IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where is the rain this Spring?

Tampa Scott

So far it has been a very dry spring here. A little on the cool side today but it looks as a brief day in the 80s before we head back down to cooler temps next week. There is also a chance of rain this Sunday.

Scott,

I wouldn't hold your breath for the rain Sunday. If the last few rain events are any indication, we're in for a non-event. Next week does look cold though.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

lucky you are! :winkie:

Too much rain here in Europe...

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

The hot Dry Season hasn't gotten underway yet. Those couple of months are always brutal.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Heavy rain here now with the first spring thunderstorm.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Easily 2" of rain here tonight. Was this in the forecast?

Easily 2" of rain here tonight. Was this in the forecast?

We were looking at a 20% chance of rain Ray. I recorded 1.61" here.

Doggone it...missed most of it once again. It rained last night, a few times heavily but briefly. Total is .35" but it is better than nothing. Hopefully Sunday's front will bring more. However, that is three rains in a week, although totals are just over an inch, barely, is better than nada. Send in more rains! :rant:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Got good rain last night. Fog this morning so everything stayed night and damp until about noon. :wub:

Might be a passing shower tomorrow :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

With me today cold and rain...Today 8 degrees celsius....But the cessation of rainfall Thursday and warmer....Finally....

Other than a few drops, all the rains just to my north incl severe wx...I mean, barely wet the ground a few times and that was it. Windy as all getup out to blow everything over. Time to get the hose out! Again. :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It has been a cold but no frost dry winter here in northern CA. I'm in Sunset zone 16 on a favoured hillslope. It has been constantly cool and very little rain since before Christmas. But no evaporation either.

Brian Bruning

So a deluge with a 20% rain chance and zero rain on a 60% rain chance day.

A major severe storm passed through the Orlando area Sunday. We got over an inch of rain and hail and 80mph winds. There were tornado warnings but didn't hear of any around here. Came into work today and it is a mess here at Leu Gardens. Tree branches, limbs,leaves,spanish moss and palm fronds down everywhere. A few big limbs split off trees and a mature clump of Strelitzia nicolai wassplit, half blew over. At least there was a nice soaking rain.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Weather forecasting is a game of chance. If it makes you feel better Ray... I also received no rain after the Friday 20% deluge.

Missed it all this past Sunday. Total rainfall .01! Dark skies and lots of warm winds, but no rain. Just 10 miles north of me was over an inch with hail. Could'a used the rainfall. Today is COLD - mid 50's and blustery - just to dry everything out even more. I want spring!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose to rain today, got a very little bit last night. We need it here in a really really deep soak'em good kind of way. C'mon, please! :badday: Rain till it turns that frown upside down. heehee.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Well it is making up for the minimal rain so far this year. 2.06" so far this morning according the the weather station 1 mile away. Weird as we got very little last week when it rained, now its a river... Its nice to get that rain after several days in the mid 80s with low humidity... But as usual in florida its feast or famine and 2" and counting is way more than needed at any one time... More rain today in 5 hours than in all 2013 before today.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Parts of the Bay area received some much needed rain today. For me it did not happen.

just to show how whacko rain accumulations can be in florida: I got these off Wunderground

clearwater 0.39"

tampa 0.62"

sarasota 1.73"

palmetto(coachhouse, near I75) 2.29"(1 mi from my place)

cortez(west of bradenton at inland waterway) 4.66" !!

cape coral 0.19"

Tom Blank

0.8" on the Isabelle Canal. More later tonight?

Meg

Florida

Got some rain at .60" today but none fell very heavily, just a steadier rain. Tonight a line is forming way out in the Gulf, so hope is there. Then, warmer weather by Sunday into next week. Yes, spring! :drool:

Got some nice steady rain on the 5th. My mulch is still damp today. :wub:

WoooHoooo! Got a huge deep soaking rain last night. It's been looking like a dried up cupcake around here, so this wonderful rain was really needed and much appreciated. I don't know how much but my non-scientifical rain-gage registered 4 and a half inches. All my rain barrels are brimming. :wub:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Got 1/2" overnight

Meg

Florida

Got some serious rain late yesterday. My rainwater tank was completely dry in the morning and ended up about full by night. Melbourne obliterated its old record of 0.95" set in 1985 with 3.88".

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

It got stuck in Louisiana on the way to you. At this point, I will be happy to see it go for a little while.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Got a teaser shower overnight for a whopping .07"...hose out again. It is so dry and all the rain misses me and goes inland. I know its the dry season, but when there is rainfall in Florida, it is frustrating to see it hit everyone else. Oh well, maybe this weekend OR will it miss me once again! :rant:

Forgetaboutit! It's April (second driest month of the year) and not supposed to rain. I'm just glad it wasn't 92F today. It's waaaayyyy to early for that. Last week was one of the hottest April week's in a long while.

The Crape Myrtles were bare until last week. I can't remember them being bare this late in the season ever before.

Got some good rain yesterday late evening. All the mulch was still wet this morning. Started fertilizing this morning - 60% chance of rain forecasted for this afternoon! :greenthumb:

Really good storm doused my house! About an inch, thunder, lightning, good rain for APRIL and I missed so much this year. This will help the yard. More rain chances later although I doubt that heavy. Nice week ahead, too. Good palm growing weather. :yay:

A heavy storm passed through the College Park area of Orlando yesterday. almost 3" of rain at my house. There was also almost an inch on Friday.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

OK, we've had enough rain for now :indifferent: Need to save some for next week.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I am still waiting for rain. But it is April and I do not expect it. In about 6-8 weeks I will have more rain than I will need.

At least .000000003" of rain here during the much overhyped weekend rain event. April is behaving like April.

Ive logged a grand total of 6.31" of rain so far in 2013......

As for last weekend's rain.......Friday 0.02", Saturday was a real soaker at 0.10", and Sunday 0.02". Just enough to wet leaves and thats it.........

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Got 0.21" yesterday in the early AM, but only 4.6" for the year so far.

Tom Blank

Daytona Beach obliterated its old record of 0.75" (1972) with 1.30" yesterday. It's been raining nonstop.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes