IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

On 4/7/2016, 10:50:54, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree with Scott, these have turned out to be a lot hardier than many believed. I was always told " will drop all foliage below 30F" many times when id ask so called experts about cold hardiness before seeing a nice sized specimen growing at a nursery in Vista... While Vista is obviously a bit warmer, overall, than my backyard back in San Jose, something told me to pick up a couple anyway. No issues over the winters they spent there. Good to know however that surviving 22F is possible.. just in case.:greenthumb:

Ben, i'm sure if you did a search on local nurseries  that sell tropical fruit ( here in Phoenix) you'd be just as surprised as i was the first time i took notes on the range of exotic stuff that is being tried.. or is doing well here in the valley. Quite an impressive list for growing in a "desert" vs. Florida.

Ice cream bean on the way from Phil at Jungle Music!  They had some nice 5g plants on the blog...convenient!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Arizona Palm & Cycad Society

Open garden, potluck and "swap meet" is firmly set now for

May 21st noon until sunset and the home and garden of long

time member OB Kingsby at 1901 E. Alta Vista Phoenix, 85042

OB has one of the most complete palm collections in town and

last hosted an open house 10 yrs ago.  I visited him last fall and

has it ever grown!  Since we no longer collect dues, we ask everyone

to bring food or drink to contribute to the festivities.  Also bring any

seed, seedlings or potted plants to sell or swap.  We hope to have

Bob Clasigan and his get Phoenix hybrids there as well.  Please pass

this invite to any non Palmtalk folks who might be interested.  See you there.

OB 3D.JPG

OB.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I believe Scott has.  I have one in the greenhouse.  The weather extremes here are just too stressful.

4 hours ago, mcrawford said:

I believe Scott has.  I have one in the greenhouse.  The weather extremes here are just too stressful.

I assume full shade would be a must for any hope. 

They can be grown here,but I wouldn't recommend them... Here's my alexandrae.It's been growing in this very protected spot for over 10 years.Anytime a frond dares to grow out of the shade zone,it quickly gets burned off.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

2016-06-30 15.35.19.jpg

2016-06-30 15.36.24.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

They can be grown here,but I wouldn't recommend them... Here's my alexandrae.It's been growing in this very protected spot for over 10 years.Anytime a frond dares to grow out of the shade zone,it quickly gets burned off.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

2016-06-30 15.35.19.jpg

2016-06-30 15.36.24.jpg

That's too bad.  I was hoping that established palms might make it gradually growing into the sun.  Doesn't look like that is possible. 

I have some A. tuckeri seedlings.   I was thinking of giving a few to my brother to try.  Sounds like they may be annuals there is the Valley of the Sun.

• 1 year later...

Hello. 

So, is there another thread that all the AZ people are hanging out? Forgive me for reviving this old thread btw. 

Oh. Cool! Someone is still hanging out.  

I suppose since this is pretty much my first “real” post to this forum that I should introduce myself...

I’m Jake.  Live here in PHX/Glendale. 35th ave & Bell area. Been here 14 years now. Originally from San Diego. Cars and bikes have been my thing for a long time. I also enjoy working on the house and such. As I’ve gotten more into making my place nice, I’ve started paying more attention to trees, landscaping, etc. which has led me here.   

Currently for palms I’ve got your standard Pygmy and a nice Pindo along my back fence.  Got a decent foxtail going in what I hope to be a perfect spot out by my pool. And finally there’s a small Bismarck going out in the front yard. I haven’t tried attaching pics to any posts yet; But, I guess now is as good of a time as any.   

I’m interested an a few of the palms suggested earlier in this thread.  Got a few spots out back that I believe will be pretty good.  I also love seeing the trees others have had success with here in this climate.  

Here’s the Bismarck a couple months ago as it had a new frawn opening.  

699DD6F1-B885-4FBB-9AEB-25065F2CA803.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
Better pic
  • Upvote 3

Pindo that just went into the ground two weeks ago.  Pretty extreme spot op against a south facing block fence.  I’m hoping it’ll be able to handle it.  My first foxtail was planted in the same spot.  It got torched by the sun last summer.  5DCB675E-A3B8-4B19-ABE7-2ADE87A7E901.thu

7BE0D7C3-0AAB-48FA-9EB3-A5129D4D9334.jpeg

Edited by BillDaCat8
  • Upvote 3

Here’s the foxtail that went into the ground last weekend.  He kind of blends in with the neighbors citrus trees behind making it a little difficult to see in the picture. But, those trees are going to protect it from the afternoon summer sun.  Sadly, that house next door basically burned down this week. So it’ll be vacant for a while. I’m assuming that I’ll be throwing the hose over the fence to water those trees until they rebuild.  

