IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

Rod! I haven't seen you post in a while, you're the one that encouraged me to check out Palmtalk. I moved away from AZ a couple years ago, you may or may not have noticed that I stopped showing up at your house at random intervals to check out your palms. One of the last times I was there was when you hosted a gathering featuring a presentation from someone's trip to Argentina. Glad to see you posting, hope all of your many palms are doing well.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Rod, welcome back! Awesome to have someone with as much experience as you have here in the valley.

I don't have as much time during watering season to visit this great group. With work and watering, that's all the time I have (and energy). Not as young as I used to be. It's great to see so many more people from Arizona growing palms (and cycads). We need to get together sometime in the spring - if nothing else just to get to together and meet one another and talk palms! 20 years ago I felt like the lone palm grower. Then, one by one I started meeting more and more. We're not going to be the same size as the Florida or California groups - yet! The Arizona palm and cycad group just isn't doing anything - maybe one outting every other year - and then they meet on Saturdays when I'm not available (not complaining - just saying).

One person we lost several years ago was Tom in Gilbert. He was so gungho on palms and was quite knowledgeable and friendly (he still is - thanks Tom for always mentioning me - I owe you)! He responded on one of the above responses in this thread. He's now located in Florida - our loss and their gain. I know what possibilities he has for growing palms there (my envy).

Anyway, just got back in from covering some of my tender plants (I don't think I covered any palms). Our last frosts back in the winter of 2012-2013 really took out anything that was too tender. I hope we don't have any 22° nights ahead (knock on wood). I still miss my fruiting foxtail ! ! ! ! What surprised me the most was how well the Hyphaene's all survived - they looked tough until May then back to normal.

Good luck tonight and tomorrow night. May the warmth be with you!

rod

19th & tbird

phx

• Upvote 1

Rod,

I have totally seen your home with all of the palms. I sometimes take a detour on 19 th ave just to drive by and check out all of those big palms. They all look great.

Bryan

I second the get together! With so few rare palm growers here we need to speak to each other to learn from one another.

Sabal rosei was one of my favorite sabals. Quite fast for a sabal. How is your's doing? How long? How tall?

I have a sabal Yapa that I planted almost 20 years ago and does quite well considering where it is from!

rod

Our rosei is still pretty small but it really took off this past summer. We planted it late summer 2013 as a one gallon. It's probably 40" to the tip of its tallest frond.

I think your rosei may have been what inspired me to get one, Rod. By the way, the dioons we bought from you in 2013 are also doing great. Two of them actually flushed twice this past year.

We spent the majority of the afternoon getting more lights strung up and covering everything we could. I hope this is the only cold spell we get this winter!

I second the get together! With so few rare palm growers here we need to speak to each other to learn from one another.

We'd definitely be in... Xan loves to talk palms. :)

Here'e a photo of my Hyphaene compressa after several nights of freezing temperatures. Looks a little tough, but it will come back.

Alomost seven straight nights of below freezing:

12-26: 31°

12-27: 29°

12-28: 30°

12-29: 29°

12:30: 31°

1-1: 29°

1-2 26°

1-3 28°

rod

19th & t-bird

phoenix

post-262-0-81879700-1420399668_thumb.jpg

I don't consider being out of the woods, frost wise until after valentines day. Last year I didn't have any frost days - maybe something similar this year - we'll see. I have a tomato plant that is almost 2 years old. My ghost peppers survived also! ! !

rod

n phoenix

I get excited around feb 1 if I see good temps on the 10 day forecast. I know it can freeze later than that but it's not common. Almost there!

How is everyone looking now that the damage has had time to show? I faired very well with only minor cosmetic damage on a few things.

Palms:

Triangle Palm, about 8 ft tall, with 2 feet of clear trunk, fronds are discolored a bit, but somewhat green. I didn't protect, too big, got lazy. Should be fine. Has somewhat of over head protection by long Queen palm fronds.

Cuban royal with trunk diameter larger than a tennis ball, has about 50% damage, New spear is green still as well as lower fronds. Didn't protect, got lazy. Should be fine. Its growth appearance is grossly stretched as it is shaded most of summer by surrounding palms. That will change once it gets more height.

Butias, no damage as to be expected.

Dypsis L. protected, one trunk is about 1.5 inch diameter in the bunch, completely green. I also have two other plantings that I split up, looked like grass when I planted but now producing feathered fronds with no damage and no protection. They are planted under some butia palms.

Chinese Fan Palm, green, no damage.

Brahea Brandengii (sp) no damage

Pygmy Palms, top fronds are brown, but not too bad. Mostly still green, still look good. Some have damage, others in yard show no damage at all. Probably micro climate situation.

