IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Comprehensive Hardiness List

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Much obliged from your comprehensive reply. My bizzi has fallen indirectly victim to rpw and paysandisia cause of excessive preventive spraying. But, using medical terminology, situation seems stabilized, in fact I think that trunk has fattened up a bit, though after spearpull (and also two of the youngest leaves) still no new spear on horizon but older leaves look very vivid and... perky. I followed exactly the same procedure you have described plus some covering of the cavity during rainy days. So there is still some hope!

How big is your Biz and how long in the ground? Small ones are more sensitive in my experience and they need 2 summers to establish.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

This is becoming even more and more puzzling by the minute. A queen being less hardy than a p. hillebrandii? Something is seriously fishy here. It's very clear we are not getting the full story. p. hillebrandii has no cold hardiness whatsoever, it fries at 30F, snow at -2C would most definitely kill it cold. Mine starts showing damage at 32F. Bismarks are actually not widely planted in Northern California because they can't take the frost. But queens are everywhere because they can take the frost no problem. None of this freeze report makes any sense whatsoever. Have you considered that perhaps your palms were infected with some pathogen and the snow was just too much.

Anyway, I am going to stop trying to figure out this one. It's not making sense to me.

I disagree about bizzies not taking a frost, my emerging juveniles have taken 4 over the last 2 years with minimal damage to the lowest fronds at 28-30F. they are widely used as public plantings in parks and even neighborhood common areas in my area of florida, an area that is prone to frosts but has a dry winter season, like the natural habitat of bismarckia. Bismarcks are probably not planted in northern california because they dont like cold and wet and relish heat. A bizzie with wet feet in winter has quite a bit less cold resistance. The inland areas in norcal that get enough heat to grow a bizzie properly, like gilroy, get too cold in winter, and the coastal 9b/10a areas arent hot or sunny enough in summer for a bizzie to be healthy and they get pretty wet in winter.

There are practically no public biz plantings in California, even in Southern California where there are frost free areas that also get plenty of heat. It's not because biz require heat, it's because they're just not well known. They are considered too frost sensitive in California, whether this is true or not is a different story altogether, but that is the perception.

They grow fine in the warmer thermal belts of Norcal, and I even saw one in Grover Beach 3 bocks from the ocean that looked great. But they're probably not for San Francisco or Half Moon Bay. The blue form is supposed to be hardy to 22F so they should do fine in places like San Jose and other inland Bay area places.

Conmsidered too frost sensitive in california? really? read the freeze damage section, plenty of palm talkers with a load of information. They grow very well in 9b/10a central florida which is well known to have more frost events in winter than 9b/10a southern california. Check out Walts bizzies in post 14 of this link, frosted many times, only damage to lower fronds...

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35301-cold-tolerance-of-a-trunking-bismarkia/?hl=walt#entry557694

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Much obliged from your comprehensive reply. My bizzi has fallen indirectly victim to rpw and paysandisia cause of excessive preventive spraying. But, using medical terminology, situation seems stabilized, in fact I think that trunk has fattened up a bit, though after spearpull (and also two of the youngest leaves) still no new spear on horizon but older leaves look very vivid and... perky. I followed exactly the same procedure you have described plus some covering of the cavity during rainy days. So there is still some hope!

How big is your Biz and how long in the ground? Small ones are more sensitive in my experience and they need 2 summers to establish.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/33438-help-with-my-bismarckia-or-is-it-aready-a-goner/#entry533456 Here is a link, where you can see how it looked last summer before spearpull (it has not changed the least since then but the spearpull). It has around 10 cm of clear barel like blackish trunk. It had been outplanted at folllowing size in 1999 :post-6141-0-79063200-1362606802_thumb.gi. About the discussion whether it needs a lot of warmth to promote adequate new growth, my experience is mixed. I have hot summers, but during that period it used to push and open only two leaves the rest (about 3 to 4) remaing spears in various stages, which grew reapidly and opened when weather cools off in fall untill early December.

Edited by Phoenikakias

This is becoming even more and more puzzling by the minute. A queen being less hardy than a p. hillebrandii? Something is seriously fishy here. It's very clear we are not getting the full story. p. hillebrandii has no cold hardiness whatsoever, it fries at 30F, snow at -2C would most definitely kill it cold. Mine starts showing damage at 32F. Bismarks are actually not widely planted in Northern California because they can't take the frost. But queens are everywhere because they can take the frost no problem. None of this freeze report makes any sense whatsoever. Have you considered that perhaps your palms were infected with some pathogen and the snow was just too much.

Anyway, I am going to stop trying to figure out this one. It's not making sense to me.

I disagree about bizzies not taking a frost, my emerging juveniles have taken 4 over the last 2 years with minimal damage to the lowest fronds at 28-30F. they are widely used as public plantings in parks and even neighborhood common areas in my area of florida, an area that is prone to frosts but has a dry winter season, like the natural habitat of bismarckia. Bismarcks are probably not planted in northern california because they dont like cold and wet and relish heat. A bizzie with wet feet in winter has quite a bit less cold resistance. The inland areas in norcal that get enough heat to grow a bizzie properly, like gilroy, get too cold in winter, and the coastal 9b/10a areas arent hot or sunny enough in summer for a bizzie to be healthy and they get pretty wet in winter.

There are practically no public biz plantings in California, even in Southern California where there are frost free areas that also get plenty of heat. It's not because biz require heat, it's because they're just not well known. They are considered too frost sensitive in California, whether this is true or not is a different story altogether, but that is the perception.

They grow fine in the warmer thermal belts of Norcal, and I even saw one in Grover Beach 3 bocks from the ocean that looked great. But they're probably not for San Francisco or Half Moon Bay. The blue form is supposed to be hardy to 22F so they should do fine in places like San Jose and other inland Bay area places.

Conmsidered too frost sensitive in california? really? read the freeze damage section, plenty of palm talkers with a load of information. They grow very well in 9b/10a central florida which is well known to have more frost events in winter than 9b/10a southern california. Check out Walts bizzies in post 14 of this link, frosted many times, only damage to lower fronds...

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35301-cold-tolerance-of-a-trunking-bismarkia/?hl=walt#entry557694

Read what I wrote originally, I didn't say i believed they are not frost hardy, I said it's what most people in California believe hence it's not widely planted.

I also agree with Tom(sonoranfans) no frost issues for Silver Bizzies. I've heard about the green varieties being frost-sensitive though.

With only minimal frost protection these are remarkably hardy. I have one that made it through temps that defoliated my queens (and killed smaller queens) with only minor damage because there was a mule providing frost protection!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I also agree with Tom(sonoranfans) no frost issues for Silver Bizzies. I've heard about the green varieties being frost-sensitive though.

Sounds very hopeful. I will be going against all of the "wisdom" out here in Northern California and get one, to see how it does.

There is purportedly, a certain green variety even hardier than the silvers. I was just gifted a couple, so we shall see next winter.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

There is purportedly, a certain green variety even hardier than the silvers. I was just gifted a couple, so we shall see next winter.

I can not wait for your report!

The only palm so far that won't grow near my oaks is the Queen palm. But it seems more soil related.

Hi Axel,

I understood from your posts that queens generally do very well in Santa Cruz.

I had a look at the climate data of Santa Cruz and it seems like a very mild climate yearround without real heat. Also nighttemps seem to be coolish varying from 40f to 55f yearround. Do queens grow fast in your climate?

Thanks,

Axel from Amsterdam

Based on my personal experience, having killed 3 of them in Zone 9a on the Gulf Coast these are not in any way Zone 9a palms in a wet winter environment. Zone 9a in California may be a different story, and usually is as "cold and dry" vs "cold and wet" can mean all the different in the world when it comes to cold hardiness.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Based on my personal experience, having killed 3 of them in Zone 9a on the Gulf Coast these are not in any way Zone 9a palms in a wet winter environment. Zone 9a in California may be a different story, and usually is as "cold and dry" vs "cold and wet" can mean all the different in the world when it comes to cold hardiness.

Agreed, Bismarckias are accepted as zone 9b by most authorities, and they are less hardy in a wet winter environment. Central floridas dry winter combined with a zone 9b or 10a climate is near perfect for bizzies IMO. You know when they are used a a public landscape tree and look very full of crown, they are in the right place...

