IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

Maybe mutation is not the right word.Perhaps 'trait' would have been more accurate.Out of 11 seeds,I ended up with 3 plants that were the real thing.Unfortunately,this all takes alot of time,(like 3 or 4 years here) to be sure of whats what.

Somebody has to take time to grow out the seeds and hopefully be rewarded for the effort.Theoreticly,you could spend all that time growing them out and not get ANY with the trait... I just got lucky!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

How’s everyone’s garden looking? This morning looked rough out here from the freezing temps and rain. I’ll head out and check things in a couple of hours. Looking out the window does not make me confident lol

Everything fully exposed out in the yard / semi-exposed ( not directly under the Patio) in my shade Alley looks fine. Not seeing any discolored foliage on stuff.. Just cold, wet and dew-y. Underside of the Patio roof itself had lots of condensation on it also.  Somewhat sensitive stuff out front also looks fine. Fully exposed to the sky as well.

From the looks of it, closest Wx station bottomed out at 30.8F between 4:30 am and 5 am, or below 33F from 2:30 am to 7:35 am. Currently a degree warmer ( this and a couple other stations nearby ) than yesterday's high ( 47.2F) and climbing.. Dew points at all the stations i looked at seemed to stay within a degree of the air temp overnight, except in a couple cases where both came within 1/2 of a degree of each other right at sunrise..

Not seeing any remaining frost in the normally cold / shady spots in the yard, or on shaded areas of neighboring rooftops. Last time we'd had frost, it stuck around until after 10 am in those same spots.   As cold as it was yesterday, especially after it cleared out after sunset,  part of me had a nagging suspicion last nights' forecast would get trashed, ie: Lows falling into the mid /upper 20s, instead of where everyone thought they would ( right around 30-32F here ) Glad there were no surprises.. Maybe back down to 33-35F, tonight, then it's over.. Hopefully for this winter.

• Like 1

Low of 37F here in Mesa,Arizona; no further freezing.I rarely protect anything anymore.1 night of 28F in early January did the damage for the year with 25 to 50% burn on the tender material. Everything planted in ground will survive. Same tender species in pots have 75 % survival so far...

Next week will warm up to the mid 70's highs and our growing season will officially begin.Winter is finally behind us!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15509415996243006311634337600249.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Scott, your Royals look a heck of a lot better than mine! I’m thinking because it’s only the first and second year in the ground for them. Larger one has about 75% burn and the smaller about 50%. I’m sure it will get a bit worse. They need to gain some size I believe. Spears on each have both grown more than an inch since the beginning of the year. Fingers crossed. 

DD65E579-1963-4824-868A-C85EDE26E7A1.jpeg

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 1

Don't worry,they will come back.Mine have seen ultimate lows of 22F and still returned.I see total defoliation on mine at 26F. 25/50% at 28F. No damage at 30F.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Coldest spot in my yard shows damage similar to yours... They always come back to try again!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15509452683362250578084368717674.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

I am impressed with their will to live! They continue to push their spear even with this terrible winter. Everything else is at a virtual standstill but the royals have moved about an inch in the last month. They’re my favorite palm. Even my wife likes them and that’s saying something!

Ice cream bean tree even had some damage from 28F.Minor damage.Anything that has been planted a few years usually survives.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15509457416334057321651413306482.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

5 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Ice cream bean tree even had some damage from 28F.Minor damage.Anything that has been planted a few years usually survives.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15509457416334057321651413306482.jpg

You getting any fruit off your tree yet? 

Nope.Even had 2 trees flowering until one froze and died several years ago,(both totally defoliated) but never a single fruit.Thousands of flowers but they open when it's over 100F and the pollen is ineffective.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

3 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Nope.Even had 2 trees flowering until one froze and died several years ago,(both totally defoliated) but never a single fruit.Thousands of flowers but they open when it's over 100F and the pollen is ineffective.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Ah, i see.. interesting. Was curious how 100+F heat might effect pollen / fruit production here. This might help explain the lack of Fruit on a neighbor's 15+yo Tamarind as well. Tree looks great though.

