IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

16 minutes ago, aztropic said:

I probably over water for the most part... Just something I like to do. Like walking the dog.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I hear ya.  I enjoy it as well. 

• Like 1

I’ve got the drip set for 60 min every other day when it gets hot. Today definitely qualifies as hot.

• Like 3

If your plants look good at once a week you are fine my soil if you want to call it that is more rock than dirt I water every other day and some palms like Chambeyronia gets lots of water 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

new to the forum, and sort of new to the world of palms, but have been growing cacti and other stuff for decades, in Chicago and now in the nw tip of phoenix; 2 new palms this week, a "Bizzie" in the front yard, and a "pineapple" in the back!

great forum, great photos, nice to be here!

IMG_0876.jpg

pineapple 2020.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 96720 said:

Is anyone growing Ravenea xerophila and if you are how much sun will they take.

Mine is exposed to approximately 80% sun. It's a small seedling around 8 years old.

Hi 99˚, Lo 65˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 3

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

57 minutes ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Mine is exposed to approximately 80% sun. It's a small seedling around 8 years old.

Hi 99˚, Lo 65˚

Nice

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

22 hours ago, 96720 said:

Is anyone growing Ravenea xerophila and if you are how much sun will they take.

I'm growing a few in different exposures.I think this is a full sun palm here without any worries.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200928_170334496.jpg

IMG_20200928_170420568.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Fantastic species choice for the desert! It will amaze you with its speed of growth,once established. Probably will end up being your most trouble free palm.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

thanks, I hope you are correct..
Between the Canary Island Pineapple Date Palm,  and this one, both planted a week apart, I am hoping they were good choices for this heat machine called Phoenix!

is there a "rough" time line on how long those both take to be "established"?  I tried to time it, so that they could be planted once the heat "death grip" was over, which I think it is now,  and then, to have at least 6 months to become "established"..since they were both planted in September, I assume by next February, 6 months later, they should be well established?

thanks for your advice!:greenthumb:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good now but that is the one you will probably be wondering why you planted it. Mexican fans are fast growers,and before you know it,all you have is a telephone pole in the backyard that you can't reach the fronds to trim. Queens are a bad choice too as they do poorly under our desert conditions.Better choice would probably have been a mule palm as they are commonly available locally up to 48" box size. Butia would be another good local choice for the long haul... Speaking from experience.:lol:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

The trunk on this guy is really nice;)

Yes, I thought about how big this might get in the long run, but, its a hybrid version, supposedly only growing a fraction of the size of a true washingtonia..

Time will tell; I'm not getting any younger, and want to enjoy certain things as much as I can, while I am still healthy enough to enjoy them!

One of my neighbors has 2 in their yard, probably 25 feet tall, and I think it looks kinda cool seeing them in the open desert.

We back up to an open wash, and we're pretty much in a mountain valley area, so its really nice to see as many palms as possible out here!

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

• Like 3

@wase471111 i could tell because I always go to moon valley and am always impressed at how long the fronds are on there canary islands. I have one planted that I purchased at a different nursery and it has shorter fronds. From what I understand, this has to do with moon valley growing those in some shade so the fronds stretch out,, but only time will tell. Below is mine. I have recently learned as well that canary islands hybridized easily. There is also the difference as yours are more upright. Mine have some curvature. Hopefully my canary island fronds do get longer as others here have suggested. :). 20200827_164242.thumb.jpg.39cec33e5bc3e60ab8928461dcf2e6ce.jpg

• Like 2

Also that washingtonia that is said to be a hybrid. I notice that sign at moon valley as well. I will have to post a separate topic on it, as the sign moon valley has says it doesn't get tall. You have a really nice one!

