IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Local Arizona Thread

MKIVRYAN

Guaiacum tree another favorite that is probably a little rarer than most in Phoenix 

008EB6EC-E58E-4A4A-A94A-5A97C8F931E9.jpeg

Edited by 96720
Picture
  • Like 3

this is the hottest corner of my yard, so far, everyone has been good here, even after last years hell summer

the mule is new, everything else has been here awhile..

Enjoy1676532241_hotcorner.thumb.jpg.72949a0d5446888c14651b4d21045725.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Is anyone growing beccariophoenix palms in Phoenix in full sun 

Mines in full sun, not looking good. I have to put some shaders up when temp gets too high. Everyone always recommends these palms for the desert because they can keep up with our cold but I do not recommend due to our summers.

I have 5 in varying amounts of sun the one in full sun doesn’t look that good but the ones in shade are beautiful!!

0B12089A-624D-49A6-AF7E-AAA785395457.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

nothing looks "good" out here now, except my barrel cactus and saguaro, but, these look pretty good, all things considered!

I've started deep soaking my newer trees at least once a week until these 115+ degree days ease up a bit...Is that too much water, or, you cant overwater when its this hot???

thanks

• Like 1

I leave water running all the time and move it from tree to tree I don’t think you can overwater this time of year. I have hoses running all over the jungle 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2021 at 10:37 AM, wase471111 said:

nothing looks "good" out here now, except my barrel cactus and saguaro, but, these look pretty good, all things considered!

I've started deep soaking my newer trees at least once a week until these 115+ degree days ease up a bit...Is that too much water, or, you cant overwater when its this hot???

thanks

Can't overwater... Imagine yourself, standing in place of that palm...no hat :crying:

All day long in 115F temperatures,full blazing sun.

I'm deep soaking twice a week in ground, and twice a day in pots! That's what it takes to produce good looking plants for sale in the Arizona desert.:P

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

31 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Can't overwater... Imagine yourself, standing in place of that palm...no hat :crying:

All day long in 115F temperatures,full blazing sun.

I'm deep soaking twice a week in ground, and twice a day in pots! That's what it takes to produce good looking plants for sale in the Arizona desert.:P

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

thanks man, I was hoping you would chime in, since I know you take fanttastic care of your stuff, and I try to do the same!

I was especially concerned with the 5 new trees I have, all less than 8 months in the ground, and didnt want to flood them out. My cactus experience always taught me "less is best", but, its a whole different world when these trees are involved. 

one quick question: if it goes back down to "normal" (103-109) high temps, do you still follow that extreme regimen?

Thanks again, and stay frosty!

30 to 50 gallons of water per plant is a deep soak. If you have a standard 2 gallon per hour drip,run it for about 15 HOURS strait - not the 15 minutes the landscapers programed it to.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

• 4 months later...

Is anybody selling any bismarck palms? Looking to add a few to my backyard landscape, and hoping to find something more reasonably priced than home depot/lowes and especially Moon Valley

• Like 1

I have 9 baby Bismarckia started from seeds. Now they are one to two gallons size. If you have time, a good way to grow it cheap.

Two years ago I brought two 20 gallons from Home Depot at $300 for one and $150 for another due to one and half palm frond left.

They both grows well. The cheaper one now taller than the expensive one at 8 feet high. The trunk grew slow but the fronds are big and fast. The frond catch a lot of wind at greater than 25MPH hour. I have to tie down the trunk so it won't be bending against the root. Its seem like hurting the plants and I build wind break and shelter for them. 

I don't how long I need to shelter them from the wind, that is a issue in my case.

I saw a Bismarckia in Yuma nursery last year sell for $99 at 10 gallon size. Just that one time. From time to time, I see Home Deport has $125 for the smaller one too.

• Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

I don’t know how much they are at Home Depot but they are guaranteed there.

Just happen to be at my local AZ HD right now... 15 gallon Bismarckia trees are $249 and 25 gallon trees are $399.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20211105_143041214_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211105_143123517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211105_143104457_HDR.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

27 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Just happen to be at my local AZ HD right now... 15 gallon Bismarckia trees are $249 and 25 gallon trees are $399.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20211105_143041214_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211105_143123517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211105_143104457_HDR.jpg

The HD suppliers in Arizona are a bit more pricey. In Texas 15 gallon are usually $99 or $109. A grocery store(HEB) had their 20 gallon marked down from $200 to $20 last weekend at a location between Austin and San Antonio. I was contacted by a palmtalk member about them, I didn’t make it out there though.

9EEDC789-84BC-4FB5-BD80-009CC5EC1A72.jpeg

Scott and Rod are typically the first place I'd go for palms and if they didn't have anything you could drive over to AZ Plant Stand (central Phoenix).  They sell to the public and last time I was there they had 15 gallons Bismarcks for $100, otherwise Treeland Nursery or try reaching out to TexasColdHardyPalms he might have something.  

Edited by Garcia3
Spelling and Phrasing

16 hours ago, Garcia3 said:

Scott and Rod are typically the first place I'd go for palms and if they didn't have anything you could drive over to AZ Plant Stand (central Phoenix).  They sell to the public and last time I was there they had 15 gallons Bismarcks for $100, otherwise Treeland Nursery or try reaching out to TexasColdHardyPalms he might have something.  

Thanks for tip "Plant Stand sell to public", that will be my next stop when travel to Phoenix. Currently, sound like Home Deport mark up 100%, from $100 to $200 sell in the retail store. The HD price had gone up about $100 when I brought mind in 2019. Attached HD price in 2019.

IMG_20190220_112746.jpg

• Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A

Hello everyone since we are on the topic of Bismarcks, I was able to score all 3 of these for just $150. Guy in Tucson was getting rid of them and didn't want them. So I snagged em up. Only problem now, is where to put these lol

20211106_142010.jpg

20211106_142028.jpg

20211106_142032.jpg

20211106_142039.jpg

• Like 2

That was a steal!!!:lol2: Put one up for sale on CL for $150 and the other 2 were free.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

New planting opportunity where troubled queen used to live. After managing frizzle, the compromised state of that palm was no match for last summer's heat.

Mule palms sound like a no-brainer but leary of the x / Syagrus side of the family. I have heard of Butia x Archontopheonix Alexandae.

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

I think mules are a great choice they have no problem with a normal summer summer 2020 was a little hard on them but they recovered fine!

3F68EEC8-15AD-43F1-8E20-BD0D01A59549.jpeg

• Like 3

Mule palms absolutely are THE recommend replacement palm for the tens of thousands of queens that died in the extreme summer heat of 2020. No worries on planting one. Just finding one,might be the real issue with these...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

I’ve never heard of the Butia x Archontophoenix alexandae sounds interesting! I also didn’t know mules were hard to find I know Whitfill has some nice large ones with probably 6-8’ of trunk and probably cost a bundle. If you want some small ones and can’t find any I have some I might sell.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, 96720 said:

I think mules are a great choice they have no problem with a normal summer summer 2020 was a little hard on them but they recovered fine!

3F68EEC8-15AD-43F1-8E20-BD0D01A59549.jpeg

Those look great! How old are they and are they fast growers? I saw the ones at Whitfill in the big boxes and to tell you the truth they look a bit ratty, along with being stupid expensive.

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

On 11/6/2021 at 8:42 AM, 96720 said:

I’m going to plant a majesty palm was wondering how much sun they will take and still look good?

Don’t waste your time on a Majesty in Arizona. It will die for sure and not worth even trying. 

Never say never... Here is my majesty growing between two houses with no special care. It's been planted there at least 6 or 7 years. Started out as a 2 gallon HD special,and is over 8ft tall now.:lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20211107_151717694_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

I’m not the person that keeps track of when I planted palms, some are really fast and some are slower. I imagine the ones at Whitfill were shipped in from Florida and they haven’t been here that long maybe in the middle of the summer so they come from a ideal place to grow palms and shipped to hell what do you think they would look like, it will take them a while to adjust!!

• Like 1

Probably less than that. It's planted between 2 houses that may only be 20 feet apart,so only receives a couple hours of direct overhead sun. Protecting it from our direct afternoon summer sun should be a priority. Not saying mine will last forever as you can see the burn it gets over the summer. The taller it gets,the less shading from the houses it gets.I think it will probably last another 3 or 4 years before it gets more sun than it can take.

I just lost an Archontophoenix alexandre that had been growing for the last 15 years in a similar situation. Once it got taller than the house,it got too much summer sun and finally gave up.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Yes.:lol2: Just some left over seedlings that need to be moved. Things grow like weeds here. Good eye!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

On 11/5/2021 at 5:18 PM, aztropic said:

Location, location, location...:lol2::greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Definitely. I guess I was just surprised it wasn’t the other way around and cheaper out there. Bismarckia are potentially an annual in Austin, but still randomly offered. You might get a few years out of one in a good stretch. They’ll last a long time in Houston, or along the coast.

15 hours ago, 96720 said:

I’m not the person that keeps track of when I planted palms, some are really fast and some are slower. I imagine the ones at Whitfill were shipped in from Florida and they haven’t been here that long maybe in the middle of the summer so they come from a ideal place to grow palms and shipped to hell what do you think they would look like, it will take them a while to adjust!!

I'd be pretty pissed off also being ripped out of a tropical zone and dropped in Chandler 2020.

• Like 1

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

I just need to relocate to Kuai and I can make my ultimate jungle with a lot fewer restrictions-C'mon crypto! Until then it's all about the microclimate protection like these guys outside my office window - the AZ Tropic planting method  :shaka-2:

IMG_5209.jpg

• Like 2

Randy

Chandler, Arizona