IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butyagrus (Butia eriospatha x Syagrus romanzoffianna ' santa catarina')

Raniked

Here is my Butia eriospatha x Syagrus rom sc

p1020926ve.jpg

I can't find pictures of adults. Does anyone's got pictures of an older one? They seem to be larger and more frost tolerant than regular Butyagrus

julien

I'm not sure this form is very available here in the states, at least Ive never seen one.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I have not heard of an eriospatha mule, I think we have lots of capitata mules. I have seen a yatay mule(buffy, I think) and it was very different than any other mule I have seen. So Raniked, what temperatures has that mule been exposed to? I think the cold hardiness of mules is an important aspect, and the cold hardiest one will stretch the range for the cold hardy growers.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

It has been in the ground for 2 years and only took -4°C last winter, no dammage. It might be worth a try in 8b. I know it has been tried in the UK and we are a few in France. It seems the trunk is larger than a regular mule.

It has been in the ground for 2 years and only took -4°C last winter, no dammage. It might be worth a try in 8b. I know it has been tried in the UK and we are a few in France. It seems the trunk is larger than a regular mule.

mules here with the capitata mother are believed to be good to -8C at least. Being as eriospatha is more cold hardy than capitata, your hybrid might be good to -10C or better... Keep us posted and give up an update in "freeze damage" section of this forum, please. this hybrid could help further stretch the zone limits a bit for the mule palm.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I made seeds of B.eriospatha x Paraná´sTableland queen and they were offered at RPS some time ago.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I have some tiny seedlings I germinated from Nigel's seeds.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Butia eriospatha x Syagrus romanzoffiana hybrids are not produced commercially in Brazil but sometimes they 'happens" naturally or in gardens.

This one I photographed because it has some kind of disease that makes some of it´s fronds suddenly die. It lacks +- 5 fronds that were removed and shows some others dying.(I sent the pic to Harri Lorenzi and asked him about the illness)

post-465-0-77108700-1362266867_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-21960500-1362266940_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

This photo came from HARDY PALMS. The bigger palm is a hybrid with B.eriospatha and the tinier with B.catarinensis if I remember well

http://www.hardy-palms.co.uk/category.asp?section=18

post-465-0-08896600-1362274666_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I made seeds of B.eriospatha x Paraná´sTableland queen and they were offered at RPS some time ago.

Yea what the heck I bought 100 of these zero germination, I tried several different germination methods nothing worked... what am I doing wrong Ive germinated hundreds of BXS and so many other rare hybrids i just don't understand?

Paul Gallop

Yea what the heck I bought 100 of these zero germination, I tried several different germination methods nothing worked... what am I doing wrong Ive germinated hundreds of BXS and so many other rare hybrids i just don't understand?

Yes , the B.erio x S.glaucescens was easier to germinate then B.erio x S.romanzoffiana. Have you tried cracking the seeds and germinating in sterile vermiculite?

Yes I have with no Luck !!!

Also tried the B.erio x S.glaucescens no luck, 200 seed between the two and not one seedling to show for it! Bummer!!!!

Paul Gallop

I pollinated my B.Eriospatha w/ Queen pollen last year. I sowed them late in the year but was fortunate enough to get about five sprouts.

My B.Eriospatha is a fat momma and i can't wait to see what these guys grow into!

I sent Don in Alabama pure Eriospatha seeds and none germinated but my hybrid ones are doing great.

I will show pics as they grow if you like.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I pollinated my B.Eriospatha w/ Queen pollen last year. I sowed them late in the year but was fortunate enough to get about five sprouts.

Butia seeds can germinate after a lot of years, so don´t throw away your seeds.

I made a floating test with my hybrids before selling them to RPS and could not throw away this "bad" seeds. I cracked some of the floaters and saw that some had still at least one good kernel inside and others were rot or dried) , and.....I have +- 10 plants from this not first class seeds.... :bemused:

My B.Eriospatha is a fat momma and i can't wait to see what these guys grow into!

I sent Don in Alabama pure Eriospatha seeds and none germinated but my hybrid ones are doing great.

I will show pics as they grow if you like.

Butia seeds can germinate after a lot of years, so don´t throw away your seeds.

I made a floating test with my hybrid before selling them to RPS and cracked some of the floaters and saw that some had still at least one good kernel inside others were rot or dried) and could not throw away this "bad" seeds, and.....I have +- 10 plants from them....

I have a question. Is there a possibility of very low temperatures inside cargo compartments of planes flying at high altitudes???Or are this warmed?. Can freezing (lets say -20ºC), adversely affect germination???? (only a question ...)

I checked all my seeds and they crumbled almost to dust in my fingers.

Paul Gallop

One thing i've noticed about the mountain queens is that they suffer in the greenhouse when young with lower light. Both my pure Syagrus rom. "Mountain Queen"s and my B. Eriospatha x Syagrus rom. "Mountain Queen" start pushing out this sickly stretched growth. I haven't seen it with my other crosses yet.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

The Syagrus romanzoffiana seedlings have long strap leaves..............

Stretched beyond its ability to support the frond.

• 2 years later...