344A7296-1C30-42F1-8712-BE2166909877.jpeg

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, BillDaCat8 said:

Pindo that just went into the ground two weeks ago.  Pretty extreme spot op against a south facing block fence.  I’m hoping it’ll be able to handle it.  My first foxtail was planted in the same spot.  It got torched by the sun last summer.  5DCB675E-A3B8-4B19-ABE7-2ADE87A7E901.thu

It is extreme. I suggest you water them every other evening.  I have several B.Alfrediis in pots against a southern facing wall. Last autumn and winter, they did just spledid. These past couple of weeks we have had a scorching sun, they yellowed on me. Sure enough the sunlight evaporated the water in the pots. So I'm double timing it water-wise. I'm in Socal. I can only fathom  the heat from the AZ sun...

Good luck

If you can acquire one of the IR gun thermometers and get the Temps during daytime of that wall... you'll see what I mean.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 4/28/2018, 10:44:56, BillDaCat8 said:

That Cycas revoluta will begin to sun scorch in June unless you get it under a canopy or morning-only exposure.

6 hours ago, GeneAZ said:

That Cycas revoluta will begin to sun scorch in June unless you get it under a canopy or morning-only exposure.

Hi Gene.

I planned for that actually.  One of the reasons it’s in a pot instead of the ground.  There’s a pretty good sized Tipu tree just 10 feet or so to the west of it.  So, it should get afternoon shade. If it does start to scorch then I’ll just move it down to a safer spot for the summer.  

Pics is dark, I know. But, you get the idea...

1FB79FC0-40CB-4DEE-83DA-97FDFFAE356A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2018, 7:05:22, GottmitAlex said:

It is extreme. I suggest you water them every other evening.  I have several B.Alfrediis in pots against a southern facing wall. Last autumn and winter, they did just spledid. These past couple of weeks we have had a scorching sun, they yellowed on me. Sure enough the sunlight evaporated the water in the pots. So I'm double timing it water-wise. I'm in Socal. I can only fathom  the heat from the AZ sun...

Good luck

If you can acquire one of the IR gun thermometers and get the Temps during daytime of that wall... you'll see what I mean.

Hi Alex. 

My soil here is really very clay-y. I’m afraid every other night for watering might be a bit much.  I’ve got a keen eye on it tho.  It’s plugged into the Matrix now (my term for the Racio controlled drip system) So, it should do pretty well. Other plants on the same circuit are flourishing.  Fingers crossed.  

• Upvote 1

Went down to visit Scott @aztropic today. What an amazing collection he’s got down there. Super friendly and knowledgeable.  Had my wife frantically taking notes the whole time.  You guys have gotta see his Bismarck’s and Cuban royals. And the rest of them.  Really gorgeous.  I was so in awe of them, I just realized that I forgot to snap pics of them.  Hopefully he’ll chime in and post some pics.  I’m really in love with his many pseudophoenix sargentii.  So, I’m on the lookout for a couple of those now.  I didn’t come home empty handed either.  I decided to give a shot to this Cuban royal and also picked up a little California fan palm. 

003E075F-047C-4868-8E83-77264513933B.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Re-potted the new Royal last night.  It’s going to be here on the patio until next spring when it’s time to plant. So, I figured it should have some breathing room.  Went from a 7gal to a 15gal.  Relocated the bbq to make space for it. I’m sure that’s not the last concession I’ll end up making in the name of palms.  

698DC1B7-59BC-487B-9AEF-16EADE20CC02.jpeg

9477932F-ABB4-41C9-B915-126F5E30D8BD.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Looks great!   I have a couple of Royals on the east side of my house here in Gilbert that were planted as 1 gals 2 years ago.   They didn't do much the first year but they're moving quickly now.  Love those green trunks.    

Jake - Here's a pic of the bismarckia planted as a 1 gallon strap leaf back in 2000.They definitely have to be considered a fast grower!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1525530443438.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Pseudophoenix sargentii has also been proven a winner in the desert.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1525530604298.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Mesa, Arizona

On 4/29/2018, 8:07:49, BillDaCat8 said:

Went down to visit Scott @aztropic today. What an amazing collection he’s got down there. Super friendly and knowledgeable.  Had my wife frantically taking notes the whole time.  You guys have gotta see his Bismarck’s and Cuban royals. And the rest of them.  Really gorgeous.  I was so in awe of them, I just realized that I forgot to snap pics of them.  Hopefully he’ll chime in and post some pics.  I’m really in love with his many pseudophoenix sargentii.  So, I’m on the lookout for a couple of those now.  I didn’t come home empty handed either.  I decided to give a shot to this Cuban royal and also picked up a little California fan palm. 

003E075F-047C-4868-8E83-77264513933B.jpeg

aztropic's collection is amazing and always worth a visit.  I think we're overdue.  :)   I still owe him pics of the Pseudophoenix Sargentii we bought from him 5-ish years ago...

If anyone is interested, a few of us started a Facebook group for Arizona Palm Tree Lovers.  More members would help us be more active!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604130456493541/

• Upvote 4

Cuban royals are the easiest crownshafted palm to grow in the hot inland desert.If you need a palm with a crownshaft,this is the first one you should try.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1525537618841.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Mesa, Arizona

Another nice Pseudophoenix!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1525626377857.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Mesa, Arizona

• 3 weeks later...

One Mule into the ground today.  Went deep to allow for future coverage of new roots per @MattyB ‘s suggestion. 

Now I need to come up with a clever way to surround it with some sort of landscape edging to keep the gravel out of the hole.  I’m thinking it’ll be something custom considering the weird slope there.  

C34CE7F8-3895-4CE9-93DD-EB6A2CCF8166.jpeg

FF43B302-5872-43AC-A5D7-E2B46AFA5AD7.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 5/5/2018, 7:32:23, SueH_AZ said:

aztropic's collection is amazing and always worth a visit.  I think we're overdue.  :)   I still owe him pics of the Pseudophoenix Sargentii we bought from him 5-ish years ago...

Ooh. I’d love to find a sargentii or two! If anyone has any leads, please let me know.  I’ve tried ordering seeds. No luck thus far actually receiving any.  

For you desert-dwellers, how fast-growing is Pseudophoenix Sargentii?  The first photo above (Phoenix area?) looks to be a decent size, but when was it planted?  

By the way, you can buy Pseudophoenix Sargentii in Miami, but I don't know how hard it is to ship plants from Florida to Arizona in terms of agricultural regulations.  

Nice Mules BillDaCat! Where'd you find them?  I usually only see them at Treeland Nursery, they have a beautiful older specimen close to a stunning Cuban Royal.  

7 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

For you desert-dwellers, how fast-growing is Pseudophoenix Sargentii?  The first photo above (Phoenix area?) looks to be a decent size, but when was it planted?  

By the way, you can buy Pseudophoenix Sargentii in Miami, but I don't know how hard it is to ship plants from Florida to Arizona in terms of agricultural regulations.  

First pic Pseudophoenix sargentii was planted around 2002.In the desert,they grow 1 new frond per year until several inches of trunk is established.After that,you are looking at 2 new fronds per year,tops.Slow to be sure but Pseudophoenix eckmanii,in the same family,only gives me 1 new frond every 2 years! Talk about slow...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Pseudophoenix eckmanii 18 years from seed,grown in Arizona conditions.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1526991444678.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Interesting comparison with my avatar - 2 1/2 new fronds on the eckmanii = 2 1/2 feet of growth on the sargentii... If you want the Pseudophoenix look in the desert,make sure it's a sargentii.Just say'in...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

For Pseudophoenix, try George Sparkman at cycads-n-palms.com.  He's a great guy with lots of interesting plants and ships from Fallbrook, CA or you can pick up locally.  I've purchased a lot from him over the years and he's knowledgeable and excellent to work with.  The Sargentii I purchased from him a couple years ago is alive and pushing 2 Spears but slooooow.

When I first got interested in palms I thought hardly anything could grow in Phoenix.  Then I saw Scott's yard and I thought I could grow anything if I wanted it bad enough.  Scotts yard is amazing and he is always willing to spend time sharing advise.  He is an amazing asset to the Phoenix group.  Thanks Scott!

• Upvote 1

Royal poinciana (Delonix regia) is currently in full bloom. Fast growing tropical that we've had bloom a few years now thanks to our current string of warm winters.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

20180519_162014.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Mesa, Arizona