wxman

Uncovered in Wisconsin

wxman

Ready for another growing season! ;)

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

bronxboynyc71

Wow those are beautiful. How big were they when you planted them? Also what protection method did you use, does not look like they suffered any damage over the winter. My name is Robert and I'm new to this. Just planted 3 trachys similar size in the bronx NY. I'm going to need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance!

Rafael

Looking perfect :)

Hammer

Wow!!! More pics more pics!!!!

Would love to see how you protect them in winter. Whay zone are you in?

WestCoastGal

Wxman, great color and form on those! Trachy right? What kind?

DavidMac

Great! You might want to show some pics of your winter protection technique-this should help inspire us who live in much more favorable climates ;)

Alicehunter2000

Wxman, good to see you posting again.....your climate has got to be the most harsh of anyone else on Palmtalk. You are an extremist.....lol.

Tassie_Troy1971

Those Trachy's look better than any i have seen here in Tasmania !

Have you tried Chamearops cerifera ?

Troy

JEFF IN MODESTO

No way these palms made it through a Wisconsin winter unprotected. :floor:

Looks to me that either they were freshly transplanted or something...

We don't really want to mislead other palm growers?

I'd hate to think hundreds of z4's running out to buy palms only to frozen on an average winter day.

Jeff

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

Vari805

I'd hate to think hundreds of z4's running out to buy palms only to frozen on an average winter day.

Jeff

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

Jeff

IMG_4821_zpsa4c9b6a3.jpg

Jeff, he builds temporary greenhouse's over each of them, with heaters to get them through winter. I believe he has another thread on the progress. Well done Wxman!

wxman

To answer some of your questions. I planted the big one as a 3 gallon plant in July of 2008. I planted the smaller one as a 15 gallon in July 2010 (yes the big one was originally the smaller one! Shows you that maybe by planting smaller palms you get quicker establishment). Each winter (around December 1st) I cover them in a box that consists of a 2x2 lumber frame, a plastic covering on the inside and outside of the box and then foam insulation outside of that. The south side is left mostly just with plastic to allow sunlight to enter. I put a small electric heater in each box and set it to 35-40 degrees. Around March 1st (or this darn year March 25th because of the persistent cold weather), I remove the boxes and they enjoy 9 months of fun in the sun. Early April I apply epsom salts to each. I then fertilize with Carl Pool palm fertilizer around Mid May and Early July. To supplement that, I periodically give them liquid shots of miracle gro throughout the growing season. My biggest one put on 2 feet of trunk last summer.

Here are some pictures of the protection coming down.

IMG_4811_zps6fedabd9.jpg

IMG_4813_zps7572a71a.jpg

IMG_4818_zpsf933664a.jpg

I grow other stuff too. My yard looks like this from the street in the summer. ;)

733e08b8.jpg

• Upvote 1

_Keith

Now, in Wisconsin, that is a true tropical oasis. Congratulations.

bronxboynyc71

Wow, thanks for the response. Love your protection method! I'm guessing the windows are to allow for moisture release & temperature control. Definitely going to incorporate some of your methods on my trachys. Have a great growing season, Robert

JEFF IN MODESTO

I am impressed. If I lived in Wisconsin... I would be tempted to do the same!

How much extra do you think your electric bill is to keep them heated?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Tampa Scott

Wow! They look great. I can't even grow one here in Tampa in the ground long term. I have had one in a pot for a few years now. I should ship it up north.

IHB1979

Fantastic work! So cool to see the snow and palm mix. Your bananas look great too.

I lived in Iowa for several years, Zone 5, and was growing lots of banana plants. I understand the hard work it is to protect, dig out, store, and monitor is.

bobchamnan

Wow, I do admire your effort.

WestCoastGal

Wxman, hadn't checked out your thread in a while and was blown away by the more recent photos of your wintering set up. You are quite the dedicated palm man in Wisconsin. Thanks for describing your wintering routine. I'd love to grow southern Calif palms here where I'm at but don't have the dedication to take all the protection measures it would require. Your palms and yard look fantastic.

I love the photo with your daughter BTW. She's really beaming standing next to dad's palm. Is she a palm girl? You must be the talk of the city come spring when all that tropical growth comes out. The musa look wonderful as well. So have you ever been featured in your local newspaper or by your TV station? Can't imagine many having a yard like yours.

Zeeth

Your front yard looks like it could easily be somewhere like South Carolina with all of those tropical-esque plants

Tropicdoc

can't wait to build a box like that around one of my coconuts!

Steve the palmreader

can't wait to build a box like that around one of my coconuts!

I tried coconuts in Jacksonville . Even with protection the died. at 25 .without heat...... good by

Tropicdoc

Thanks Steve. I figured no lower than 50 for the cocos wxman heats those boxes, doesn't he?