IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Uncovered in Wisconsin

wxman

Wow those are beautiful. How big were they when you planted them? Also what protection method did you use, does not look like they suffered any damage over the winter. My name is Robert and I'm new to this. Just planted 3 trachys similar size in the bronx NY. I'm going to need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Wxman, great color and form on those! Trachy right? What kind?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Great! You might want to show some pics of your winter protection technique-this should help inspire us who live in much more favorable climates ;)

Wxman, good to see you posting again.....your climate has got to be the most harsh of anyone else on Palmtalk. You are an extremist.....lol.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Those Trachy's look better than any i have seen here in Tasmania !

Have you tried Chamearops cerifera ?

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

No way these palms made it through a Wisconsin winter unprotected. :floor:

Looks to me that either they were freshly transplanted or something...

We don't really want to mislead other palm growers?

I'd hate to think hundreds of z4's running out to buy palms only to frozen on an average winter day.

Jeff

Ready for another growing season! ;)

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I'd hate to think hundreds of z4's running out to buy palms only to frozen on an average winter day.

Jeff

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

Jeff

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

Jeff, he builds temporary greenhouse's over each of them, with heaters to get them through winter. I believe he has another thread on the progress. Well done Wxman!

To answer some of your questions. I planted the big one as a 3 gallon plant in July of 2008. I planted the smaller one as a 15 gallon in July 2010 (yes the big one was originally the smaller one! Shows you that maybe by planting smaller palms you get quicker establishment). Each winter (around December 1st) I cover them in a box that consists of a 2x2 lumber frame, a plastic covering on the inside and outside of the box and then foam insulation outside of that. The south side is left mostly just with plastic to allow sunlight to enter. I put a small electric heater in each box and set it to 35-40 degrees. Around March 1st (or this darn year March 25th because of the persistent cold weather), I remove the boxes and they enjoy 9 months of fun in the sun. Early April I apply epsom salts to each. I then fertilize with Carl Pool palm fertilizer around Mid May and Early July. To supplement that, I periodically give them liquid shots of miracle gro throughout the growing season. My biggest one put on 2 feet of trunk last summer.

Here are some pictures of the protection coming down.

IMG_4811_zps6fedabd9.jpg

IMG_4813_zps7572a71a.jpg

IMG_4818_zpsf933664a.jpg

I grow other stuff too. My yard looks like this from the street in the summer. ;)

733e08b8.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Zone: 5b

January: 25F/9F

July: 83F/64F

Now, in Wisconsin, that is a true tropical oasis. Congratulations.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow, thanks for the response. Love your protection method! I'm guessing the windows are to allow for moisture release & temperature control. Definitely going to incorporate some of your methods on my trachys. Have a great growing season, Robert

I am impressed. If I lived in Wisconsin... I would be tempted to do the same!

How much extra do you think your electric bill is to keep them heated?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Wow! They look great. I can't even grow one here in Tampa in the ground long term. I have had one in a pot for a few years now. I should ship it up north.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work! So cool to see the snow and palm mix. Your bananas look great too.

I lived in Iowa for several years, Zone 5, and was growing lots of banana plants. I understand the hard work it is to protect, dig out, store, and monitor is.

• 1 month later...

Wxman, hadn't checked out your thread in a while and was blown away by the more recent photos of your wintering set up. You are quite the dedicated palm man in Wisconsin. Thanks for describing your wintering routine. I'd love to grow southern Calif palms here where I'm at but don't have the dedication to take all the protection measures it would require. Your palms and yard look fantastic.

I love the photo with your daughter BTW. She's really beaming standing next to dad's palm. Is she a palm girl? You must be the talk of the city come spring when all that tropical growth comes out. The musa look wonderful as well. So have you ever been featured in your local newspaper or by your TV station? Can't imagine many having a yard like yours.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

• 4 weeks later...

Your front yard looks like it could easily be somewhere like South Carolina with all of those tropical-esque plants

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 2 weeks later...

can't wait to build a box like that around one of my coconuts!

I tried coconuts in Jacksonville . Even with protection the died. at 25 .without heat...... good by

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind