IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CFPACS Spring Meet and Garden Tours - March 23rd

Lucinda

Earring Point on Orchid Island (Vero Beach) and Ron's Sanctuary on Goat Creek (Valkaria) will be open to Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society members and guests March 23rd

10:30 - noon - Lifetime member Anne Michael and her family will host the Society for the first time since 2001. Tour Guide: Jason Baker. The stunning waterfront Michael property features mature and unusual palms planted decades ago in the hope of inspiring others to include more interesting and rare palms in their own gardens. Address: 1 Earring Point, Vero Beach FL 32963.

Noon- 1 o'clock - Lunch on your own in the Sebastian area

1 o'clock - 3 o'clock - Ron Eward will lead tours of his carefully planned, densely planted garden and describe what/how species survived the bitter cold of 2010. Plant auction to follow. Rob Branch will talk about the spreading white fly plague and what palm fanciers can do to prevent/combat the scorge. Address: 3625 Lynn Street, Valkaria FL

See CFPACS's newly published Palmateer for more information.

cfpacs.net/palmateer

or PM Lucinda

The general public is welcome to see the gardens along with Society members. Hope to see many of you there for this inaugural 2013 meeting/tour.

Lucinda

CFPACS President

I'll have a couple of books for the "plant" auction.

Evolution and Ecology of Palms by Andrew Henderson, The New York Botanical Garden Press, 2002. Paperback. It is pretty technical, but Henderson (co-author of guides to palms of the Americas and southeast Asia) is a good writer.

Loulou: The Hawaiian Palm by Donald Hodel. University of Hawai'i Press, 2012. Hardback. Wonderful color photography and quite a lot on Hawaiian natural history and pest problems. There's a chapter on introduced palms in Hawaii, including a scary of photo of a whole swarm of Archontophoenix alexandrae (Alexandra palm, from Australia).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I may have to scrub the books--I've got a supersized runny nose and fever today, and may not be able to make it. If anyone cares to stop by my place to gather the goods, it would be appreciated.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 weeks later...