Sabal Blackburniania (sp) no damage, about 9 feet tall with 8 inch diameter trunk. Very dark blue green fronds, and very attractive.

Bismark Palm, no damage, 15 ft tall. However, they were damaged a few winters ago when we had a cold snap. But grew out of it quickly as temps rose. Also seems like this palm grows faster when it is cooler outside in my experience. Could be not enough water during summers.

Mediterranean Palms, no damage of course as well as Washy's

Non-Palms

One of my plumerias planted next to house, completely fried, I also wrapped with lights, and didn't take cover off when we warmed up and I think I cooked it. Also cold air drainage from roof pitching down on to it. Oh well. Others planted in yard i didn't protect and they still have all of their green leaves. They are the dwarf kind. The one that fried is a standard size one about 4 ft tall. I need to move it, not ideal location on the west side of house, gets fried in summer by that western sun and not enough water, but always bounces back by freeze, or extreme heat and blooms most years with dark pink flowers. One of the smaller ones that hasn't grown much in the last two summers I think is an obtusa species. Leaves are shinier and more round. Maybe not enough sun for it.

Bananas are toast, but I didn't care, they are too big to protect, and two of the three stocks had flowers with 4 inch bananas. Gonna cut them down anyhow. Pups below are green. They are Rajapuri's.

Ti Leaf Plants, I have about three planted under butia palms, covered, no damage. Growing very pink looking leaves now. I have the red variety, the hot pink kind, and a green one called kiwi. They seem to do fine. Been in the ground for two years now. This is their second winter.

Crotons, I have two, the standard looking one, and another i was told called "Mammie" covered, and no damage. Still very colorful, and going on second winter. Never experienced any leaf drop either. Planted in part morning sun, and afternoon and evening shade. You all in AZ should give them a try. Looks great near my pool with all of those colors on their leaves.

Canna Lily's mostly fried, but we all know they will grow back just fine.

Monsterosa Deliciousa (sp) also called swiss cheese plant, no damage, not covered, growing under a 18 foot mexican palm tree. Leaves are about 20 inches in diameter. These plants look awesome, very tropical, mostly full shade in summer, with some morning sun until noon or so. If you have a mostly shady spot in your yard, you should try it. Really one of my favorites

Variegated Pothos vines, I have lots of these growing under the pigmy palms, no damage, did not protect. Some of them are creeping up the trunks, mostly full shade with filtered sun at times. But full shade in winter as fence keeps them shaded all day with lower sun in sky. Also try these in shady areas if you have room. Leaves on mine are approaching 6 inches in diameter.

Dragon fruit, no damage, planted under a Coolabah Euc with white bark.

Lantanias have damage on the upper most portion, easy fix when they get trimmed up in spring.

Bouganvilla are mostly fried, some worse than others.

hibiscus, some damaged, but leaves are green inside bush, just outer leaves got scorched, and some in the yard show no damage at all. Did not protect

Tipu tree, no damage, and just planted on north side of house in october. Its pretty much in full shade this time of year from shadow of house. Awesome looking trees when they get larger. And pretty tropical looking. And lots of Shade, which my property needs.

Monkey Pod tree seedlings, about 7 inches tall, germinated at end of summer didn't show any damage outside the first three nights of cold weather. Once I got home after xmas I put them in the house. Who knows, maybe someday when planted in the ground they can survive. Not really sure what I'm gonna do with them once they outgrow their pots. Maybe they will remain small.

cocos, no damage of course, since they have been in the house since late november and have pushed about 17 inches of new fronds each since stowed away. I'd say they are still alive for another season. One is a tall, the other a dwarf I am assuming. I'm also attributing such nice growth to watering with very warm water, about twice a month. I drench their pots, they are in the bath tub.

King Palm, no damage, once again, i put them in the house when I got home, so they experienced some colder temperatures while I was away. They are potted up under my patio, so probably didn't even get to 32 degrees there at all.

Coldest temp I saw when I was in town, since I missed the first three nights of freezing being out of town was 30.2 degrees. My thermometer is also in the warmer spot ( I think ) of my yard with over head protection. Other than that, other temperatures I read were like 31 and 32 degrees for maybe two hours at most, guessing of course. I'm sure it got colder in less protected areas as evident with my cuban, triangle, and pygmy palms showing damage. All in all, not too bad, and a disaster averted.

When is it safe to start pruning plants here in phoenix? And when is our last average frost date here in the valley? I'm in avondale area.

Some minor frond damage to pygmy dates and largest triangle palm. Smallest royal (3 1/2 feet) and triangle (< 1 foot) took a beating but they'll survive. I think we managed to protect the newest fronds on the rupicola so that made me happy.

I think we escaped damage on everything else. Fingers crossed that's the last of the cold weather.

Oh... one of my potted bottles didn't fare too well, either. It was covered and under a heat lamp but the cover shifted due to wind and left the side open. Looks pretty bad but I think it'll survive.

I really need to just put them in the garage next time.

I thought I had better post this foto of my Male Borassus flower before it falls off. This past fall was the first time that it had done this. Unfortunately, no female yet to polinate it with. No damage to this palm so far this year!

rod

n phx

post-262-0-21241400-1421267859_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I want one. What kind of borassus Palm is this so I can read up on it. Nice looking Palm tree.

I believe it's a Flabellifer or Aethiopum. If it's in the NE corner of his backyard I placed my hand against the massive petiole and it was dwarfed

Steve

Peoria AZ

I was going thru my garden today and found a Borassus in a pot (same species as the one in the foto above). Looks like it's the last one this year. Someone came by and bought the others.

What about meeting at my house in March? If everyone brings something it'll be less of a burden on one person. I don't have a lot of room - may have to limit the number of people to come. Last time I had a meeting at my house, I gave a presentation on a trip I had made to Argentina - what a fantastic trip! I believe I limited it to 15 people.

rod

N Phx

Rod, a meeting at your place would be great. Thanks for offering up your home to the group. March seems like a good time to me. As long as it's not on the weekend of the 7-8th I should be able to make it. I'm happy to bring something if you can tell me what that something is. I could also bring some pots that I have thrown a bunch of seeds in and we can split them all up now that they have sprouted and people can take them home. I have way more than I need.

Even Yuma is too cold to reliably grow a coconut.Go a little further south to Rocky Point,Mexico and there are a few long term survivors there.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Have thought about the same thing regarding growing Coconuts in the Desert. Thinking there was a passing reference involving coconuts being tried near the Salton Sea long ago in another thread..

Anyhow. While dry heat and cold may be too much for success, might be an interesting experiment, provided you live in the warmest pockets of town, and live right next to a large man made lake.

-Nathan

Ryan:

Looks like no one else is interested in a meeting in March. I guess you could come over and I'll cook you a steak then.

rod

Xan and I are interested! Just been too busy to post... :)

Have thought about the same thing regarding growing Coconuts in the Desert. Thinking there was a passing reference involving coconuts being tried near the Salton Sea long ago in another thread..

Anyhow. While dry heat and cold may be too much for success, might be an interesting experiment, provided you live in the warmest pockets of town, and live right next to a large man made lake.

They really don't do well under 40 degrees so it's nearly impossible to keep them long term. Lots of us have tried.

I have a small one right now, but as Ryan said--it's in my greenhouse.

I am heading Phoenix next week. Time is very limited, but Any palmly places or people I should see?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ryan:

Looks like no one else is interested in a meeting in March. I guess you could come over and I'll cook you a steak then.

rod

Sorry, I've been out to lunch... Please accept this post as a legal and binding affirmative RSVP :winkie:

Looking forward to meeting palm enthusiasts located in the Valley of the Sun, in an informal get together for exchanging ideas and tips. Looking forward to tapping Rod's 20+ yrs of knowledge. :drool:

Edited by Peoria Palms

Steve

Peoria AZ

I am heading Phoenix next week. Time is very limited, but Any palmly places or people I should see?

imo Rod's place is the Cat's Meow. 99% of everything grown is from seed. My advice would be to have an extra suitcase handy and your impulse buying in check :)

Steve

Peoria AZ

I will also be sure to join in when a date is set.Great assortment of mature palms and cycads!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Ryan:

rod

Xan and I are interested! Just been too busy to post... :)

I'm interested as well.

Desert Botanical Gardens is a must see if you've never been there.Close to downtown Phoenix.No palms but tons of desert plants along paved trails with glass sculptures mixed in.Phoenix zoo,also,is right next door!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

i'd check out down town at the Phoenix Capitol Building. There are some cool palms and Trees. The Royal Palms Resort also has some cool stuff and fairly large Plumeria Trees.

I second Rod's place if you can find a time that works for both of you. The other suggestions already given are also great.

There are some cool palms at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum (an hour or so east of Phoenix), if you find yourself with time to swing out that way. Great cycads there as well.

http://ag.arizona.edu/bta/

Both times I was in town, first stop was Desert Botanical and Papago Park.. Very close to Sky Harbor. Zoo is next door as mentioned. Also might check out the Xeric Demo Garden in Glendale if time allows.. A few palms and lots of interesting plants. Looking forward to returning there this Summer.

ando.wsu, curious if any of the Royal Poincianas are still around.. Remember hearing about trees in front of Royal Palms Resort in the past on other forums.

-Nathan