IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

I was wondering if it would be nice to have an Arizona thread where the few of us Arizona people can directly discuss with each other growing (or trying to grow) palms. I feel that while the input from others in CA and beyond is very helpful it does not always apply to us in AZ. I see people say that this or that palm wants full sun, and while that is the case for CA or elsewhere not too many palms can take full AZ sun. Hoping a few other Arizona people will chime in on this thread and maybe use it for posting AZ specific questions.

I will throw out the first questions. I see Mule palms and Parajueba palms recommended for full sun. How many hours are we talking for us in Phoenix?

• Upvote 3

Both of those are very tough.They will do fine in Arizona in any setting you can put them in - even full all day sun.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I agree, I had both Butia and Queens in my back yard in Buckeye in full sun and it didn't bother them at all as long as moisture was adequate so I suppose mules would be fine. I didn't have experience with parajubaea though.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Anybody have any thoughts on the amount of sun I can give my Beccariophoenix safely?

Anybody have any thoughts on the amount of sun I can give my Beccariophoenix safely?

mine is in full sun during the summer, at least greater than 8 hours. But completely shaded in winter time. I planted it about 14 months ago and it grew one leaf, however, i believe it was growing more roots than anything. It was shipped bare root, so a little transplant shock. It is now beginning to push another leaf now that it is warmed up and when I pull on the plant is anchored into the soil firmly. I'd say plant full sun, and give enough water, and be sure that it is acclimated before you plunge it into full sun. I hear they grow faster with more sun.

I have a non windows planted on the east side of the house.It receives sun to 1 pm currently and grows slow but steady.It is showing some burn from this past winters freeze,after being completely defoliated 2 years ago from 23 degree temps.This year,I had 25 for the coldest nights and it looks much better.Most years don't drop below 29 F for me.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-34262700-1365369544_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 months later...

Jumping in and bumping this thread... my first post. I live in east Mesa and have been lurking for quite some time.

I'm very interested in hearing what others have successfully grown in full sun in Arizona (outside of those commonly sold in Arizona). My husband and I really want to find a dypsis decipiens and a jubaeopsis caffra. We're thinking of taking a trip to California before fall to try and find them. I'd also like a couple of roystonea regia.

Aztropic--I wanted to know if your bottle palms survived the freakish cold spell we had last winter. I've wanted to try one for years but everyone says they won't grow here. I was so excited to see the pictures of yours!

Welcome to PalmTalk! I don't know how heat tolerant dypsis decipiens and a jubaeopsis caffra are since I don't live in Arizona, but I have a hunch they should do fine for you. Send Tom (Sonorafans) a PM, he used to live there and he is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to growing palms in Arizona. jubaeopsis caffra might need a little protection in the Winter during major freezes to prevent cosmetic damage, but they're pretty tough little plants. Both of these palms require the hot day/cold night combo you have the rest of the year, but they'll probably just slow down during the peak heat months.

George Sparkman has some pretty big jubaeopsis for sale, he's the only one I know who's got any. Tejas Tropicals sold out.

My husband and I really want to find a dypsis decipiens and a jubaeopsis caffra. We're thinking of taking a trip to California before fall to try and find them. I'd also like a couple of roystonea regia.

Aztropic--I wanted to know if your bottle palms survived the freakish cold spell we had last winter. I've wanted to try one for years but everyone says they won't grow here. I was so excited to see the pictures of yours!

Dypsis decipiens and Jubaeopsis caffra are both poor choices for Arizona and have little to no chance of survival.It's just too hot for them over our summers and they will just dry up in the month of June or rot out in August from the wet heat.

That being said,there are many other interesting palms that will do well here.I've had good luck with many of the desert and Caribbean species.

The bottle palm will grow well here if given your best microclimate. SE corner of the house is usually the best spot,shaded from the western summer sun. Keeping them in a decorative pot on the patio is probably an even safer option.Here's a pic of mine taken today.Its been planted in the ground about 11 years now from a 3 gallon plant brought back from a California HD.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-31938500-1372901135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Thanks, Axel and Aztropic for the advice...

