IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

Here's a pic of a few of them.

aztropic

Mesa, AZ

post-236-0-76195100-1394561874_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

The desert is a tougher climate to grow palms in but I am amazed at how many different species actually excel, even with the lack of moisture.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Hello to all. This is my first post. Just got into palm trees recently. I live in the palms springs area and I am just trying to find out what I can grow here. I found this thread and im excited because of what you guys are growing in Arizona. Hopefully I can do the same as you guys. And thanks for the info and advise you guys give here it is very helpful for me since everyone says "they need full sun" in southern California but I know that it doesn't apply to me so you Arizona people are gonna be a lot of help to me in getting my palm tree landscape growing.

Welcome to PalmTalk.

I'll be interested to hear about what is growing for you there.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The desert is a tougher climate to grow palms in but I am amazed at how many different species actually excel, even with the lack of moisture.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

How does your big Sabal do (and which one is it by the way) if you don't water it (at different times of the year)?

Hello to all. This is my first post. Just got into palm trees recently. I live in the palms springs area and I am just trying to find out what I can grow here. I found this thread and im excited because of what you guys are growing in Arizona. Hopefully I can do the same as you guys. And thanks for the info and advise you guys give here it is very helpful for me since everyone says "they need full sun" in southern California but I know that it doesn't apply to me so you Arizona people are gonna be a lot of help to me in getting my palm tree landscape growing.

Hey there,

Gary Levine has a garden up in Escondido. It has a similar climate to palm springs - probably a little lower lows in the winter, and 15 - 20 degrees cooler in the summer - but it can likely get over 100F on a hot day.

Anyways, this may give a good idea on what palms to look into.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32205-visit-to-gary-levines-palmscape/?hl=%2Bdesert+%2Bgarden#entry517610

• Upvote 1

Hey there,

Gary Levine has a garden up in Escondido. It has a similar climate to palm springs - probably a little lower lows in the winter, and 15 - 20 degrees cooler in the summer - but it can likely get over 100F on a hot day.

Anyways, this may give a good idea on what palms to look into.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32205-visit-to-gary-levines-palmscape/?hl=%2Bdesert+%2Bgarden#entry517610

Gary Levine - "Yes I get horrible Santa Ana winds. My average high in summer is 87F and 70F in the winter. My average low in the summer is 63F and in the winter it's 42F."

• Upvote 1

Here's a pic of a few of them.

aztropic

Mesa, AZ

impressive..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a link to a garden in Riverside.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39898-x-mas-pra-1-david-doubravsky-garden-in-riverside/?hl=%2Bdesert+%2Bgarden

I'll see if I can find a thread from a garden in the palm springs area - I know there are several. From what I remember there were Date palms, hyphaene, copernica, and livistona.

• Upvote 1

here is a good sampler of what you can grow in phoenix

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/15006-rod-andersons-desert-jungle/

Rod grew almost everything from seed.

many species livistona

3 species hyphaene

borassus, 2 species

copernicia alba

acrocomia

sabals

phoenix, 3? species

some great bismarckias

lots of other stuff as well

Rod used to have seedling of uncommon(for phoenix) stuff that he would sell.

He didn't grow brahea armata, but the love the desert heat and sun.

many more

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

SueH_AZ's, how are your palms doing ?

Everything we put in the ground last summer/fall is doing great! I'll post some new pictures soon. With the mild winter we had, the royal has put on amazing growth in just 9 months.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post some better pictures of my yard once everything has put out some new growth and can be pruned, but at Aye's request, here's an updated picture of one of the royals we put in the ground last year. I tried to take it from the same angle as the picture I posted last year, which was taken on 7/22/2013 (within a week of planting).

(Note--I'm having trouble adding images and I don't have time to troubleshoot at the moment... )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suehenderson/13742226275/

The mule palm was sadly dug up shortly after planting by one of our boxers. It sustained a fair amount of root damage so it has been somewhat slow to recover. However, it's currently pushing healthy new growth.

