IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

Finally! My Bizmarckia is going to flower.Was originally put in as a 1 gallon strap leaf plant 14 years ago.Impressive growth makes quite a statement in a small yard.Maybe like "What were you thinking??!"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Ahh! The cycle of life.Looks like there will be plenty of seeds this year to start a new generation.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-84703300-1405188249_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Finally! My Bizmarckia is going to flower.Was originally put in as a 1 gallon strap leaf plant 14 years ago.Impressive growth makes quite a statement in a small yard.Maybe like "What were you thinking??!"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Ahh! The cycle of life.Looks like there will be plenty of seeds this year to start a new generation.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Very cool, Scott! Look forward to seeing the seedling progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I really need to post some updated pictures. The mild winter really helped everything this year and the yard is looking better than ever. I took a go pro video of the yard but I'm having trouble uploading it to photobucket. I hope to share some eye candy soon.

Amazing... How did your bizmarckia fair the cold event a few years ago? How are they with the heat? I'm curious

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Heat is never a problem for Bismarckia.I have occasionally seen light cold damage over the years but they grow fast enough to replace the entire canopy in a year.They would never survive New Mexico cold though.I lived in Alamogordo, NM for 2 years and the only fat trunked palms that could survive there are california fans.

Aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Yeah I would never attempt one unless I built a greenhouse over it every winter.. which I wont do.. I prefer to lightly protect and if they make it they make it; even through establishment. I have 2 Rubbermaid trash cans that work just great! lol. yeah I am learning California Fans are among the best for NM palms... I have a filifera with 6 feet of trunk that has survived about the coldest winters Albuquerque can throw at it. So I have planted more of those... and Im working on Butia.. Butia hybrids.. Brahea.

I have family in Chandler and they have a huge yard.. must be at least a half acre...some Canary palms, a Mulberry and Mexican fans. I would like to get a few Bismarckia for them to plant as they are.. just "wow". They said it got down to 16 degrees during 'the freeze' a few years back so I wanted to see how yours faired...

They are striking.

I currently work in Chandler and it definitely does get several degrees cooler there than where I live in Mesa; just 25 miles away.Coldest I've ever seen in the last 15 years was 22 degrees. (When it WAS 16 in Chandler) There are several bismarcks growing there though...

Aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Nice picts. I spy a Royal to the left in pictures 2 and 3. :greenthumb:

Aztropic, Good luck with the Bismarck seed. Wonder what advantages seedlings might have compared to others raised elsewhere before being brought into the area.

-Nathan-

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Holy crap, that's a serious relocation! I'm guessing there's a pretty good story behind it... ?

The mild winter was definitely kind to a lot of our younger palms. Our livistona rigida has doubled in size. The bizmarckia pushes a new frond about every 3 weeks. One of our mules that started as a 3 gallon last July pushed a frond that is taller than our 6 foot block wall. Everything is really starting to take off and I can't wait to see what the yard looks like a year from now.

Even this year's new acquisitions are putting out nice growth. We planted a 5 gallon parajubaea at the outer edge of a large canariensis canopy and its trunk has doubled in width in just a few months. I'm starting to think it will outcompete the canariensis height-wise within a couple of years.

Not too exciting of a story. I lost a mature queen palm in that spot and had seen this reclinata in a commercial area for years. Made the owner a reasonable offer and he was happy to sell it. Very hard to find reclinatas of this size in Phx so I jumped on it.

Very nice. That is a huge reclinata.

About the only way you can buy reclinatas in town is a 36" box with a cluster of 5-8' palms. We looked everywhere for 15 gallon size but nobody had any smaller ones at all. I finally ordered seedlings off ebay last year.

I know it's not a palm, but I bought my husband an encephalartos trispinosis for his birthday.

Anyone have one? I know they can't take our full sun, but any thoughts on how much they CAN take? It was a bit pricey so I don't want it to get cooked.

I only have 2 E. cycads in the ground;sclavoi (pic) and ferox.They receive direct morning sun,filtered through canopy mid day sun,and no direct afternoon sun.With this combination,they are right on the edge;looking good until we get our hottest days (116 F so far this year);then have a slight tan until the fall flush.

A spot under some canopy,shaded from direct afternoon sun,would be ideal.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-50030800-1407457595_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Aztropic-

Is that the only time of year Encephalartos will flush? I have lehmanii and it has flushed a couple times the past year... in a pot...

I recently put it in the ground and now nothing.

E.ferox flushes spring and fall.E.sclavoi main cadux flushes fall/winter although it has 4 offsets that randomly throw out a new leaf or two a few times a year.

Aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 weeks later...

AZ folks, with all this rain we are getting. I'm betting our palms are gonna sky rocket with growth. Flush out the soils a bit from salt build up, and maybe even look a bit greener with a bit of relief from this heat. My grass sure looks much better.

• 4 months later...

With the colder nights upon us, I'm curious what others in Arizona do to protect their less hearty palms. I've wrapped our royals and triangles with Christmas lights and covered the smaller ones. I'm hoping it doesn't get much colder than it has been (about 30 here in east Mesa so far).

How often do you water at this time of year?

That is what I do if I see 30 or below. If it's above that I do nothing but hope. I'm watering every 7 days.

I completely agree with Ryan.Until I see 29 on the thermometer,or 20's are predicted for Phoenix,I don't attempt to protect anything.That being said,I am ready to apply my protective measures at a moments notice to a select few.Most of my palms are too big to worry about.If 1 dies,it just gives me some space to try something new.I am currently watering about every 10 days now and let the ground dry out well since everything is sleeping. The last 3 nights lows for me have been 32,32,31.Nothing to worry about; yet. :bemused:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Ill second not protecting anything until it's forecasted to be 30 or lower.

I did come home from being out of town to some slightly browned up a bit banana leaves. And some of the bougainvillea growing in shade this time of year had crispy leaves.

Sunday's low for me was 34. I reckon it got colder on Friday and Saturday.

When you guys water, are you watering deep this time of year. I have watered once in the last month and thought maybe I should increase watering just a bit. What are your thoughts?

I'm watering pretty shallow. Hopefully the cold this coming weekend is above 30 but it's not looking good for me.

The only palms I'm worried about are my rupicolas. Have frost cloth ready but unused so far. How often are you watering the potted plants? Ryan did you plant the coconut queen? If so how's it doing? Filtered light? I'm tempted if you have success.

Anxious to see how my sunkha reacts to the cooler temps. Planted 15g on Sept 22. So far just sitting there gaining trunk girth, still pushing out spearpost-10279-0-73717700-1419868576_thumb.jpost-10279-0-75134300-1419868660_thumb.j.

Steve

Peoria AZ

I'm watering pretty shallow. Hopefully the cold this coming weekend is above 30 but it's not looking good for me.

Here, either. We're in east Mesa on the border of AJ so temps tend to be a bit lower than in town. I picked up a few extra strings of C7 lights after Christmas which put off a bit more heat. From the looks of the forecast I've seen, I'll likely be spending New Years day getting them strung up.

I did not put the coco queen in the ground as I'm moving so not more plants in the ground here. It's warm in the greenhouse.

I'm showing 3 nights in a row at 30 so I'm covering everything which will take 6+ hours. I'm afraid that one of those nights could drop down to 28 or 29 and I don't want to be surprised. Odd thing to note. I see some cold damage on one of my royals that is out in the open but none on a spindle, foxtail, king, and a veichia that are under minor canopy of a magnolia tree. Not sure if that tree is really good for a few degrees or if I just have a wimpy royal?

my bananas are browned on top most leaves. I was out of town when that happened. However, I will be protecting tonight and the next night it looks like. I haven't noticed any damage on palms yet, but I haven't looked too hard. Most tender palms i have would be a royal, triangle, and a butterfly palm. I guess we will see what the next couple nights bring.

Here is what I have been up to.

image_zps3079851d.jpg

That machine is a beast!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

my bananas are browned on top most leaves. I was out of town when that happened. However, I will be protecting tonight and the next night it looks like. I haven't noticed any damage on palms yet, but I haven't looked too hard. Most tender palms i have would be a royal, triangle, and a butterfly palm. I guess we will see what the next couple nights bring.

Best of luck with everything! Its been real cold here In California as well

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I picked up some C7 Christmas lights on clearance the other day so I'm going to string those up instead of the mini lights. Two of our royals are borderline too tall to cover, especially by myself. Hoping the Christmas lights will be sufficient. I'm mostly worried about protecting the crown since they grow fast once the weather warms up. One has a big spear that hasn't opened yet though--hopefully I can keep it safe.

Re-covering small triangles and royals. Do I need to worry about sabals? They seem pretty durable.

I've got heat lamps on my bottle palms (in pots on the patio). Hopefully that's enough. One got badly damaged last winter in the one cold week we had and it took most of the summer to grow out of it.

Edited by SueH_AZ

In north Scottsdale, I was driving at 11:00 a.m. today and the rain turned to SNOW and SLEET. My car thermometer said 29 F. I think tonight is going to be brutal!!!

Gene

Well, most things I care about the most are wrapped up. My fingers are crossed.

I didnt realize how big my Cuban and triangle palms were. So they only got lights wrapped around the growing point.

Bananas are already froze except the pups near the base and one of my tallest plumeria trees out in the open planted next to house completely fried. Probably due to cold air run off.

The Bouganvillia that see more shade this time of year are already fried. Ones in the sun look perfect ish. Same goes with hibiscus.

However, the one dwarf plumeria I have planted at the base of a butia Palm is completely green still with no added protection.

Keeping my fingers crossed on triangle and Cuban. I'd rather not have then defoliate. Esp the triangle. It was looking so good with 9 green fronds. Grr

I picked up some C7 Christmas lights on clearance the other day so I'm going to string those up instead of the mini lights. Two of our royals are borderline too tall to cover, especially by myself. Hoping the Christmas lights will be sufficient. I'm mostly worried about protecting the crown since they grow fast once the weather warms up. One has a big spear that hasn't opened yet though--hopefully I can keep it safe.

Re-covering small triangles and royals. Do I need to worry about sabals? They seem pretty durable.

I've got heat lamps on my bottle palms (in pots on the patio). Hopefully that's enough. One got badly damaged last winter in the one cold week we had and it took most of the summer to grow out of it.

Hey sue,

I never have protected my sabal. Its only been in the ground about 3 years, so I don't think it has seen a terribly cold event yet. I can't think back that far. It is a sabal blackburniania or something like that spelling.

I think sabals are fine here without protection. For palms that are too tall I tie up all the fronds then wrap in a blanket then c9 lights then another blanket. I don't see this as being that bad right now. I'm showing just at 32 tonight and 30 the next 2 nights. I assume it may get a bit colder the next night or 2 but I think the heavy cloud cover will keep us from freezing tonight. We will see what happens when it clears up tomorrow though.

My sabal minors are on there own. Is anyone growing sabal tamaulipas out here in the desert? If so, are there any local AZ dealers? Thanks

Edited by Peoria Palms

Steve

Peoria AZ

Looks like it is going to get a little cold tonight and tomorrow night. Then...next week it's suppose to warm up to middle 70's. There was some snow falling in downtown Phoenix at midnight. I've only seen it snow in phoenix once before (heat island effect has something to do with that). Keep your fingers crossed it won't get down too low! ! !

rod

phoenix

My sabal minors are on there own. Is anyone growing sabal tamaulipas out here in the desert? If so, are there any local AZ dealers? Thanks

We have two small sabal tamaulipas that we just put in the ground last spring. They were only 1 gallon sized and haven't pushed any real fronds yet though. I bought them online but all of the sabals we've put in the ground seem extremely durable so it is surprising that places here in town don't carry more of them. I have a sabal rosei that gets blasted with reflected heat on the north wall and it doesn't miss a beat.

We woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground. Really wishing I had covered more. One of the heat bulbs over my bottle palms burned out overnight, too. We'll definitely be spending time in the yard covering trees today.

Sabal rosei was one of my favorite sabals. Quite fast for a sabal. How is your's doing? How long? How tall?

I have a sabal Yapa that I planted almost 20 years ago and does quite well considering where it is from!

rod