftm, could still see a few chilly mornings this month which would help keep soil temps from moving up at a faster pace.. If by the 25th it has been in the 75-80F range most days, and there are no sub 40 mornings forecast thru the rest of the month, won't hurt throwing around something light, and organic..  By roughly 2nd week in March, you should see stuff picking up speed.. Fertilize a bit heavier then.  Is a pattern i have noticed and follow anyway.

Noticed that as warm as it was today, ground is pretty cool, -by desert standards anyway-.  On the other hand, water from the outside tap has been a tad warmer all winter this year.

• Like 1

The last frost or freeze I've experienced in the last 35 years has been around February 14-16.  So that's when I start my container feeding.  Things in the ground I start in March.

• Like 2

@GeneAZ @Silas_Sancona thank you! I’m very excited for this summer. This will be the palms second summer. The first summer they were newly planted and we had a record breaking summer with our temperature.I hoping they’ll all take off this summer

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good morning Arizona,

What palms are coming out of dormancy in your yard? In my yard....

Palms that are slowly coming out of dormancy

- Roystonea Regia

- Washingtonia Filbusta, Filifera 

- Copernicia Alba, Baileyana 

- Bismarckia Nobilis (Green)

- Sabal Uresana

- Brahea SuperSilver

- Thrinax Radiata

- Phoenix Sylvestris, Canariensis

Palms that haven't yet showed signs of coming out

- Phoenix Dactylifera

- Coccothrinax Argentata, Miraguama

- Pseudophoenix Sargentii

- Rhapis Excelsa

- Sabal Palmetto

- Wodyetia Bifurcata

- Dypsis Decaryi, Lutescens

- Coperinica Prunifera

- Brahea Armata, Brandegeei, Clara

- Bismarckia Nobilis (Silver)

- Chamaerops Humilis

- Butia Capitata

- Livistona Chinensis, Australis

- Mule (Butia/Syagrus)

- Beccariophoenix Alfredii

- Thrinax Morrisii

Is your yard similar in species that are out of dormancy or still in it? Whats going on in your yard?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help on diagnosing what is wrong with my Bismarck Palm. Here is just some info on where I live and about the palm. I currently live between Tucson and Phoenix, so temperatures lean more towards warmer than Tucson. Soil is clay type. Plant came in a 25 gallon pot and I was extremely careful when I transplanted it. No root damage at all. Came from a nursery in Phoenix where it was under shade cloth or shade cover. The spears coming out of the palm look good and haven't changed color. I also marked them to make sure i noticed if they were growing (no movement yet). I also monitor the soil with a moisture meter that I have. I just don't know what's wrong with it or is there something I can do to help it. Any feedback would be much appreciated

20210323_121830_HDR~2.jpg

20210215_142326_HDR(1).jpg

20210323_121854(1).jpg

It's no disease.  I think it's just the change from  partial shade to blasting AZ sun.  New growth will tell the tale.

• Like 3

are you feeding it anything at this point?

also, when it gets a little warmer in the next few days, I would start doing  a long, slow soak of 30 minutes or so, at least once a month for a few months, to help the roots find their new way.

I have a newer bizzy, and since planting it in september of 2020, its really taken hold well, and added alot of fronds.

I found that the deep watering, especially when the heat oven gets going in a month or so, seems to get them really perked up.

What exposure is it planted in?  Mine is in the west, so it really gets hot after noon every day, so keep in mind how its oriented.

this photo was taken in October of 2020; its almost a foot taller now, and has at least 6 new fronds since being planted

B5D3D60A-CA58-429C-B056-6385DD6CED1F_1_105_c.jpeg.d9d8d4b72f408d2cff9eebe50b5cf9f2.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wase471111 said:

are you feeding it anything at this point?

also, when it gets a little warmer in the next few days, I would start doing  a long, slow soak of 30 minutes or so, at least once a month for a few months, to help the roots find their new way.

I have a newer bizzy, and since planting it in september of 2020, its really taken hold well, and added alot of fronds.

I found that the deep watering, especially when the heat oven gets going in a month or so, seems to get them really perked up.

What exposure is it planted in?  Mine is in the west, so it really gets hot after noon every day, so keep in mind how its oriented.

this photo was taken in October of 2020; its almost a foot taller now, and has at least 6 new fronds since being planted

B5D3D60A-CA58-429C-B056-6385DD6CED1F_1_105_c.jpeg.d9d8d4b72f408d2cff9eebe50b5cf9f2.jpeg

I am not currently feeding it anything. As soon as I noticed the fronds changing in color I did not want to add anything just in case it made it worse. 

Once you do the deep watering what is the watering schedule you do? I don't want to waterlog my Bismarck just due to the clay soil. 

Mine also is planted with West exposure so hot sun everyday. As I mentioned above all the new spears have not changed color and look really good. 

How long did it take for you to notice your Bismarck taking hold? 

22 minutes ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

I am not currently feeding it anything. As soon as I noticed the fronds changing in color I did not want to add anything just in case it made it worse. 

Once you do the deep watering what is the watering schedule you do? I don't want to waterlog my Bismarck just due to the clay soil. 

Mine also is planted with West exposure so hot sun everyday. As I mentioned above all the new spears have not changed color and look really good. 

How long did it take for you to notice your Bismarck taking hold? 

I would get some sort of palm food down, granular for sure, and do a very light amount for the first time or 2

Until the plant is established, for at least the first 6 months, I would not give it any shallow waterings, instead opting for the slow deep soaks. If we get any actual rain, then its just a bonus. Once it gets superhot, in late may and june, I would be doing the deep soak at least twice a week, for a month or 2, and see how the tree reacts. once it seems like its taking nicely, then 2 or 3 times a week and shorter soaking, say 10-15 minutes will be fine.

I could see that after a month or so, the tree was doing nicely. But mine was planted in the month of September, so I dont know if that made any difference.

I'm still learning about palms!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wase471111 said:

6 months in the ground..

F97C15B4-4710-4CF4-82E4-7684B22F6080_1_105_c.jpeg

87065D82-2D66-476B-8757-CA936F854947_1_105_c.jpeg

Oh yeah your bizzy looks good! I'll take your advice and hopefully with these warmer days ahead mine will become more established and start to turn around.

I also have a sylvester palm and that one is also giving me trouble. I have never had such trouble with palms until my bizzy and sylvester. As you can see below just lost all of its color. I'm thinking its a bit of transplant shock and adjusting to this arizona weather. But I'm not 100% sure..

2021-03-09_13.05.11.jpg

• Like 1

were these planted from a pot then  into the ground, or were they both in the ground, dug out, then planted here in the ground?

5 minutes ago, wase471111 said:

were these planted from a pot then  into the ground, or were they both in the ground, dug out, then planted here in the ground?

Both were planted from a pot. Both came from nurseries. No root damage at all to either. 

• Like 1

thats encouraging, since digging out of palm from the ground, and then planting it elsewhere in the ground can be very problematic..

When you planted them from the pot, did you plant as much "pot dirt" as possible along with the transplanted tree?

good luck!

2 hours ago, wase471111 said:

thats encouraging, since digging out of palm from the ground, and then planting it elsewhere in the ground can be very problematic..

When you planted them from the pot, did you plant as much "pot dirt" as possible along with the transplanted tree?

good luck!

Yes thankfully both were in pots. 

Yes I did, the root ball on both palm trees stayed in tact and I made sure to compact them as best as I could. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a lot of money and want to try a large coconut I was at Shamus O’Leary’s place today and he brought in a lot of huge coconut palms

17 hours ago, 96720 said:

If you have a lot of money and want to try a large coconut I was at Shamus O’Leary’s place today and he brought in a lot of huge coconut palms

5B1DD068-7978-4483-98AA-DC9DE53C0329.jpeg

• Like 2

My Bismarckia Nobilis has suffered a wind blow over while in pot and retard its growth for a few months. Old frond died off. As long as new growth established and most likely is fine. Attached is my palm history

US Southwest Zone 10A

My queen palms look terrible (and I am not a palm expert like many of you).  Is there anyone who can come to my house (Scottsdale) to assess my palms and tell me what to do with them?  

1 hour ago, 2AZWildcats said:

My queen palms look terrible (and I am not a palm expert like many of you).  Is there anyone who can come to my house (Scottsdale) to assess my palms and tell me what to do with them?  

Queen palm doesn't do too well in AZ. There is quite a few experts in your area. 

