IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus 2013

Gtlevine

That's funny. Is it uglier than that "mongrel" butyagrus you have? :lol: I know you can take that jab because of all the other magnificent palms you have.

I never get offended when it comes to palms, no worries. The difference is my mongrel is unique and different, a conversation piece. The S x J had absolutely no redeeming qualities. It was uglier than an ugly syagrus.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

We all know that there are genetically inferior looking pure Jubaea and Syagrus. I know, I've seen many. I can also imagine that you'd need to see many Syagrus X Jubaea before forming a negative opinion of this hybrid's appearance.

Im sure your right Jim , definitely need a larger pool to form am opinion. But im just saying mine was ugly and so far that is the typical opinion. Hopefully we see some others mature and look better.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Where did those QXJ come from? I've only seen JXQ, that's the one I ended up getting. Still wondering if it's going to speed up, it's much slower than BxPC.

Nice palm! I too am curious if that will tolerate the hot and humid conditions that Jubaea won't.

Does anyone have one in the Southeast U.S.?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I have a JxS if that's what you're asking. It had trouble the first few years with winter moisture but now looks good. Doesn't grow nearly as fast as Gary's monster.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I have both. Both are fast growers. The sxj took a good hit at 20f...not sure if it will make it through winter.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

• 4 weeks later...

Can somebody post pics of the typical jxq or qxj? Because Gary's is evidently genetically gifted. I am going to spend some money on one and would like to see some more typical specimens.

I would also be interested in a source for these. I have not seen them anywhere.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I would love to see Gary's end of year update of the jxs.

And these are mine taken this week......the price of living in NC. :-(

CA_01011418531906-M.jpg

p.s. Patrick Schafer creates these beauties, but I don't know about availability. Search the forum for his name and info.

C from NC

Siler City, NC

btw, Here is my queen x jub , picture from this summer. I think he is too small to endure our winter.

DSC_6910-L.jpg

And Here is one of my jubs in its winter house.

CA_01011418510873-M.jpg

C from NC

Siler City, NC

Sorry, as you can see from my post count I am a forum newbie...how do I track down Patrick Schafer?

I can't see any search criteria that enable me to get in contact. Does he have a member alias?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ask Axel in Santa Cruz....he knows how to get in touch, I think.

Cindy, hope the palms come through the winter!!! I'm concerned about my big BXS, hit 14F two nights ago! It'll be interesting to see how it fairs!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 4 weeks later...

JV: Mine got pretty smoked early in January. I gave it a try fully exposed. Lost the spear and most of the leaves are brown now. We'll see if it recovers. I've been a little frustrated with this guy from the start because its speed has been unimpressive. In fact, I'd call it slow. It gets more shade than it needs, but still disappointing.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

JV: Mine got pretty smoked early in January. I gave it a try fully exposed. Lost the spear and most of the leaves are brown now. We'll see if it recovers. I've been a little frustrated with this guy from the start because its speed has been unimpressive. In fact, I'd call it slow. It gets more shade than it needs, but still disappointing.

Ouch. My Jubutia recovered from a spear pull after the 2010 freeze and has resumed it glacially slow growth rate.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Buffy, sorry to hear about the damage... I'm still hopefully for a having a miraculous hybrid on my hands! As I stated previously, my low in Jan was 14F, but it's also seen 10 additional nights in the 22F to 28F range plus an ice storm, with ice on the palm for a good 12 hours. So far the fronds show little damage and it even seems to be slowly pushing a new spear.

My JxBxJ, JxB and BxJ also have shown no damage.

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Here is a pic two weeks post the 14F temps....

post-362-0-07483000-1391477003_thumb.jpg

That's one good looking palm! Got any more pics?

Hi iamjv, is that JxS?

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I have a XJubutygarius which is a butia x jubaea x syagrus and it always looks great. It was planted out as a 15 gallon potted plant, but has never shown any deficiencies or problems at all. This was truly a great hybrid plant and the jubaea x syagrus should be just as wonderful. Butia genes seem to blend very well with anything else which makes me wonder where butia really came from on the developmental branch. Anyway you guys have some great looking palms.

Daniel

This is off topic but how do you actually get to move from just a seed to germinating or something else on here, it makes me feel like a little kid asking mom and dad if I can go see The Lost Boys in the theater. lol :) I know that it takes time and as most palm growers are in marginal climates, I am a patient man.

Here is a couple of other pics taken today.... on the close up shot you can see a bit of frond damage from either the 14F (now 4 weeks ago) or the subsequent ice storm 2 weeks later.

I bought this as a mule (BxS) and believe it is true to that hybrid. The hybrids I have with Jub in them, have shown zero damage from this winters events!

post-362-0-93649500-1391905068_thumb.jpg

post-362-0-90982500-1391905088_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple of other pics taken today.... on the close up shot you can see a bit of frond damage from either the 14F (now 4 weeks ago) or the subsequent ice storm 2 weeks later.

I bought this as a mule (BxS) and believe it is true to that hybrid. The hybrids I have with Jub in them, have shown zero damage from this winters events!

That's still not bad at all considering how cold you got. I love mules, they're nice looking and super hardy. Totally under-planted throughout the Country. Imagine if all those queen palms across the country got replaced with mules.

Here is a pic two weeks post the 14F temps....

post-362-0-07483000-1391477003_thumb.jpg

This is pretty much unrelated to the topic at hand, but man that is a beautiful Chamaerops. Nice form and even better color.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 1 month later...

Gary, can i be cheeky and ask for an updated photo?

You have a unique and very impressive palm there and i am sure i am not the only one very keen to see it a year on from the last pic.

The fact that it appears to be frost tolerant and grows quickly even in cool weather makes it a real winner

Many thanks.

Ill get an updated photo.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

You have a unique and very impressive palm there and i am sure i am not the only one very keen to see it a year on from the last pic.

The fact that it appears to be frost tolerant and grows quickly even in cool weather makes it a real winner

Many thanks.

Gary's climate is anything but cool, I would not extrapolate his success to growing this in England. You might also want to check the hardiness posts on it, some people in Texas and other 8b/9a climates have been disappointed. It's more heat tolerant than jubaea, but not necessarily as hardy.

Mine has started to grow really well now that it's established itself. It really hated when we had wet winters here in Florida, the summers didn't bother it.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Many thanks.

Gary's climate is anything but cool, I would not extrapolate his success to growing this in England. You might also want to check the hardiness posts on it, some people in Texas and other 8b/9a climates have been disappointed. It's more heat tolerant than jubaea, but not necessarily as hardy.

Yeah, i know Gary's climate is completely different from mine and i am certainly not expecting to see that sort of growth on mine - but i just wanna see what it looks like (and what mine may one day look like) when it gets a trunk and starts going upward.

Jubs are reliably hardy here, and our winters are not THAT cold (normal winter minimum of -5°C (23F), average low around 0°C (32F) in January) so i am hoping for something faster and more tropical looking than pure jubaea, but with maybe a bit of winter care required in the coldest winters.

Also interested in the growth speed in the cooler months as that would give me an indication of a promising plant for our climate.

I have seen the other posts about this hybrid performing disappointingly, but so far mine has shown some promise planted outside in our cool climate. Maybe there is a lot of variability with this one?

• 2 months later...

Bump

• 3 weeks later...

My jubaea x Syagrus after a year of growth in pot. I was a three leaves seedling... It is really fast...

post-5669-0-31481100-1401779472_thumb.jp

Nice! ..... guess this will be on my wish list. Pricey palm, but super cool to own one.