IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thrinax morissii

Jimbean

Does anyone have one of these that have experienced freezing temperatures?  I am thinking about planting some in N. Brevard.

Brevard County, Fl

(Jimbean @ Jan. 28 2007,17:33)

Does anyone have one of these that have experienced freezing temperatures?  I am thinking about planting some in N. Brevard.

The CRDB had observations of this palm surviving 22F.  Another died at that temp.

Go ahead and plant it.  Protect if you have to (may not need to).  Morrissii is well worth it.

Why we don't see these gorgeous FL natives planted more often is bewildering.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

you know what, I did not think I had it, but as it just so happens, I printed out the CRDB observations before that site went down!  So I have quite a bit of data intact!

Okay, let's see, Thrinax Morissii

19 with major damage

20 "survived"

22  dead

Now with the rest of the data, I think it was that people were taking the data too early, but here it is:

23 with minor damage

22 with no damage

and of course 32 with no damage

Brevard County, Fl

Jim,

They can take mid 20's with only moderate damage.  Their more northern growing cousins T. radiata, are more cold tender.  Go figure.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 years later...

I have two here in Jacksonville. One was in a pot under the eaves, the other in the ground. The one in the ground was unscathed by 4 nights in the mid 20's. The one in the pot looked good until it got warm and the two youngest fronds turned brown. The cold air rolls off the roof just like water and I think it was exposed to a frosty "waterfall". Anyway, the one in the ground never showed damage and is growing well this spring. We planted the other one in the ground too. The coldest temps here in Mandarin were between 22 and 25 but I don't really know how cold it was where the Leucothrinax morrissii are planted. It was cold enough to completely defoliate a nice Arcontophoenix alexandrae in the same bed (which I subsequently removed because it looked so bad in a highly prominent landscape site).

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 1 year later...

One 3-5-gallon sized plant on east side of house protected with a plastic bucket and leaves exhibited minor damage from a low of 16F with several additonal night-time lows of upper 20's to lower 30's.

post-201-12756759520463_thumb.jpg

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 7 years later...

Same palm reported above in 2010 is still creeping along. Palm is only slightly larger than in the picture above. This palm seems root hardy to 9a. It does experience some damage most years but returns with the heat of summer. This year I threw a 5-gallon bucket of the plant during our December cold snap. The 5 gallon sized plant is on east side of house under a canopy of butia and Araucaria angultifolia. So far, no damage is showing from the approximately 24 hrs below freezing with an ultimate low of 20F. 

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.