I'll probably try the bottle palm in a pot. I do have a good spot to put one in the ground, I think, under the canopy of a large canariensis near our west wall, somewhat near our pool for added humidity.

I haven't shopped for palms in California before--but is it common for Home Depot there to carry bottle palms? I know they carry a lot of different trees that ours here don't, but that surprised me. I thought they were a little harder to find than that.

I appreciate the input...

Glad to see another Arizona person here. I have had great luck with the bottle for about 18 months now in a pot. Its about 4-5 feet tall. Another option I'm doing is use fabric pots and sink the pot into the ground in spring and pull it out in case of freeze and move to a warmer spot.

Does Arizona have a similar climate to Las Vegas?

yes, but a little more extreme

A bit hotter but not colder. Monsoons give the VOTS a unique climate in the summer

"I'm not crazy. It's not knowing what I don't know that drives me insane"

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Becarriophx alfredii about two years from a five gal. Takes a lot of sun

post-5751-0-52006300-1373063168_thumb.jp

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Parajub tor-tor in all day sun. Two years from a five gal, it's a rocket.

post-5751-0-27980200-1373063750_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Patrick, looks like its cooking a bit against the wall. It may take a lot of sun, but might be happier with 1/2 day sun. In my experience the hot block wall that gets western sun is the worst. If a palm is getting cooked, it will drop fronds. That alfie looks like it has.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

that tor tor looks great, looks like a winner in AZ. I remember hearing they don't like the heat of summer, but you'd never know it with that one...

Tom Blank

Livistona australis grows like weed in all day sun.

post-5751-0-71648700-1373064201_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Mule palm and crazy queen both from three leaf strapers two years ago.

post-5751-0-80270000-1373064588_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Livistona muellerii. Nice 360* fronds. This is supposed to be a dwarf species but its this big after two years from a 3gal

post-5751-0-28678100-1373064956_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Patrick, looks like its cooking a bit against the wall. It may take a lot of sun, but might be happier with 1/2 day sun. In my experience the hot block wall that gets western sun is the worst. If a palm is getting cooked, it will drop fronds. That alfie looks like it has.

Hey Tom. I actually burned it w a chiminea that was next to it. I agree tho a little more shade would be beneficial but it will have to sit tight until a euky about 15' away shades the area in the afternoon.

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Acrocomia mexicana growing out of some frostbite.

post-5751-0-38419600-1373065727_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

that tor tor looks great, looks like a winner in AZ. I remember hearing they don't like the heat of summer, but you'd never know it with that one...

George Sparkman sold that to me as a tor-tor but its leafs are softer and lack the silvery undersides like the other one I have. Who knows.

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

Hey Tom. I actually burned it w a chiminea that was next to it. I agree tho a little more shade would be beneficial but it will have to sit tight until a euky about 15' away shades the area in the afternoon.

Good plan Patrick! LOL! burned it with a chiminea? It will be interesting to see it grow in in a few years. I remember CA folks saying a palm was full sun and mine getting burned in western sun. there is full sun and there is full Arizona sun at 110F and 10% RH, LOL!

Tom Blank

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I visited Patrick last weekend and he gave us a great deal on a few young palms he had growing in his greenhouse (thank you again, Patrick!). We were both really impressed with his collection.

We took advantage of the humidity this past week to put the two royals and the bizmarck in the ground, as well as two mule palms I had ordered last month from ErikSJI. The young royals are getting some filtered light from some mature queen palms that are planted nearby so I'm hoping they'll do well.

A shot of one of the mules and royals (along with an existing queen and med fan nearby)... they got a good soaking yesterday.

9348136270_39193c9fd9_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My husband and I visited Patrick last weekend and he gave us a great deal on a few young palms he had growing in his greenhouse (thank you again, Patrick!). We were both really impressed with his collection.

We took advantage of the humidity this past week to put the two royals and the bizmarck in the ground, as well as two mule palms I had ordered last month from ErikSJI. The young royals are getting some filtered light from some mature queen palms that are planted nearby so I'm hoping they'll do well.

A shot of one of the mules and royals (along with an existing queen and med fan nearby)... they got a good soaking yesterday.

9348136270_39193c9fd9_b.jpg

sue,

I would watch that mule and royal closely. I don't know what your sun exposure is, but sometimes its best to have netting overhead new plantings for the first summer out there. I'd get some netting and some 5-7' tree stakes and put it overhead till the heat/sun cool off in october. Especially true since the royal came out of a greenhouse... good luck!

Tom Blank

We definitely will. It's hard to tell from the picture but they are getting some filtered light from that queen palm. We'll put up some shade cloth if it heats up and dries out again. Right now, the humidity is high and it's pretty overcast, so there isn't much danger.

We thought about waiting until fall to plant them but we put some stuff in the ground last year in October and then we had that nasty cold spell before anything had had a chance to get established. We put heat lamps out on everything and ended up only losing one foxtail palm, but a bunch of our trees still look like crap. We thought it might be better to get these in the ground while it's humid outside to give them a bit of a head start.

i'm impressed and the variety you guys are still able to do in that heat! .... do you guys get a lot of frost out in AZ?

We definitely will. It's hard to tell from the picture but they are getting some filtered light from that queen palm. We'll put up some shade cloth if it heats up and dries out again. Right now, the humidity is high and it's pretty overcast, so there isn't much danger.

We thought about waiting until fall to plant them but we put some stuff in the ground last year in October and then we had that nasty cold spell before anything had had a chance to get established. We put heat lamps out on everything and ended up only losing one foxtail palm, but a bunch of our trees still look like crap. We thought it might be better to get these in the ground while it's humid outside to give them a bit of a head start.

sue,

no problem putting them in, I just think they will do better with shadecloth. I had a small 5g royal and this became obvious quickly. AZ sun is really too much for most newly planted small palms, especially water lovers, unless its morning sun and a few hours. A smooth transition is always better, and don trust the shade from the queen, it doesn't shade for long as the sun moves.

Tom Blank

• 1 month later...

I never thought I'd have to worry about my new palms getting too wet and rotting in September.

Stop with this rain, already! We've planted 17 new trees this summer and half of them are sitting in a lake. :rant:

I hope you're right. All seem to be draining relatively well when the rain lets up for any period of time, with the exception of the Phoenix Rupicola. The water running off the house is keeping its irrigation well pretty full.

Everything has done great. We put a lot of thought into where we were planting everything, as we made a few mistakes last fall. I think we had just enough filtering on the royals--they have literally grown a foot taller and show zero signs of stress. Both royals have opened two new leaves and the bizmarckia is on its third. The mule palms seem completely unfazed by their full sun locations.

In the past couple of weeks, we've planted some really cool new young trees (a pseudophoenix sargentii, a couple of coccothrinax, some phoenix reclinatas and a sabal rosei). They haven't been in the ground long enough to be affected by the heat, but I expect them all to do well here. The sargentii is under the canopy of a large canariensis and it gets a good amount of filtering.

I hope to get some pictures of everything posted soon.

I should add--I did buy a little bottle palm for my back porch. It also has grown extremely well and is currently pushing out its second new leaf.

I've wanted one of these for years and I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner. I may get brave enough to try one in the ground eventually. :)

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum ad wanted to see if I can get some help. I'm looking for palms that will take full sun and not get over 15 ft tall. Are my only options a med fan and pigmy date?? The other thing I was considering for that area was a Palma sola cycad but I'm having a hard time finding one. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

You could try some of the slow growing Caribbean species like Pseudophoenix, Coccothrinax, or Copernicia.They take alot of sun and it would be 20 years or more before any of them reach 15 feet in our climate.I've had a few in each of those species planted in the ground in AZ for years with great results.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona