IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AAA - keep this up a while

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I've found the information in this particular series of threads useful.

I suggest we keep it up for, say, six months so we can report on recovery of frozen plants?  That's useful, too.

How about it Dean?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

My thoughts on this "project" are as follows:

As mentioned, there are several references already in existence regarding cold hardiness. Geoff's is excellent, and he has been kind enough to contribute here as well. Someone mentioned that Larry Noblick had/has one too. And a few others.

This is after all a forum, a continuum of thoughts and experiences. It is what we do best. I am all for just letting it continue as is. It is not perfect, but it contains a lot of valuable real time info that a data base can never capture. If someone wants hardiness info on a species, it is here.

However, a data base is also a necessary tool. But aside from being a tremendous amount of work, I think it would be better suited to what will become the research area of the new IPS sebsite. I will lobby, and perhaps you all can as well, to establish such a data base on the new website. Maybe Geoff and Larry, or some volunteers from here, could integrate all this new info with the existing. I think it could be a valuable asset for the IPS.

In the meantime, I'm all for letting our format continue and evolve.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

• 3 months later...

Hi Deano or anyone else, was a summary ever done, you know, listing the best survivors versus the worst ? Top ten style could be interesting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have a rather extensive amount of info to add, but I'm still finding new damage after 5 months (eg starting to pull spears on some Phoenix palms)...I'll start putting in some stuff this week, hopefully.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Yep- I'm still all over the map.  I'm still pulling spears on palms I thought had made it and seeing life in a few I thought were gone! (or close too)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I am newly registered to this forum but many years in No. SD County, CA.  In36+ years have not experienced such a prolonged period of below freezing temperatures (both hours/day and days total) as the Jan, 2007 event.

Pretty hit or miss on damage and/or losses.......small Bismarckia nobilis (20" box) in a low spot = dead/total loss.   Large Veitchia McDanielsii (~20ft) planted higher elevation close to building, minor leaf burn but thriving...along with some plumerias.

1 gal Bismarckia (under cover) doing fine.

Red gingers, Indonesian Wax Gingers  under cover but no heat = dead.

Alexander palms (23 year olds in ground) are fine.

I know microclimates were very important since the damage occurred in zonal formations with cold air drainage zones the worst.

I hate to say it but now is the time some palms will be dying that didnt die strait away ,looks like I'm loosing my Burretiokentia koghiensis ,its mature and flowering 4 feet of trunk ,the last leaf that opened died in a month after opening ,the new spear is only out a foot  and opening and the crown is getting soft.Dypsis lasteliana (just forming trunk ) is doing the same.

MAJOR bummer Bob! :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry about those two MB. I take it your Burretiokentia hapala and Dypsis leptocheilos are still okay? It's a good thing having hardier types as well.

I just "popped" the crownshaft off my A. alexandra with a simple twist of the wrist. No spear movement since February. It had 3ft of trunk.

My 3 Kentias still can't produce a normal spear. Each leaf is brown-tipped and comes out partially open and rubbery.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Thanks Bs and OST the hapala is doing fine just put out a huge infloresence and the teddy is recovering.I just peeled off the sheath on the koghiensis and it looked more solid heres hoping.

Sorry, Bob. That's horrible.

The good news, if there is any, is that now you can plant something else if you want.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(madagascarbob @ Jul. 10 2007,18:34)

Or make a tiki !

Sure. Only after an acceptable period of mourning, of course.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

• 1 month later...

Any chance of update reports and pics ? Wins versus losses etc. This is when it is really helpful to us all, after 8 months have passed, all the verdicts should be handed down by now.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal...you're right. I have lots of winners and losers...just no time now with the mother of all remodels going on...soon, grasshopper...soon

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 7 months later...