IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what are the rarest species u have?

bobchamnan

I have here arround a 100 Trachycarpus takil seedlings. Well they are not that rare anymore I guess. Gardenpalms in Holland grows them by the thousends from Kalamuni seeds.

Alexander

Some Dypsis or other nice silver red slim crown shafts, clumping. Not sure to plant in the shade or sun we are very humid?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 3 months later...

Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Sabal palmetto Lisa, Sabal minor Blountstown Dwarf, Areca catechu Dwarf. Ravenea xerophila

Do you know anywhere outside of FL that I might be able to fine a H. Ekmaniana in either seed or plant form? I live in CA.

Rare species in Sri Lanka means a species which the small gardeners and nurseries almost never grow.

We don't have big and professional nurseries here!

Most of the plant nursery owners don't know the names and even are not so interested about palms (everybody has enough coconut trees!).

Besides the seedlings we get from seeds we collected in gardens (in and out of the country) we have been lucky to find a Sommieria leucophylla in a remote village-nursery:

We planted it last august:

post-6735-0-60440200-1382785218_thumb.jppost-6735-0-93342300-1382785243_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

If we're counting hybrids here, I would say my Syagrus X Butia-Jubaea or Queen Bu Ju.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Rare species in Sri Lanka means a species which the small gardeners and nurseries almost never grow.

We don't have big and professional nurseries here!

Most of the plant nursery owners don't know the names and even are not so interested about palms (everybody has enough coconut trees!).

Besides the seedlings we get from seeds we collected in gardens (in and out of the country) we have been lucky to find a Sommieria leucophylla in a remote village-nursery:

We planted it last august:

attachicon.gifP1010716 copie.JPGattachicon.gifP1010718 copie.JPG

What a great palm. Yours must be years old too! I germinated 2 out of 10 seeds and they grew to the 2 leaf stage. I should have just stuck at least one in the ground, but I babied them in pots in my greenhouse another year and watched them both slowly die. So back they go to my wish list.

Cindy Adair

you have turned me into one.

L. mapu

L. beccarianna

Licuala beccariana

Licuala platydactyla

Licuala sallahana

Licuala sp. Romber

Can you tell I'm Licuala "groupie" ? :)

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

In ground dypsis pervelii, basselinia eriostachys, mad fox, cyphosperma naboutinense, P.munroi, bentinkia condapana, pinanga wataniana and chambeyronia lepidota still in a pot. Oh ya and my prized washingtonia palm :floor:

Licuala sp. pre pak pak, Licuala orbicularis, Licuala sallehana, Licuala cabalionii and Licuala sp. togu budo all doing well.

you have turned me into one.

L. mapu

L. beccarianna

Licuala beccariana

Licuala platydactyla

Licuala sallahana

Licuala sp. Romber

Can you tell I'm Licuala "groupie" ? :)

Great to hear! :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I really like licualas too, but there aren't many that will work in Socal.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

The rarest in my yard is Washingtonia filifera! How exciting.

Obvsiously....not exactly "rare" in the true sense, but for these parts it is not seen very often.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Licuala sp. pre pak pak, Licuala orbicularis, Licuala sallehana, Licuala cabalionii and Licuala sp. togu budo all doing well.

Also forgot to include my Licuala pumila--The REAL ELEGANS is in the ground and doing well :)

Brahea moorei, Trachycarpus princeps and Pritchardia munroii and a coronata x picrophylla is about it, plus some rare ceroxylon and mid elevation chamberyonia Lepidota. Then butia x cocoides and jubaea x syagrus but these are not rare, just really expensive.

2 of my favorites here in the windy, dry area of the inland north San Fernando Valley. Livistona Alfredii (planted a la BS Man style) and a Brahea Moorei that produced non viable seed for the first time this year.

post-1893-0-20457700-1383245697_thumb.jp

post-1893-0-37228600-1383245721_thumb.jp

I like the brahea moorei nice color and form almost cocothrinaxesk :greenthumb:

This palm was planted as a big 5 gal in 2010. It's FAST throwing a leaf almost monthly. It's currently holding more than 20 leaves.

post-1893-0-52014300-1383689211_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Probably a toss up between my semi undivided Calyptrocalyx sp. Kainlas and Sommieria leucophylla which wins for the slowest palm too. Just starting to develop the coppery underside. If my variegated borhidiana was still around I'd throw that on the list too. :winkie:

Two of my favorites even though I still don't have a Sommieria. They are not easy to come by. Where did you get yours?

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

I've just got this "Pinanga Ranongensis", which was the name given to me by the seller. Anyone know about this plant?

Just that it is gorgeous and I wish I had one!

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Glad to see there are Licuala freeks on here. I'll be posting pictures of some of ours in the hopes that someone will be able to identify them. I find them very hard to do and many of ours are without tags.

Lee

Lee

I am glad to see that there are some palm lovers here. I be posting some of our 'sp' soon in the hope that some of you will be able to identify them for me. Lee

• Upvote 1

Lee