IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarckias are Pretty Fast Growers in Fla

sonoranfans

I planted a 5 gallon and a 15 gallon bismarckia in florida in may 2010. I had heard they were fast here, but it sounded a little like a fish story... So I looked back at my two Bizzies over 2 years from nov 2010 to nov 2012 to see how they had changed. First the little 5 gallon, 3 months after going in the ground it was already throwing spears.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

next 1 year later it was already on the run

Tom Blank

and this november it was further expanded and stands about 8' overall, from 2' to about 8' overall in 2 years...

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Next my bigger one bought as a 15 gallon about 4 1/2 to 5' overall planted. Both this and the little one saw 2 hard frosts and 28F a month after this photo(dec 15,16 2010)

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

The 15 gallon one year later

Tom Blank

And this past november 2012. It is starting to look like a beast, it has enough room fortunately to fill out. After my experience, eh maybe they do grow fast in florida... My advice would be to remember these get big and wide and leaflet tips are rigid could scratch you or poke you in the eye, they arent soft. the references I've read say plenty of sun, lots of heat, and good drainage. I'll add that I did condition the sandy soil and fed them florikan. When I see how fast they grow, I ask why would you buy a large specimen in Fla? A 15 gallon will be 11' overall in 2 years...

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

That looks fast indeed, and the first one sure looks very healthy with lots of wax building from being in full sun.

Hi There,I just hope mine grows as fast.I started one from seed in the late fall.I kept it inside through the winter and it has 2 straps about a foot tall and looks very healthy.I put it out in the sun on warm days.

yours is a good looking palm and i love that ice blue color.thanks for posting

Jaydeebee

• Upvote 1

Very nice looking palms, my favorite marginal palm for this area. They look better IMO before they get too much trunk on them. Although larger ones look better if they have a nice dark backdrop in which to really show their color. Looks like you are doing something right....great growth.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil