IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's the best bark mulch for around palm trees?

Palm crazy

I'd like to put some bark mulch around my palms this spring, but I think I remember reading some time ago that some types of bark mulch is not good for palms because it creates a haven for a certain type of white fungus that can kill palms.... Is this true ?

Or would compost mulch be better?

Thanks.

Edited by Palm crazy

I'd like to put some bark mulch around my palms this spring, but I think I remember reading some time ago that some types of bark mulch is not good for palms because it creates a haven for a certain type of white fungus that can kill palms.... Is this true ?

Or would compost mulch be better?

Thanks.

After doing some thinking I think my last comment is the way to go... :interesting:

I have tried it all and the one i found that was best over all is pea straw ! it adds nitrogen to the soil as well .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Pea Straw? Never hear of that here in the States Troy, Sounds interesting.

Any type of straw base product I've used for bedding [for pets] in the pass has resulted in tons of grass coming up.

Maybe Pea Straw is different, if I can fine it here it would be fun to try.

If not, I was thinking of getting some course compost or something like that.

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Compost is always better

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It all works.

Compost rots really fast, and can blow around. Bark is prettier to look at, but it can get expensive. Stone is prettiest of all, and it's the most expensive, and it gets buried after a while.

I'd go ahead and experiment and see what you like best. Don't be afraid to try something new.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sugar Cane Mulch is my fav.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sugar Cane Mulch is my fav.

Yeah I am with you there Wal.........I like to lay a layer of cane mulch down and then sometimes put a layer of 'Dump' mulch on top. The cane mulch does wonders for the soil.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Good suggestion all.

My soil is Glacial sandy loam I may not need this but thought about adding Rock dust for Mineral and Trace elements by using Mineral Sea Salts [ Natural NA, CI, Ca, Fe, I, Mn, Zn, Cu, etc.] and Greensand [0-0-6].

Also thought about mushroom compost which consists of 60% wheat straw, 25% poultry littler, 10% gypsum and 5% urea.

Or I could use

Groco. Croco is a composted mixture of 95% sawdust and 5% biosolids. :mrlooney:

Regardless of which mulch you decide to go with, make sure you keep the mulch away from direct contact with the trunks of your palms.

Aloha, Karen

North of Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii

1200' elevation, 200" rain/year

Year round stream with small waterfalls

I think it really depends on what is available in your local area. I use cypress mulch, but at times I feel bad about using a native tree as mulch. I used to be able to buy a 2 cubic foot bag for 77 cents US, but now, it's running $2.10 US. Nevertheless, I like the smell, color, texture, and it lasts quite sometime.

Anyone ever use the chipped recycled rubber mulch? It's interesting but expensive. It may be cheaper in the long run, if it lasts and doesnt float away in our summer downpours.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Regardless of which mulch you decide to go with, make sure you keep the mulch away from direct contact with the trunks of your palms.

Aloha, Karen

Actually, in dry climates this is not as important. I've found that a few inches of coarse mulch against the trunks is beneficial in creating a nice environment for adventitious roots to form.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I am pretty much with Matt on that one, Sometimes the base of the palm pushes itself above of the ground level/ or the ground around the base sinks/compacts and soil/mulch is a good way to encourage new root development that would have been hindered by contact with dry air. The key is, both composted or uncomposted mulches are available. If the mulch is "fresh" uncomposted and you "pile" it against the trunk and it starts to decompose the temperature in the process can go up to 160 F and thats bad. If you are going to pile it against the trunk, make sure its already been "composted" and broken down !

• Upvote 1

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

• 2 months later...

Anyone ever use the chipped recycled rubber mulch? It's interesting but expensive. It may be cheaper in the long run, if it lasts and doesnt float away in our summer downpours.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was actually doing some searching on this myself. What are the thoughts on rubber mulch?

Shaun

So. California

I've always munched in beds, help in keeping moisture and keeping out weeds. I just bought 10bags over the weekend

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was actually doing some searching on this myself. What are the thoughts on rubber mulch?

Ficus elastica loves it

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Not a fan either. Since I am on mostly pure rock, organic all the way! :greenthumb:

Addressing the original inquiry, my preference would be pine bark mulch. Mostly because my soil has a pH @ 7.1. Some evidence that this may lower it. However, I don't use pine bark. Municiple mulch is used in the Moose Land - why send it to the landfill? A liberal use oak leaves before laying down the mulch seems beneficial here. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ficus elastica loves it

ha haaaaaa

Do you also get Miscanthus mulch in your country?

We have that in Switzerland, it's a nice ecologic mulch grown locally.

It makes a good looking mulching and should "match" with palms!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I tend to use melaleuca quinquenervia/leucadendra mulch here on the Gold coast.There are a couple of plantations in northern NSW that extract the oils from these species and sell off the bi product as Tea tree mulch.It breaks down fairly quickly,makes beautiful soil,though the only drawback is it's quite pricey (Around $60-$75 a Metre).My garden now is starting to produce its own mulch(abundant leaf litter and palm fronds) and nothing is wasted,it all goes back into the soil.Wal i did use sugar cane as well as it's high in nitrogen but the negatives out weighed the positives(Dust from the cane linked to cancer and the large pieces found in the bales can and have spread cane borer to areas well away from its usual location,thus attacking many palm sps here in suburban areas on the coast).....cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

So it sounds like the general consensus is no to the Rubber Mulch. :)

So anyone in the So. California, Fontana area have a good choice for a bucket scoop of organic mulch? I'd rather go that route then buy individual bags from Home Depot. The other option is the city offers free mulch to residents ,but I've read posts regarding who knows what is in it.

Shaun

So. California

Ficus elastica loves it

ah, you beat me to it :mrlooney:

So it sounds like the general consensus is no to the Rubber Mulch. :)

So anyone in the So. California, Fontana area have a good choice for a bucket scoop of organic mulch? I'd rather go that route then buy individual bags from Home Depot. The other option is the city offers free mulch to residents ,but I've read posts regarding who knows what is in it.

I didn't know the city or cities offer free mulch. like i said earlier i bought 10 bags at $2.50/bag from home depot, there's also a building supply shop near me that sells in bulk but i don't have a truck or a way to move that much mulch. you're out in Fontana there's a few places that offer mulch/compost/good dirt in bulk and they'll deliver for cheap because they're out in the inland empire. i'll try and get some phone numbers for you if i can find it but you can search craigslist

I didn't know the city or cities offer free mulch. like i said earlier i bought 10 bags at $2.50/bag from home depot, there's also a building supply shop near me that sells in bulk but i don't have a truck or a way to move that much mulch. you're out in Fontana there's a few places that offer mulch/compost/good dirt in bulk and they'll deliver for cheap because they're out in the inland empire. i'll try and get some phone numbers for you if i can find it but you can search craigslist

Yeah, I came across it on the Fontana website.

Couldn't find a site for Seal Beach, but it appears Long Beach has a program,

http://www.longbeach.gov/citymanager/sustainability/buildings_n_neighborhoods/mulch_delivery/default.asp

Sure your not in Long Beach? :)

If you come across those numbers, please share. I'll head over to Craigslist when I get a chance.

Shaun

So. California

Yeah, I came across it on the Fontana website.

Couldn't find a site for Seal Beach, but it appears Long Beach has a program,

http://www.longbeach.gov/citymanager/sustainability/buildings_n_neighborhoods/mulch_delivery/default.asp

Sure your not in Long Beach? :)

If you come across those numbers, please share. I'll head over to Craigslist when I get a chance.

the address on my drivers license is from Long Beach :), for 3 years now I've been too lazy to get the address changed lol

• 7 years later...

It’s starting to warm up here and I’m raking out all my planters of old bark, leaves, lava rock, etc. I’m thinking of going with a 3” layer of compost to help with soil aeration. I think for my soil this is more important than moisture retention. What are the cool kids using these days, particularly in SoCal?

Historically I've used Cyprus mulch around the bases of most everything with no noted issues as long as the soil is well draining. Lately, I've been using ground pine fines (we have alkaline clay soil), and it seems to be working marvelously. 

Lava rock is also super nice looking in the right application, but if you are trying to add organics to the soil and break up clay, something that decomposes quickly is a better option. 

4 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

It’s starting to warm up here and I’m raking out all my planters of old bark, leaves, lava rock, etc. I’m thinking of going with a 3” layer of compost to help with soil aeration. I think for my soil this is more important than moisture retention. What are the cool kids using these days, particularly in SoCal?

I use “Gorilla Hair” or shredded redwood mulch and it seems to work quite well and keep the soil pretty moist.  Just have to make sure not to add a layer more than a few inches deep. If it’s too deep it absorbs too much moisture and doesn’t allow enough to reach the soil. But I like to kind of do a layer cake with the mulching. Layer of leaves, then redwood shavings, etc..

Edited by ExperimentalGrower
  • Upvote 1

For large landscape areas, 3" - 4" of basic arbor mulch is good. If it is purely woody pieces without any decomposed leaf matter, it will hold up longer. It's cheaper than fir bark or rocks, and who knows what rubber mulch will do to your soil over time. In more visible areas near your living areas, decorative rocks are pretty. I lay them out on top of a layer of drain fabric to keep them from mixing into the soil.