For a lot of species,95F-100F is the killing temp for pollen. Our extremely low humidity doesn't help either...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

I will be giving these royals a hurricane cut today to clean them up for the warm days ahead.No more frost this year...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

3 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

aww man that's not good. I have one maturing too, and just started flowering last year. No fruit :( 

I've actually been thinking about taking it out to make room for a Copernicia faellensis I've been growing in a pot. I'm out of planting space in the yard so anytime I want to try something new,something old has to go...

Last fall,I removed a mature,fruiting,white sapote because it was giving me TOO MUCH shade! Yep,even in the desert,sun is an important commodity when you're trying to grow up seedlings!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Not quite as bad as I thought. Still,A LOT of material hit the can making way for some new growth.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15509683290977438915810980527096.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

3 hours ago, aztropic said:

I've actually been thinking about taking it out to make room for a Copernicia faellensis I've been growing in a pot. I'm out of planting space in the yard so anytime I want to try something new,something old has to go...

Last fall,I removed a mature,fruiting,white sapote because it was giving me TOO MUCH shade! Yep,even in the desert,sun is an important commodity when you're trying to grow up seedlings!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

aw man a fruiting white sapote?! Mine is almost there. I can't wait for it to fruit. Were the fruit on yours any good? what variety?

Sue belle.Produced tons of fruit that tasted like pumpkin/banana.Got too big and gave me too much shade to grow palm seedlings so it finally had to go.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

10 hours ago, aztropic said:

Low of 37F here in Mesa,Arizona; no further freezing.I rarely protect anything anymore.1 night of 28F in early January did the damage for the year with 25 to 50% burn on the tender material. Everything planted in ground will survive. Same tender species in pots have 75 % survival so far...

Next week will warm up to the mid 70's highs and our growing season will officially begin.Winter is finally behind us!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15509415996243006311634337600249.jpg

Wow Scott. Just wow.  

10 hours ago, aztropic said:

I will be giving these royals a hurricane cut today to clean them up for the warm days ahead.No more frost this year...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I always wondered if it is ok to hurricane cut palms after a freeze or if they could use (or need) those stored nutrients in burnt fronds.

Edited by enigma99

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years,I've had great luck growing the species Coccothrinax in Arizona. Just got some new Coccothrinax seedlings to trial for Arizona. Purchased as 2 inch rosepots from habitat collected seed;I repotted to 1 gallons.Lets see how they do!

Coccothrinax:

acuminata,clarensis,fagildei,garciana,gundlachii,orientalis,and torrida.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15525831061406235153860783875088.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Also got a couple Hemithrinax as these have proven themselves to be bullit proof under our conditions here in Arizona.I highly recommend adding these to a desert garden!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15525836975777396843978894236414.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Here's a Hemi I've had planted in the ground for several years.They survived a low of 28 F this past winter,unprotected,without a scratch!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15525841969827610977357754938849.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

I have a Latania lontaroides growing in a pot.Just noticed the petioles almost look neon red when in the sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15526035450713589436080538935803.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Also love how each frond segment is outlined in red.It's a very showy palm in its younger years for sure.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15526041985978262401672905166425.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Pseudophoenix species have always been one of my favorites as they look unusual and grow great under our desert conditions.Planted 10 years ago,Pseudophoenix vinifera (front) has a 12 inch wide trunk now by 16 inches to the top ring.Pseudophoenix sargentii (rear) grows faster once they have developed a trunk.I have a dozen of those spread around the yard due to their exceptional performance.Highly recommend desert dwellers give 'em a try!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15526096118148787620743017401241.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

On 2/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, aztropic said:

I don't know of any vendors.I grew mine from seeds and already sold off the extras that had proven themselves 'Vulcano'. Like Sabal 'Lisa', only a small percentage of the offspring will show the mutation.Besides the overall different look,the petioles have little to no spinage to stab you with.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

On 2/22/2019 at 7:49 PM, BillDaCat8 said:

The Vulcano is definitely on my list.  Any suggestions on sourcing? @aztropic

Found one! Just a lil guy. But, I’ll enjoy watching it grow. 

My trip to Cali was fruitful.  

F1BA258D-0FEA-4A2B-B538-7C13104F6A18.jpeg

On 2/22/2019 at 1:20 PM, AZPalms said:

Nice! Is that a Hookeri? 

On 2/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, BillDaCat8 said:

I don’t know for sure. It was not sold to me as such.  Looking at the pic, it does kind of look yellow.  That’d be a cool bonus though.  

Here’s that regular c.macro next to a Hookeri.  Like I said; my trip was fruitful. :D

I don’t have a great spot in the yard for these two. I may just keep them potted until they get bigger.  That way I can move them around depending on the season.  

3EAF4A2D-A1D6-4A8A-8A3B-91B8C5FA3753.jpeg

9AF5DC80-2668-4303-8A3B-167CDE401A77.jpeg

The loot from this trip.  Minus a sargentii that I had moved to another part of the patio.  

Somebody tell me I’m not crazy.  

C39F5356-A175-474D-BBD4-647A17105B0F.jpeg

• Like 3

That's how it all starts! Before you know it,you'll have run out of space and the backyard will have turned into a jungle in the middle of the desert.

Great score on the "vulcano" looks like the real deal so far.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Just now, BillDaCat8 said:

The loot from this trip.  Minus a sargentii that I had moved to another part of the patio.  

Oh. Also missing from this pic is a neat cycad.  Dioon edule “queretaro”

Here it is next to my sago/revoluta trying to show color differences.  

068FCBC7-14A5-45A9-8244-C2CFC7135CBE.jpeg

6EE54F1E-B342-40AF-B9AC-C56ED6BF79E7.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that a Jubaea in the 15 gallon pot? I've killed 3 that size here I brought back from CA over the years and have only had some success with ones I've grown from seed. They always seem to go downhill and the spear rots and pulls in August after the monsoons crank up the moisture combined with 90F overnight temps.It seems to be just a little too hot for them in the valley although Tucson has had some luck being a few degrees cooler overall.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

20 minutes ago, BillDaCat8 said:

C39F5356-A175-474D-BBD4-647A17105B0F.jpeg

This is how it all starts... started with me just buying a few palms for the pool area. Next thing I know it’s bringing palms on planes from trips, joining Palmtalk, buying more palms for different sun exposure areas of the yard, then it’s pushing zones with tropicals, then it’s tropical plants to compliment palms, then it’s getting a divorce over palm addiction lol! Just kidding! 

On this recent trip to a couple of local Florida nurseries, even my wife knew the Latin name and genus of a couple palms. Proud husband.

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sabal Mexicana.  A really nice sized tree that I had on my list. Couldn’t resist for $25   

2E26FE06-E2DB-4211-B3E1-0CFEB9138E13.thumb.jpeg.2cb9aee128d6ac979b0da8d284f58978.jpeg

Depending on the sun exposure of your patio area, I’d wrap that area with palms and tropical plants. Make a nice shade and privacy barrier. Maybe a couple of banana, some Ti... can I come over and plant haha! 

4 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Is that a Jubaea in the 15 gallon pot? I've killed 3 that size here I brought back from CA over the years and have only had some success with ones I've grown from seed. They always seem to go downhill and the spear rots and pulls in August after the monsoons crank up the moisture combined with 90F overnight temps.It seems to be just a little too hot for them in the valley although Tucson has had some luck being a few degrees cooler overall.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Yes, and no.

Lol.  You’re getting ahead of me.  

That guy is a hybrid.  Jubeaea x Butia.  I am hoping the Butia part of it helps it thrive here.  

The pic sucks.  I was running out of light tonight.  

59B0C8D1-CDE8-470B-B93A-EF2D9190A88A.jpeg

Great to see how Arizona is pushing the envelope! Royals, Sapote,Tamarind Hemithrinax, Copernicia f. but my personal favorite are the Pseudophoenix varieties that look so good out west!

What you look for is what is looking

Trachycarpus Wagnerianus. Super nice looking. This guy will be near the pool. 

D4238680-0248-4478-87E2-553EA018F2B6.jpeg

13 minutes ago, bubba said:

Great to see how Arizona is pushing the envelope! Royals, Sapote,Tamarind Hemithrinax, Copernicia f. but my personal favorite are the Pseudophoenix varieties that look so good out west!

Got a decent sargentii too. And a few babies I did from seed. 

0B0DC0AA-6318-4FA5-8CCB-28E8D8A172C3.jpeg

1DBDD875-4088-4C69-9D3D-95705D835800.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Like 1