ramooi

Do these baby King Palms look healthy?

ramooi

Hi there. My wife and I bought these King Palms from OSH. The employees cut off some branches at some point and I'm not sure if that will affect the growth of the palms down the road. Can you please look at these photos and tell me how they look? I would like to plant them soon, but can still take them back to the store for a refund if they don't look right.

By the way, I can't seem to find the branch that comes out of the top, where the new branches come from. Are those usually harder to see when they are younger?

Thanks for your help.

post-7512-0-24017600-1362165441_thumb.jp

post-7512-0-07923400-1362165443_thumb.jp

post-7512-0-60785900-1362165445_thumb.jp

post-7512-0-72129900-1362165447_thumb.jp

post-7512-0-83227600-1362165449_thumb.jp

post-7512-0-83183700-1362165451_thumb.jp

Kim

I think I see the very tip of the next emerging spear on the palm to the left in your first photo. The palm on the right seems to have the frond opening slightly prematurely. They look fine. Wait until all chance of temps below 33F is past before you plant, just to be safe. You might tug on the dry leaf bases to see if they are ready to come off. If they don't fall off easily, just leave them. Good luck with your new palms. :)

sonoranfans

they look fine to me. I dont see any sign of issues... maybe could have been watered more, but they will bounce back quickly I expect..

richnorm

They are fine if over-trimmed. The new growth (spear) has opened early, possibly due to the over-trimming. Stick them in the ground but don't be surprised if you get a little leaf burn as they get used to direct sun. You could use a few twigs to cut the light for a few weeks to mitigate this somewhat.

paulgila

they look fine,to me,although i would call them "juvenile," not "baby." :mrlooney:

joe_OC

The palms look fine to me. I'm with Kim. Don't plant them until any chance of frost has past.

Gonzer

they look fine,to me,although i would call them "juvenile," not "baby." :mrlooney:

I'd actually call them 'heirs to the throne'.

MattyB

Is this a pink powder that I see? Or is it just some white crust, like from hard water deposits or something?

Carefully pull the brown leaf bases back, not detaching them from the trunk, and peek back there to see if you see any pink powder. It'll be bright pink, pretty unmistakable if you have gliocladium blight.

post-126-0-55172100-1362179546_thumb.jpg

joe_OC

If that is gliocladium blight, and the palm dies, make sure you keep the OSH pots because they have the most liberal return policy for plants. I want to say it is a life time guarantee.

Jastin

Gliocblah blah blah is called pink rot.

ramooi

Thanks for your help everyone! I don't see any pink powder underneath so it must be water deposits. By the way, How do I know which side is the front when I plant my tree near the house?

Gonzer

Thanks for your help everyone! I don't see any pink powder underneath so it must be water deposits. By the way, How do I know which side is the front when I plant my tree near the house?

There is no "front" to a palm. If you like, tilt them ever so slightly away from the house when planting out.

DoomsDave

Those babies are ready to rip off their diapers and rock the house.

Plant them. Water them. KABOOM!

And, come on down south to a PSSC meeting and see other plants that will also grow up where you are!

Jastin

Usually I like to plant a triple trunked palm with the smallest palm in front. I also face 1 trunk towards the viewing point with the back two in the back. If they are going to be near anything like a house overhang that make sure to have enough distance because they will bend away from eachother as they grow. Send us so pics when it's planted!

Moose

They look fine to me as well. The older fronds were probably showing signs of cold damage so were removed to make the palms more appetizing to a prospective buyer. Looks like their efforts worked. :winkie: