IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Price Check... Licuala Ramsayi

Gary -

G'day, i found a Licuala Ramsayi for sale at a local hardware store and was considering buying it.

Price is $125 for a plant growing in a 45 litre bag, about two foot of trunk, a bit bigger than as pictured.

Is this a good price?

It seems like a good price, but i have not seen one for sale before so i really don't know.

Cheers, Gary.

Licuala+ramsayi.jpg

The nursery I normally go to here has some I'm sure are close to that size but a lot cheaper. I'd have to go and check again. Normally my eyes become a bit blury with price tags over $25 and I don't see anything.

Gary, thats a going rate down here, sure they are much cheaper in the Far Nth and in Zigs Nth Territory but they grow so fast up there they can pump em out..Buy it , and remember if you bought that for $ 40 in Nth Qld it would cost a lot to freight down, so much it would end up dearer..Buy it and Plant it. Pete :)

Gary, thats a going rate down here, sure they are much cheaper in the Far Nth and in Zigs Nth Territory but they grow so fast up there they can pump em out..Buy it , and remember if you bought that for $ 40 in Nth Qld it would cost a lot to freight down, so much it would end up dearer..Buy it and Plant it. Pete :)

FAST! Best news i've heard all day.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Most likely grown in Babinda , Daishy told me he has been shipping a lot of stuff down south .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I bought a few a couple of weeks back, 200 mm pots for $10 each. But prices increase rapidly with size.

It would be worth checking out the price at Thornlands Park Nursery (288 Boundary Road, Thornlands). I think they had some around that size, and their prices on the bigger stuff are usually very good.

Thanks for the help guys. Eric i will check out Thornlands Park Nursury today. I drive past it everyday,but have never stopped in. Cheers.

Bunnings in Gladstone has had similar sized plants for about $36 each.....not sure if they currently have any though............also presently has some 400mm pot sized (6ft high) Sealing Wax for $100 each which is an absolute bargain !!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Oh my - its looks delicious like the "Chocolate Thunder from Down Under"! :drool:

How are Aussie $'s valued relative to US $'s? :interesting:

Da Moose B)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Oh my - its looks delicious like the "Chocolate Thunder from Down Under"! :drool:

How are Aussie $'s valued relative to US $'s? :interesting:

Da Moose B)

Aussie dollar is currently strong..... worth about 104 U.S cents.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Thornlands nursery is still open, i went yesterday for the first time. They have quite a lot of plants including Ramsayi of various sizes and prices.

As it turned out i stopped at a place just near Thornlands nursery and found a few Ramsayi for $38 and bought one. I will post a pic soon.

Was that the place on the corner next to the roundabout, or King Country? I'm curious now :)

It wasn't from either of those places Eric... the place i went to have quite a few rare cycads and palms, great prices too... In the last couple of weeks i have got a big Dioon Mejai, Encephalartos Ferox, Ceratozamia Robusta and Kuesterian, A big Zamia Neurophyilida, Polyandrococos Caudescens, Ramsayi, and a few others.

I got them from the place that sells sheds on Boundry Rd, just before the roundabout going to Redland Bay Rd. The plants are mostly out the back and in a shade house. Tony owns the plants, but is not always there i have found.

Yow

What? You didnt buy?

OY

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This one was $38.

Bunnings can keep there $125 plant.

Not to sure where to put this yet. Not sure how much sun it will take. But it is busting out of its pot...

post-6684-0-44273700-1364371334_thumb.jp

post-6684-0-82396900-1364371367_thumb.jp

post-6684-0-81039600-1364371401_thumb.jp

post-6684-0-56071100-1364371434_thumb.jp

Edited by Gary -

Ah, I have not been to that place in about 5 years, despite driving past it twice a day, I must stop by again!

• 2 weeks later...

I got them from the place that sells sheds on Boundry Rd, just before the roundabout going to Redland Bay Rd. The plants are mostly out the back and in a shade house. Tony owns the plants, but is not always there i have found.

I finally made it in there on Monday. They did have a fairly good selection, and I scored what I am fairly certain is a foxy lady for a good price. It was hanging out in the middle of 30 or 40 other Wodyetias of the same age, standing out and making the differences obvious. There were at least 3 or 4 others there as well, so I will have to go back when I have some more cash in hand.

G'day Gary and others.

That's about the going retail rate for such a size at Bunnings (even up here). As folks have pointed out, you can get them plenty cheaper elsewhere though (maybe not so down that way?).

Indeed, Mr Daishy sells these are the local plant sales for around $30 I think (bought one for my father in law a few years ago).

Hey Gary - I just noticed your pictures and plant spacings for those cycads (the D. mejiae & E. ferox)... you do realise the size they will be in a few years (they will be overlapping and access along those pavers will be an issue)? Both those species will have leaves 2 metres long each and that Ferox looks like it could be a real problem! Just saying*

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

I finally made it in there on Monday. They did have a fairly good selection, and I scored what I am fairly certain is a foxy lady for a good price. It was hanging out in the middle of 30 or 40 other Wodyetias of the same age, standing out and making the differences obvious. There were at least 3 or 4 others there as well, so I will have to go back when I have some more cash in hand.

I can't get down there otherwise I'd be there in a shot for a foxy lady palm Eric. If you get more than you need I'll buy one off you. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

He has a lot of plants crammed into a small area doesn't he Eric? How much for the foxy?

G'day Gary and others.

That's about the going retail rate for such a size at Bunnings (even up here). As folks have pointed out, you can get them plenty cheaper elsewhere though (maybe not so down that way?).

Indeed, Mr Daishy sells these are the local plant sales for around $30 I think (bought one for my father in law a few years ago).

Hey Gary - I just noticed your pictures and plant spacings for those cycads (the D. mejiae & E. ferox)... you do realise the size they will be in a few years (they will be overlapping and access along those pavers will be an issue)? Both those species will have leaves 2 metres long each and that Ferox looks like it could be a real problem! Just saying*

Thanks Kurt. Good eye spotting the other plants in the background. They are too close to each other and too close to the edge of the path, and this is just outside the front entry to the house. But i want the garden to look "full" as these plants get big. Also i am a bit crazy. Cheers, Gary.