Tom Blank

The only palm so far that won't grow near my oaks is the Queen palm. But it seems more soil related.

Hi Axel,

I understood from your posts that queens generally do very well in Santa Cruz.

I had a look at the climate data of Santa Cruz and it seems like a very mild climate yearround without real heat. Also nighttemps seem to be coolish varying from 40f to 55f yearround. Do queens grow fast in your climate?

Thanks,

Axel from Amsterdam

When you look at weather stations in California, you need to understand that it's very different than in the Netherlands in that there is a significant temperature difference from one place to the next. Santa Cruz's official station is within 1/2 mile of the beach, and thus has much cooler readings than even just 2-3 miles inland. My garden is at higher elevation away from the coast where it's routinely warmer than right in town. But our night time temperatures are actually lower than in town. So it's a bigger temperature differential each day. Many palms thrive in that sort of climate.

You can climb higher in the mountains to around 1,000 feet and Summer night time temperatures are in the 70's with daytime temperatures in the 90's. (22F low/90F high).

Yes, queens are lightning fast even right down to the beach. In our neighborhood, they look really good, see below:

20130311_091008_zpse2c0caba.jpg

The most amazing placement of a Bismarckia I've seen is in Shafter near Phil Nickel's place in Kern County, in the colder of the Central Valley Sunset zones, 8. This region suffers lengthy periods of cold, thick fog with temperatures in the 30s and 40s for weeks at a time, sometimes clearing to cold, strong winds and sharp frosts. Commercial citrus growers avoid these bottomlands of the valley.

The palm had burned in the 2007 freeze but was clearly going to survive and grow out of it, and already had something of a trunk developing.

The reason I think it survives there is that while winter can be dank, it's not very rainy and soils can dry out a bit and keep the roots oxygenated and slightly warmer. The average annual rainfall in the area is 6 inches / 150mm.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Jason, I think you may be right. I am still trying to figure out the real limiting factor for this palm in Northern California. It just doesn't appear to be the extreme low temperatures. I read Phil Bergman's write up on this palm, he says it doesn't like growing in clay and wet Winter soil. Several other sites said the same thing. This is why I bought the palm. I have sandy soil on a hillside where the soil dries out even in the middle of the Winter during the rainy season. I planted avocados up there and they are heavily stunted due to the low availability of water. I'll let you know how the specimens below will fare once I plant them. One of them may end up in Gilroy.

ScreenShot2013-03-19at110011PM_zps35f850

• 1 month later...

Here is the list I did many years ago, compiled from many websites at that time.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/9435-palm-freeze-survival-list/

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

4.png
OK, here is another rendition. I think this is the end of commonly available info on minimal survival temps.

Disclaimers

I am not a palm expert. This info is not scientific. It was gathered from various websites, blogs, message boards including this one, etc.

In each case I have attempted to verify minimal survival temps from at least 2 sources, 3 where possible, in a very small number it was only 1.

This list represents temperatures where palms were known to survive, not die. Many of these palms have died at higher temperatures. I would say that a healthy palm, in the right place might survive these minimum temps.

No guarantees. This is an experimenters reference.

In the next renditions, I will add common names, and frost tolerance info, where available.

I started this as a learning effort for myself. I could use some help. I know some folks on this board have more info. Quite a bit of this was picked up from the past post of active posters here.

My interest here is creating best list possible. After scouring a great number of these lists, I think in the end, with your help, this could be the most comprehensive as far as total number of palms covered, if nothing else. It is completely in the public domain for all to use as they see fit.

NFT = Not frost tolerant, regardless of surface temp. Just starting to add this info. It is not at all complete.

Acanthophoenix rubra 20

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii 20

Acrocomia aculeata v mexicana 26

Acrocomia media 25

Acrocomia totai 26

Adonia Merilli 25

Allagoptera arenaria 25

Allagopteria campestris 25

Allagopteria leucocalyx

Archontophoenix alexandrae 28

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 28

Arenga caudata 27

Arenga engleri - shorter form 20

Arenga engleri - taller form 23

Arenga micrantha 20

Attalea cohune 28 N

Attalea dubia 25

Attalea rostrata 27

Bactris mexicana 27

Bactris setosa 25

Beccariophoenix alfredii 28

Beccariophoenix madagascariensis 26

Bismarckia noblis 24

Borassus aethiopum 24

Brahea aculeata 24

Brahea armata 15

Brahea berlandieri 15

Brahea brandegeei 24

Brahea clara 24

Brahea decumbens 15

Brahea dulcis 15

Brahea dulcis 'Blue' 26

Brahea edulis 24

Brahea moorei 15

Brahea nitida 26

Brahea pimo 25

Brahea sarukhanii 25

Brahea 'Super Silver'

Burretiokentia hapala 28

Butia archeri 25

Butia arenicola

Butia bonetti 10

Butia capitata 15

Butia capitata 'lax leaf' 16

Butia capitata 'odorata' 15

Butia capitata x Jubea 16

Butia capitata x Syagrus coronata 'Butiagrus houstonii' 16

Butia capitata x Syagrus picophylla 'Butia x picophylla' 16

Butia capitata x Syagrus romanzoffiania 'Mule Palm' 16

Butia eriospatha 15

Butia microspadix

Butia odorata

Butia paraguayensis 15

Butia purpurascens 15

Butia yatay 15

Calamus caryotoides 26

Calamus usitatus 26

Caryota gigas 27

Caryota gigas 'Black Trunk' 27

Caryota maxima 'Himalaya' 27

Caryota mitis 25

Caryota 'Mystery Cluster'

Caryota obtusa (India Form) 27

Caryota ochlandra 27

Caryota urens 29

Ceroxylon alpinum 26

Ceroxylon parvifrons 23

Ceroxylon quindiuense 26

Ceroxylon vogelianum 28

Chamaedora pumila 26

Chamaedorea brachypoda 26

Chamaedorea cataractarum 26

Chamaedorea costaricana 25

Chamaedorea elegans 26

Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti 27

Chamaedorea fragrans 27

Chamaedorea glaucifolia 26

Chamaedorea graminifolia 30

Chamaedorea hooperiana 27

Chamaedorea klotzchiana 26

Chamaedorea metalica 26

Chamaedorea microspadix 20

Chamaedorea oblongata 27

Chamaedorea oreophila 25

Chamaedorea plumosa 26

Chamaedorea pochutlensis 26

Chamaedorea pochutlensis x graminifolia 25

Chamaedorea radicalis 22

Chamaedorea seifrizii 26

Chamaedorea stolonifera 26

Chamaerops humilis 16

Chamaerops humilis cerifera 16

Chambeyronia macrocarpa 30

Chuniophoenix hainansis 26

Coccothrinax argentata (provinence important) 26

Coccothrinax barbadensis 24

Coccothrinax crinata 26

Coccothrinax miraguama 26

Cocos nucifera 26

Copernicia alba 26

Copernicia fallaense 26

Copernicia glabrescens 26

Copernicia hospita 26

Copernicia macroglossa 24

Copernicia prunifera (inexplainably hardy) 26

Corypha elata 26

Corypha umbraculifera 26

Cryosophila stauracantha 26

Cyphophoenix nucele 26

Dypsis baronii 28

Dypsis decaryi 27

Dypsis decipiens 26

Dypsis lutescens 25

Dypsis onilahensis 29

Encephalartos ferox 25

Euterpe edulis 30

Gastrococos crispa 26

Guihaia argyrata 20

Guihaia grossefibrosa 20

Howea forsteriana 28

Hyphaene coriacea 27

Hyphaene dichotoma 27

Juania australis 21

Jubaea chilensis 15

Jubaeopsis caffra 25

Laccospadix australasica 26

Lepidorrachis mooreana 26

Licuala elegans 26

Licuala grandis 26

Licuala ramsayi 26

Licuala spinosa 26

Linospadix monostachya 26

Livistona australis 24

Livistona benthamii 24

Livistona boninensis (Syn. L. chin. ssp. subglossa)

Livistona carinensis 24

Livistona chinensis 24

Livistona chinensis v. subglobossa 24

Livistona decipiens 24

Livistona drudei 24

Livistona fulva 28

Livistona jenkinstana 26

Livistona mariae 25

Livistona muelleri 24

Livistona nitida 22

Livistona rigida 26

Livistona saribus 24

Livistona speciosa

Lytocaryum weddellianum 26

Nannorhops ritchiana 'Iran Silver' and 'Kashmir' 16

Nannorrhops ritchiana 15

Nannorrhops ritchiana 'Silver' 15

Normanbya normanbyi 26

Orbignya phalerata 26

Parajubaea cocoides 26

Parajubaea sunkha 25

Parajubaea torallyi 23

Phoenix acaulis 24

Phoenix canariensis 18

Phoenix canariensis x dactylifera 18

Phoenix dactylifera 20

Phoenix loureiroi v hanceana 26

Phoenix loureiroi v humilis 20

Phoenix loureiroi v loureirii 26

Phoenix loureiroi v pedunculata 20

Phoenix pusilla x roebelenii 26

Phoenix reclinata 22

Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii 24

Phoenix reclinata x rupicola

Phoenix roebelenii 22 ,NFT

Phoenix roebelenii v reasoneri 27

Phoenix roebelenii x canariensis 24

Phoenix rupicola 26

Phoenix sylvestris 18

Phoenix sylvestris v robusta 18

Phoenix theophrasti 20

Phoenix zeylanica

Plectocomia himilayana 24

Pritchardia beccariana 26

Pritchardia hildebrandii 26

Pritchardia minor 29

Pseudophoenix sargentii 26

Ptychosperma microcarpum 26

Ravenea glauca 28

Ravenea madagascariensis 26

Ravenea rivularis 26

Ravenea robustior

Ravenea sambiranensis 26

Ravenea xerophila 26

Ravenea xerophila 26

Rhapidophyllum hystrix 16

Rhapis excelsa 24

Rhapis humilis 20

Rhapis laosensis 26

Rhapis multifidia 24

Rhapis subtitlus 26

Rhopalostylis sapida 26

Rhopalostylis sapida v Chatham 26

Roystonea regia 26

Roystonea borenquenia 26

Sabal "riverside" 8

Sabal bermudana 20

Sabal 'Birmingham' 5

Sabal blackburnia 20

Sabal 'Brazoria 10

Sabal causerium 20

Sabal domingensis 20

Sabal etonia 20

Sabal maritima 20

Sabal mauritiaformis 24

Sabal mexicana 20

Sabal minor 12

Sabal minor louisiana 5

Sabal palmetto 16

Sabal parviflora 26

Sabal pumos 25

Sabal 'Riverside' 8

Sabal rosei 20

Sabal Tamaulipas 5

Sabal uresana 10

Sabal uresana x mexicana 10

Sabal Xtexensis 20

Sabal yapa 26

Scheelea butryracea 26

Scheelea liebmanii 26

Schippia concolor 26

Serenoa repens 20

Serenoa repens ‘Azul' 20

Syagrus campicola

Syagrus comosa

Syagrus duartei

Syagrus flexuosa

Syagrus glaucescens

Syagrus harleyi 25

Syagrus pleioclada

Syagrus romanzoffiana 24

Syagrus sancona 26

Syagrus schizophylla 28

Syagrus yungasensis

Synechanthus fibrosus 26

Thrinax morrisii 26

Thrinax radiata 26

Thrinax radiata 26

Trachycarpus 'Bulgaria' 10

Trachycarpus campestris 10

Trachycarpus fortunei 10

Trachycarpus geminisectus 10

Trachycarpus latisectus 20

Trachycarpus 'manipur' 20

Trachycarpus martianus 20

Trachycarpus 'Naga Hills'

Trachycarpus nanus 10

Trachycarpus oreophilus 20

Trachycarpus princeps 20

Trachycarpus schizophylla

Trachycarpus sikkimensis 25

Trachycarpus takaghii (f T. wagnerianus x m T. fortunei ) 10

Trachycarpus takil 10

Trachycarpus wagnerianus 10

Trithrinax acanthocoma 23

Trithrinax brasiliensis 23

Trithrinax campestris 20

Trithrinax schizophylla 23

Wallichia caryotoides 25

Wallichia densiflora 26

Wallichia disticha 24

Washingtonia filifera 16

Washingtonia filifera x robusta 16

Washingtonia robusta 20

Wodyetia bifurcata (long shot) 27 ,NFT

Zombia antillaru 24

• rep_up.png
South Central Louisiana, Coastal Influence

Hardiness Zone 9a, Heat Zone 8, Sunset Zone 28

Averages = rainfall 61". Low/H Averages i=January 60/40, July 90/72

Hello everyone.

I was quickly skimming thru this thread and see that Cocos nucifera is included in this list with a cold tolerance of 26 but.....

we all know it does not grow in SoCal.

Long story short...shouldnt we also include the temp range like extreme/highsun exposure, temperature, humidity and possibly soil temp to make a conclusion that plants will successfully but not necessarily robustly grow in SoCal or any place for that matter.

Any thoughts on this Comprehensive Hardiness List or Cold Tolerance/Heat & Humidity List?

Ritchy

Here is the list I did many years ago, compiled from many websites at that time.

Ritchy that 26F is poppycock for cocos. Any lis tthat says cocos are more cold hardy than wodyetia(foxtail) is very suspect.

4.png

OK, here is another rendition. I think this is the end of commonly available info on minimal survival temps.

Disclaimers

I am not a palm expert. This info is not scientific. It was gathered from various websites, blogs, message boards including this one, etc.

In each case I have attempted to verify minimal survival temps from at least 2 sources, 3 where possible, in a very small number it was only 1.

This list represents temperatures where palms were known to survive, not die. Many of these palms have died at higher temperatures. I would say that a healthy palm, in the right place might survive these minimum temps.

In the next renditions, I will add common names, and frost tolerance info, where available.

I started this as a learning effort for myself. I could use some help. I know some folks on this board have more info. Quite a bit of this was picked up from the past post of active posters here.

My interest here is creating best list possible. After scouring a great number of these lists, I think in the end, with your help, this could be the most comprehensive as far as total number of palms covered, if nothing else. It is completely in the public domain for all to use as they see fit.

NFT = Not frost tolerant, regardless of surface temp. Just starting to add this info. It is not at all complete.

Acanthophoenix rubra 20

Acrocomia media 25

Acrocomia totai 26

Adonia Merilli 25

Allagoptera arenaria 25

Allagopteria leucocalyx

Arenga caudata 27

Arenga micrantha 20

Attalea cohune 28 N

Attalea dubia 25

Attalea rostrata 27

Bactris mexicana 27

Bactris setosa 25

Bismarckia noblis 24

Borassus aethiopum 24

Brahea aculeata 24

Brahea armata 15

Brahea berlandieri 15

Brahea brandegeei 24

Brahea clara 24

Brahea decumbens 15

Brahea dulcis 15

Brahea dulcis 'Blue' 26

Brahea edulis 24

Brahea moorei 15

Brahea nitida 26

Brahea pimo 25

Brahea sarukhanii 25

Brahea 'Super Silver'

Burretiokentia hapala 28

Butia archeri 25

Butia arenicola

Butia bonetti 10

Butia capitata 15

Butia eriospatha 15

Butia microspadix

Butia odorata

Butia paraguayensis 15

Butia purpurascens 15

Butia yatay 15

Calamus caryotoides 26

Calamus usitatus 26

Caryota gigas 27

Caryota mitis 25

Caryota ochlandra 27

Caryota urens 29

Ceroxylon alpinum 26

Ceroxylon parvifrons 23

Ceroxylon quindiuense 26

Ceroxylon vogelianum 28

Chamaedora pumila 26

Chamaedorea elegans 26

Chamaedorea fragrans 27

Chamaedorea metalica 26

Chamaedorea oblongata 27

Chamaedorea oreophila 25

Chamaedorea plumosa 26

Chamaedorea radicalis 22

Chamaedorea seifrizii 26

Chamaerops humilis 16

Coccothrinax crinata 26

Cocos nucifera 26

Copernicia alba 26

Copernicia fallaense 26

Copernicia hospita 26

Corypha elata 26

Corypha umbraculifera 26

Cyphophoenix nucele 26

Dypsis baronii 28

Dypsis decaryi 27

Dypsis decipiens 26

Dypsis lutescens 25

Dypsis onilahensis 29

Encephalartos ferox 25

Euterpe edulis 30

Gastrococos crispa 26

Guihaia argyrata 20

Guihaia grossefibrosa 20

Howea forsteriana 28

Hyphaene coriacea 27

Hyphaene dichotoma 27

Juania australis 21

Jubaea chilensis 15

Jubaeopsis caffra 25

Licuala elegans 26

Licuala grandis 26

Licuala ramsayi 26

Licuala spinosa 26

Livistona australis 24

Livistona benthamii 24

Livistona carinensis 24

Livistona chinensis 24

Livistona decipiens 24

Livistona drudei 24

Livistona fulva 28

Livistona jenkinstana 26

Livistona mariae 25

Livistona muelleri 24

Livistona nitida 22

Livistona rigida 26

Livistona saribus 24

Livistona speciosa

Nannorrhops ritchiana 15

Normanbya normanbyi 26

Orbignya phalerata 26

Parajubaea cocoides 26

Parajubaea sunkha 25

Parajubaea torallyi 23

Phoenix acaulis 24

Phoenix canariensis 18

Phoenix dactylifera 20

Phoenix reclinata 22

Phoenix rupicola 26

Phoenix sylvestris 18

Phoenix theophrasti 20

Phoenix zeylanica

Pritchardia minor 29

Ravenea glauca 28

Ravenea rivularis 26

Ravenea robustior

Ravenea sambiranensis 26

Ravenea xerophila 26

Ravenea xerophila 26

Rhapis excelsa 24

Rhapis humilis 20

Rhapis laosensis 26

Rhapis multifidia 24

Rhapis subtitlus 26

Rhopalostylis sapida 26

Roystonea regia 26

Roystonea borenquenia 26

Sabal "riverside" 8

Sabal bermudana 20

Sabal 'Birmingham' 5

Sabal blackburnia 20

Sabal 'Brazoria 10

Sabal causerium 20

Sabal domingensis 20

Sabal etonia 20

Sabal maritima 20

Sabal mauritiaformis 24

Sabal mexicana 20

Sabal minor 12

Sabal minor louisiana 5

Sabal palmetto 16

Sabal parviflora 26

Sabal pumos 25

Sabal 'Riverside' 8

Sabal rosei 20

Sabal Tamaulipas 5

Sabal uresana 10

Sabal Xtexensis 20

Sabal yapa 26

Scheelea butryracea 26

Scheelea liebmanii 26

Schippia concolor 26

Serenoa repens 20

Serenoa repens ‘Azul' 20

Syagrus campicola

Syagrus comosa

Syagrus duartei

Syagrus flexuosa

Syagrus glaucescens

Syagrus harleyi 25

Syagrus pleioclada

Syagrus romanzoffiana 24

Syagrus sancona 26

Syagrus schizophylla 28

Syagrus yungasensis

Synechanthus fibrosus 26

Thrinax morrisii 26

Thrinax radiata 26

Thrinax radiata 26

Trachycarpus fortunei 10

Trachycarpus nanus 10

Trachycarpus princeps 20

Trachycarpus takil 10

Trithrinax campestris 20

Wallichia caryotoides 25

Wallichia densiflora 26

Wallichia disticha 24

Washingtonia filifera 16

Washingtonia robusta 20

Zombia antillaru 24

• rep_up.png

Hello everyone.

I was quickly skimming thru this thread and see that Cocos nucifera is included in this list with a cold tolerance of 26 but.....

Long story short...shouldnt we also include the temp range like extreme/highsun exposure, temperature, humidity and possibly soil temp to make a conclusion that plants will successfully but not necessarily robustly grow in SoCal or any place for that matter.

Any thoughts on this Comprehensive Hardiness List or Cold Tolerance/Heat & Humidity List?

Ritchy

Any list that has cocos(26F) more cold hardy than foxtails(27) is suspect. Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Hello everyone.

South Central Louisiana, Coastal InfluenceHardiness Zone 9a, Heat Zone 8, Sunset Zone 28

Ritchy

A hardiness rating hardly qualifies a plant to grow in a particular climate. The growing conditions throughout the year need to support a palm. In California, we do not have the right conditions to support a coconut because they require warm nights, heat and humidity.