10 hours ago, enigma99 said:

@Ben in Norcal has a good method going. He has local arborists to dump their mulch on this front driveway. Free and a great workout!

My county gives away free mulch, but I have no truck.:(

Unfortunately I've scared away most of the tree trimmers in my area.

There's a local sawmill that makes cypress boards, and they shred up the leftover pieces into mulch.  10 yards of cypress mulch for $250 delivered is a great deal, and it's not full of random junk like "dump mulch."  Some of it is pretty fine like the "gorilla hair" mentioned above, and some of it is chunks.  It also does not break down and disintegrate fast like pine and oak mulch, which is both good and bad.  It means I don't need to remulch an area even after 2 years, but it also means it isn't degrading into nutrients for the palms. 

• Like 1

Check with your local landfill, a lot of them offer compost and different mulch mixes they produce from the green waste collection and landscaping/tree trimmers dumping there. Its very affordable in our area. One benefit with their products over getting tree trimmers to dump their fresh grindings, is they compost it in piles, turning it with heavy machines over a few weeks which heats it up and kills most of the weeds and seeds, etc. that can sprout.

Edited by BigWaveDav3

https://gastonmulch.com/blog/cypress_mulch_alternatives/

this part: "

Cypress Mulch Pros and Cons

All that aside, many of the properties that make cypress wood a great building product also make cypress mulch a great landscape product. Cypress mulch is:

• Naturally pest and fungus resistant
  • Long-lasting
  • Pleasing in appearance
  • Aromatic 
  • Good at reducing moisture evaporation
  • Helpful for insulating the soil from extreme temperatures
  • Great at suppressing weeds and weed seeds
  • And, will feed the soil as it breaks down

But, so are most mulches

In fact, cypress mulch is more acidic than hardwood mulch, meaning that it can cause problems for plants that don’t prefer acidic soil. It repels water more readily than most pine mulches and is more likely to be washed away in areas with heavy rainfall or flooding. "  I have avoided cypress mulch in favor of metaleuca since cypress is over used and cannot be sustainable.  But metaleuca is the best at "low settling" according to this article.

http://archive.naplesnews.com/lifestyle/home/cover-up-which-mulch-is-best-for-your-garden-here-are-pros-and-cons-ep-401347958-339865641.html

The reasons for mulching are different in different climates.  Moisture retention and dding cation exchange in sandy soils is big here.  If I lived in miami and had alkaline rocky soil(plenty of cation exchange and moisture), I would have a different approach.  Out west in clay, plenty of cation exchange and water retention, I'd go with granite rock, especially in hot places, like inland, as it prevents evaporation and keeps the ground cool.  It all depends on what you are trying to do for your soil.  Today I found out that cypress mulch increases soil acidity, and I surely dont want that with my alkaline loving kentiopsis and copernicias.  Metaleuca also seems to "lock together" and prevent weeds fairly well also.  But metaleuca is invasive here in florida and they make mulch out of it by ripping it out of the wetlands that it invaded.  I am all for that kind of conservation, everybody wins and I dont have to use wood chips from a 100-500 year old tree every couple years, in effect depleting that wetland environment.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

As Derrick mentioned, I use whatever arborist mulch is on offer in the back yard - mostly pine and oak at this stage.  I do try to avoid species that have allelopathic qualities (e.g. eucalyptus, black walnut) out of an abundance of caution.  The difference in my yard since I started mulching is night and day, and I no longer fertilize anything outside of pots.

Out front I do still use expensive fir bark for the curb appeal...it's expensive as hell, so no way I could do the whole yard in that.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 2/27/2021 at 12:50 AM, enigma99 said:

@Ben in Norcal has a good method going. He has local arborists to dump their mulch on this front driveway. Free and a great workout!

I adhere to this method here in Arizona.  The tradeoff is that literally every xeric species that would need to be trimmed out here - for the most part anyways - is thorny.  So your mulch is either spikier than a metalhead's leather bracelet, or it is oleander.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

As Derrick mentioned, I use whatever arborist mulch is on offer in the back yard - mostly pine and oak at this stage.  I do try to avoid species that have allelopathic qualities (e.g. eucalyptus, black walnut) out of an abundance of caution.  The difference in my yard since I started mulching is night and day, and I no longer fertilize anything outside of pots.

Out front I do still use expensive fir bark for the curb appeal...it's expensive as hell, so no way I could do the whole yard in that.

Ben, do you use decomposed chips or fresh chips that arborists just ground up at a day’s job?