This particular royal put out 3 new fronds last year before slowing down over the winter. The most obvious change to me is how much thicker the trunk has gotten. It's also currently pushing new growth. Here's a picture of just the royal, showing the new growth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suehenderson/13742635544/

Both of the royals held up beautifully in the heat of the summer. They do get some light filtering in the late afternoon, but they're mostly in full sun. The discoloration in the older fronds didn't occur until winter. They were quite green all through fall.

Edited by SueH_AZ

Finally! My Bizmarckia is going to flower.Was originally put in as a 1 gallon strap leaf plant 14 years ago.Impressive growth makes quite a statement in a small yard.Maybe like "What were you thinking??!"

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-27717000-1397259548_thumb.jpg

post-236-0-07265300-1397259665_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Mesa, Arizona

Climate in Palm Springs is quite different from Escondido (yes, I live in the area). PS has much less humidity and lower lows during winter, often ending up in mid-20s with frost. Escondido is close to the ocean and the increased humidity is noticeable. Winter low temps in Escondido hover in mid-30s with infrequent dips below freezing. Of course, the mid-summer highs in PS are in often in 115 range while in Escondido they are in mid-80s to 90s and perhaps in the 100s in some areas. It's brutal heat in PS during the summer.

Palms that grow easily in Escondido will have a hard time surviving in Palm Springs.

Hey palmtalkers! Thanks for the info on this thread and others. It's very helpful, especially for those who are just getting started.

I've found some neat information about my local climate. Turns out the Coachella Valley has a very unique climate. Ive found there is big differences between low deserts and high deserts. Especially when it comes to growing palms :) . I'll keep growing palm trees and trying everything I can get my hands on, and I'll make sure and keep you guys posted.

If you guys get a chance, check out http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3784/

Aztropic: super nice Bismarck! Very aesthetic. I'd love to see what it looks like from a drivers point of view as they drive by. Last month I planted two in my front yard on both sides of my driveway :)

a few pics of what's going on this spring in Phoenix. All survived winter with little protection. Luckily, alrit never froze at my house. Only superficial damage to a banana leaf. Various palm species including Chinese fan palm, buzzy, and some other plant species. They seem to do alright in the phoenix summer with some shade.

post-6564-0-14639800-1397439806_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-36316500-1397439826_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-09075100-1397439842_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-49391300-1397439854_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-75117800-1397439867_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-14506600-1397439886_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-03502100-1397439910_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-03315800-1397439924_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-62090100-1397439939_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-16780100-1397439961_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-01509500-1397439984_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-28742600-1397439996_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

some philodendrons, two species that took this winter with ease. A palm pic of a brahea brandegeii, and some ti leaf, and canna lilies. I couldn't get great pics of a triangle palm and two small royals. They got lost within all of the foliage growing around them. This is their summer to get tall.

post-6564-0-68623600-1397440321_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-83075200-1397440330_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-73279500-1397440340_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-42801600-1397440353_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-15535200-1397440365_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-31189600-1397440380_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-93449600-1397440391_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-63154200-1397440403_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

my two year old cocos palms still trucking along. Not sure they are enjoying this low humidity, but they continue to push new fronds, the dwarf is growing faster than the tall. Then just some other cool tropical looking foliage to make it not so desert here. My backyard is small, so my water bill really isn't all that expensive. Worse came to worse, I'll let my grass turn brown before the plants go dead to save water. I can always paint dead grass green to make it look nice :)

post-6564-0-56220400-1397441410_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-85402900-1397441419_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-49609100-1397441430_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-27338800-1397441439_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-02829300-1397441449_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-43834600-1397441457_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-93647700-1397441466_thumb.jp

post-6564-0-25594700-1397441477_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

my two year old cocos palms still trucking along. Not sure they are enjoying this low humidity, but they continue to push new fronds, the dwarf is growing faster than the tall. Then just some other cool tropical looking foliage to make it not so desert here. My backyard is small, so my water bill really isn't all that expensive. Worse came to worse, I'll let my grass turn brown before the plants go dead to save water. I can always paint dead grass green to make it look nice :)

surprisingly pothos vines do well here in the desert thus far. They survived low humidity and cold temperatures this winter planted underneath some dwarf date palms. They are growing like crazy, faster than the ones I have as house plants and much brighter in coloration. A couple of them are beginning to climb up some palms and getting larger leaves similar to the ones I have seen in hawaii.

Lots of great pictures! This past winter was easy on my plants so I have high hopes for this summer. I will try to get the camera out in the next week or two to share my pictures.

I need to get some better pictures, too--if nothing else, for my own albums so I can remember how everything looked when it was first planted.

ando.wsu--that shot of your pool looks somewhat similar to ours (although yours is much more grown in!), except based on the position of the sun, I'm guessing you face a much better direction than we do. Our pool is in the NW corner of our yard, along the west wall. It can be a challenge.

Just placed an order for a brahea decumbens, parajubaea torallyi and a nannorrhops ritchiana. The jungle grows... :)

I will be visiting Joe with Discovery Island Palms in about 2 weeks with a bit of extra room in my enclosed trailer if any AZ people want something brought back.

You are opening up a big can of worms there, Ryan... we were just trying to figure out where to put the new palms we got and said we needed to stop for a while.

But you know, if he happens to have any of those carpentaria palms that Scott posted on another thread... well... *ahem*

I did not see those when I was out there two months ago but that does not mean anything. Check with him and let me know.

Heading out in about a week if anybody wants me to bring them back something. Talk to me or Joe.

I think we're on a self-imposed palm tree ban for the time being.

We've reached the point of ripping out healthy, established plants to make room for the trees that we ordered. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Found the perfect spot for the parajubaea torallyi I ordered and was so excited to get it planted. Then today, this insane wind blows one of our patio chairs into it and bent it completely over at the soil line.

I hate this wind... :(

you sure didn't exercise palm control very long :) Sorry your palm got hit. I'm on palm hiatus, I literally have no place until the ones i have grow a little taller, then it is under story palm planting. yay.

you sure didn't exercise palm control very long :) Sorry your palm got hit. I'm on palm hiatus, I literally have no place until the ones i have grow a little taller, then it is under story palm planting. yay.

Heh... Actually, that tree was in the recent order (of four) that put us in palm tree timeout. I'm seriously hoping it didn't sever any critical roots. It's a pretty small tree. I sure didn't need it to get beat up right before the summer heat hits... :rant:

We're in the same boat, though. Trying to stop and let things get some height so we can do some fill-in planting. As it is, we expanded our palm planting into the part of the yard that we intended to leave more desert-y.

If any Arizona people are interested in brahea, Shady Way Gardens in Apache Junction has two brahea nitidas left. A little beat up but healthy new growth is emerging.

We bought one several weeks back. Very cool looking at this young stage...

I think the gorgeous palm tree at "In 'n Out" on Chandler Boulevard just east of the 101 is a Bismarckia. (I'm new to palms, but it's pretty distinctive.)

It's pretty spectacular, whatever it is.

Still waiting on my argun palm seeds to do something!

Sue I will have one of those syagrus schizophylla x syagrus r. For you to test in AZ. Just waiting for it to root out a bit more.

Sue I will have one of those syagrus schizophylla x syagrus r. For you to test in AZ. Just waiting for it to root out a bit more.

Thank you, Erik! Looking forward to giving it a try.

The mules are still putting on lots of new growth. I can't wait to see them at the end of summer...

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of our experiments to revive the thread... :)

Sabal rosei, planted last summer. It just now seems to have set its feet--growing at a good pace. Gets full sun and reflected heat most of the day (north wall) and it doesn't seem to phase it.

14627269343_7638f28b9c.jpg

Livistona rigida, planted last summer. Still full sun but on the south side of the house so it doesn't get completely baked in dry June weather.

14604037351_3e4b3858f5.jpg

One of the royals, planted last summer. This one gets a lot of filtering in May-June but as the sun starts to go back to the south, it gets a fair amount of direct sun. It does get a lot of extra moisture being next to the lawn. Absolutely seems to love the heat. It really took off once the nighttime temps warmed up.

14420875687_20d13898d4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1