IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea sp. - 3 years from a small 5 gallon

Jastin

Planted all my Parajubaeas out in 2005... got them in 2002 as dinky seedlings (see photos below). First photo are my babies 2002 (may be 2001... can't remember any more). Then the before and after of Parajubaea sunkha, Parajubaea torralyi microcarpa (or sold as such), and lastly before and after of Parajubaea torrallyi torrallyi... seems like the last two should be reversed, but that was how I purchased them.

Geoff, your sunkha does not seem to root easily? I think I have the same problem with a juvenile sunkha. Next to it grows a TVT of same age that has rooted much better, though the sunkha had been outplanted without root disturbance, while TVT during the proceess lost half of its root mass.

The P sunkha is pretty wobbly and perhaps because it is planted in sloggy clay soil (but then so are the P torrallyis and they are solid as a rock). Additionally thanks to its much more leafy, wide crown, high winds, which we get here a lot, keep that plant from growing upright- so it is always leaning over... this may end up being a good thing should I try to move it this summer... or not.

The P sunkha is pretty wobbly and perhaps because it is planted in sloggy clay soil (but then so are the P torrallyis and they are solid as a rock). Additionally thanks to its much more leafy, wide crown, high winds, which we get here a lot, keep that plant from growing upright- so it is always leaning over... this may end up being a good thing should I try to move it this summer... or not.

Hm, I am no that sure it is the heavy clay soil the reason because mine grows in a very porous medium and though still with strap leaves has already begun to lean. The next to it growing TVT remains upright. Below a photo left TVT and right sunkha.

post-6141-0-21787600-1362763197_thumb.jp

Geoff - your Chamearops cerifera looks stunning !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate