IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the best bark mulch for around palm trees?

Palm crazy

Just now, ExperimentalGrower said:

Ben, do you use decomposed chips or fresh chips that arborists just ground up at a day’s job?

Fresh chips yearly.  They go on top of the old mulch so really don't have contact with the soil.  Not concerned about them robbing nitrogen given that - you'd really need to work them in with a tiller for that to be an issue.  Anyway, like I said, growth has been explosive since I started doing this - whether due to water retention, soil quality, organics facilitating beneficial critters, or some combination thereof, I really don't know.  But, I'm sticking with it. 

And, like Derrick said, spreading 30 yards of mulch every spring over several weekends is damn good exercise!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Fresh chips yearly.  They go on top of the old mulch so really don't have contact with the soil.  Not concerned about them robbing nitrogen given that - you'd really need to work them in with a tiller for that to be an issue.  Anyway, like I said, growth has been explosive since I started doing this - whether due to water retention, soil quality, organics facilitating beneficial critters, or some combination thereof, I really don't know.  But, I'm sticking with it. 

And, like Derrick said, spreading 30 yards of mulch every spring over several weekends is damn good exercise!

Right on, that was my main question whether or not robbing the soil of N is a concern but putting them on top of old mulch makes perfect sense. Note taken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

https://getchipdrop.com/

This might be of interest to you guys. I'm going to do it soon. 

The disclaimer, lol: 

That’s pretty cool. Unfortunately I would only need a few yards max at a single time, and my wife might make me sleep on the wood chip pile if a truck dumped a load that size in our driveway, lololol.

Edited by ExperimentalGrower
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BayAndroid said:

https://getchipdrop.com/

This might be of interest to you guys. I'm going to do it soon. 

I was signed up for a while last year, nothing came and then I chickened out and took my name off the list. Does not seem like the tree companies in this area use the service very often, and I want to have at least a rough idea of when it would be coming.