• Like 1

I've had ravenea xerophylla growing in full sun for 15 years!  Right next to the street facing west - couldn't get any hotter with sun exposure than that!  Full, Full sun!  Very slow grower!

rod

north phoenix

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I grow both in Arizona and would consider them both full sun palms,even in our area.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

speaking of growing in Arizona, I was just at Fry's and they had several nice, large "majesty" palms, for 12 bucks, in 2 gallon pots; can these be grown outside here, or are they strickly an indoor plant?

thanks

2 hours ago, wase471111 said:

speaking of growing in Arizona, I was just at Fry's and they had several nice, large "majesty" palms, for 12 bucks, in 2 gallon pots; can these be grown outside here, or are they strickly an indoor plant?

thanks

I think you can grow them there. Just grow them under shade for the first couple of years. They do require a lot of water. They are water hogs.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Tough grow but can be done with lots of protection. Our winter cold doesn't seem to bother them but their thin leaflets do fry easily with too much sun exposure. I have one growing between 2 houses started from a 2 gallon bucket that has survived for several years. Only problem is the taller it gets,the more it burns each summer.:( Looks like it will never 'adapt' to full Arizona sun, but I do enjoy it as it looks lush and tropical in this spot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200520_145710437_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Mesa, Arizona

On 10/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, wase471111 said:

thanks; water hogs and Arizona desert arent a very desirable combination!

ammend with clay? I have mine planted in a Clay spot and it is growing fine and it only needs water once a month or so to saturate the soil. 

On 10/13/2020 at 11:21 AM, Rod said:

I've had ravenea xerophylla growing in full sun for 15 years!  Right next to the street facing west - couldn't get any hotter with sun exposure than that!  Full, Full sun!  Very slow grower!

rod

north phoenix

Hey this is Daniel. Post up pictures, I’d love to see it. I think your yard has every one of my dream palms/cycads. I have a Xerophila in a container.248085DE-C843-44FA-9F72-80416304A0C1.thumb.jpeg.426a04e088588a390b119afa086845fb.jpeg

• Like 3

as cold as it was here this am, it still looks warm from this view!

palm row.jpg

Edited by wase471111
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, 96720 said:

Is anyone growing Dypsis other than decari 

I have a Pembana growing outdoors, decaryi, lutescens. 

The Pembana will face its first winter this year but has grown quickly with the heat this summer. The Lutescens will take a beating most winters and look poor by spring but it is tough once adapted, slow growers. The decaryi has no issues with heat or cold in the east/southern exposure. Slow grower as well but the most trouble free.  

• Like 2

Here' my Copernicia alba that I'm presently trimming (2nd foto)!  Also, lower left is my Copernicia prunifera!

I've included a foto of my Ravenea xeryphylla.

rod

phoenix, az

vblob.thumb.png.6db59f94185ff061e15002871aacdbb5.png

blob.thumb.png.f86cd4957b1505c691c26de1c6efc7af.png

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, 96720 said:

Is anyone growing Dypsis other than decari 

I have a few teddy bears and lots of pembana sprouts.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

16040848138914750051740428205364.jpg

16040848881719037285378363975346.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Hi folks;

Since I am new to the world of palms, and, having only been in Arizona for 3 years, I have a quick question about feeding/fertilizing for the "so called winter" out. here.

I've planted 5 new palms in Sept/early October, and gave them a light feeding and fertilizing when I planted them.

They are all doing great; I am just curious as to whether or not to give them any more feedings/fertilizations before next Spring(February)

I'm very well versed on Cacti/Succulents etc, and how to take care of them moving into the winter, but I am not sure about what to do for the Palms..

I know its been in the 90's for most of October, and into early november, but its supposed to drop into the 60's/40's this weekend and stay there for awhile, so I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I'm continuing to water them on a regular basis, as I know I should for all new palm trees until well established, I'm just not sure about the feeding part.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you

No feeding till March... Palms will stop growing here shortly if they haven't already. Also,you don't want to encourage new growth for possible freezing temperatures over the next 4 months.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

48 minutes ago, aztropic said:

No feeding till March... Palms will stop growing here shortly if they haven't already. Also,you don't want to encourage new growth for possible freezing temperatures over the next 4 months.

thank you so much; thats what I thought, I just wanted to confirm..

one quick thing; I should continue to water them as I would normally do for any new palm being planted, correct?

thanks again!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Edited by wase471111