Edited by Padraic

US Southwest Zone 10A

This is a royal in Phoenix I don’t think you will find a queen that looks that good, besides you don’t have to trim them 

FA2C1817-4C0A-4489-B30F-9DDC03C864EF.jpeg

• Like 1

beautiful royal!

been trying to find one in the phoenix area lately; that  has been very difficult..

They love sun I use them to make shade that picture was taken on August 20 of the hottest summer we have had you can see it is making shade. Shamus O’Leary has them for sale in Phoenix.

B70B5E69-DB60-46D9-9C6B-56804DC47B5D.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm looking to plant something fast growing that gets tall to make a statement in my yard. In going to nurseries and hardware stores I've been looking at getting 3 mexican fan palms. I'm wondering if you guys had any suggestions for something more eye catching, and where to buy it. It gets morning shade and mid day sun, and has plenty of room around it so it can be or grow to be huge. There are walls on the north and west sides that could give it some protection if needed. There's so many pictures in this thread of giants that look incredible. Any help or suggestions is very much appreciated!

whats your budget and experience level?

obviously, prices can range from  30 dollars to several thousand dollars and up, so thats important to figure out first

there are several places in the area to see and purchase palms..

Edited by wase471111
  • Like 1

Experience minimal. It'll have a drip irrigation system for consistent watering. I'd like to keep the budget cheap and buy something (or multiple plants) small but grows relatively quickly as I plan to be here a long time. I think if it grows like 2'/year or maybe more it'll start to be pretty impressive in just a few years. If it's a size that I can plant it with just a shovel that's a huge plus for me. I'd be content with even a 1 gallon just to get it in the ground so it can start making roots.

Moon Valley tried to recommend queen palms, but I feel like every one of those I see dies before it gets big. And Moon Valley prices are nuts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff P said:

Experience minimal. It'll have a drip irrigation system for consistent watering. I'd like to keep the budget cheap and buy something (or multiple plants) small but grows relatively quickly as I plan to be here a long time. I think if it grows like 2'/year or maybe more it'll start to be pretty impressive in just a few years. If it's a size that I can plant it with just a shovel that's a huge plus for me. I'd be content with even a 1 gallon just to get it in the ground so it can start making roots.

Moon Valley tried to recommend queen palms, but I feel like every one of those I see dies before it gets big. And Moon Valley prices are nuts.

Jeff P,

Welcome to the forum,.. You're in good company here in Phoenix.. Curious what part of town you're in.

Definitely scratch Queens off your list, ..And anything Moon Valley too lol..  As others here mentioned, Mules, a Cross called a Coconut Queen ( Queen Palm crossed with another Syagrus species ) and Royals ( Roystonea ) will do better, though Royals do need a good amount of water to handle the heat here..  You could also try Majestys but those definitely need lots of water/ fertilizer ( and  would likely do best if started off in some shade )

If you have space for something that will take a little longer to gain size, Pseudophoenix sargentii is a stunner here.. Look through various threads to see examples grown by  @aztropic Not easy to find out here at any size, but worth tracking down.

For fan -type things, would consider Washingtonia filifera over Mex Fans.. Much better looking and almost as fast.  Bismarckia, numerous Brahea, and Sabal sp. ( incl.  Nearly - native to the state S. uresana. Other sp. worth researching as well, some get HUGE )

• Upvote 1

Silas, 

I'm out in Surprise. Got a new build house and am working on getting the yard set up.

I'd rather not go with mex fans, but I was leaning that direction initially because they seem cheap, very hardy, and grow quickly to crazy heights. Thanks for all the ideas.

Bismarkia and Roystonea Regia are seeming to check all the boxes for me for look, height, growth rate, and hardiness. Thanks so much for all the input! Now the hunt to find them on a budget begins.

• Like 2

decent size Bismarkia at home depot is around 400 dollars, and, finding a decent size Royal will be more than that, if you can find one

add in the price of delivery/install, nutrients, etc, and it can add up quickly...

Definitely not rip off Moon Valley!!! As I mentioned earlier Shamus O’Leary has royals I believe also Bismarckia but the best deal for them would be a big box store.

• Like 1

is there a secret to get Shamus to respond to emails/texts or phone calls?  I dont live close to his place, and just want to confirm whats available there, but there is never a response back

thanks