According to PalmPedia, my garden is in the Mediterranean Foxtail/Coconut zone because I can successfully grow A. maxima and several other palms that require a zone 10a to survive. But that is just a hardiness consideration. If I had the right growing conditions when it's not freezing, then a coconut would grow successfully in my garden. But not only am I not able to grow coconut because of cool Summer nights, I am also not able to grow a foxtail. I get less freezes than most parts of South Florida and most of inland Southern California but I can't grow a large number of species that are lowland tropical types.

Bottom line is that that it takes a lot more to growing a tropical palm than having the right hardiness zone. Even the USDA zone 11a parts of California aren't humid enough to grow a coconut. Coconuts grow all the way up in USDA zone 10a in Florida, even partially USDA zone 9b.

Hello everyone.

South Central Louisiana, Coastal InfluenceHardiness Zone 9a, Heat Zone 8, Sunset Zone 28

Ritchy

Coconuts grow all the way up in USDA zone 10a in Florida, even partially USDA zone 9b.

The cocos I have seen survive in borderline 10a in florida are so ugly I doubt you would want one of those. A healthy queen looks better than an abused cocos... Cocos that are decent looking(not even perfect) are really in solid 10a or 10b and up.

Tom Blank

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with cold hardiness of Syagrus coronata?

How much cold hardy is Syagrus coronata?

Edited by Cikas

Ritchy that 26F is poppycock for cocos. Any lis tthat says cocos are more cold hardy than wodyetia(foxtail) is very suspect.

4.png

Disclaimers

Acanthophoenix rubra 20

Acrocomia media 25

Acrocomia totai 26

Adonia Merilli 25

Allagoptera arenaria 25

Allagopteria leucocalyx

Arenga caudata 27

Arenga micrantha 20

Attalea cohune 28 N

Attalea dubia 25

Attalea rostrata 27

Bactris mexicana 27

Bactris setosa 25

Bismarckia noblis 24

Borassus aethiopum 24

Brahea aculeata 24

Brahea armata 15

Brahea berlandieri 15

Brahea brandegeei 24

Brahea clara 24

Brahea decumbens 15

Brahea dulcis 15

Brahea dulcis 'Blue' 26

Brahea edulis 24

Brahea moorei 15

Brahea nitida 26

Brahea pimo 25

Brahea sarukhanii 25

Brahea 'Super Silver'

Burretiokentia hapala 28

Butia archeri 25

Butia arenicola

Butia bonetti 10

Butia capitata 15

Butia eriospatha 15

Butia microspadix

Butia odorata

Butia paraguayensis 15

Butia purpurascens 15

Butia yatay 15

Calamus caryotoides 26

Calamus usitatus 26

Caryota gigas 27

Caryota mitis 25

Caryota ochlandra 27

Caryota urens 29

Ceroxylon alpinum 26

Ceroxylon parvifrons 23

Ceroxylon quindiuense 26

Ceroxylon vogelianum 28

Chamaedora pumila 26

Chamaedorea elegans 26

Chamaedorea fragrans 27

Chamaedorea metalica 26

Chamaedorea oblongata 27

Chamaedorea oreophila 25

Chamaedorea plumosa 26

Chamaedorea radicalis 22

Chamaedorea seifrizii 26

Chamaerops humilis 16

Coccothrinax crinata 26

Cocos nucifera 26

Copernicia alba 26

Copernicia fallaense 26

Copernicia hospita 26

Corypha elata 26

Corypha umbraculifera 26

Cyphophoenix nucele 26

Dypsis baronii 28

Dypsis decaryi 27

Dypsis decipiens 26

Dypsis lutescens 25

Dypsis onilahensis 29

Encephalartos ferox 25

Euterpe edulis 30

Gastrococos crispa 26

Guihaia argyrata 20

Guihaia grossefibrosa 20

Howea forsteriana 28

Hyphaene coriacea 27

Hyphaene dichotoma 27

Juania australis 21

Jubaea chilensis 15

Jubaeopsis caffra 25

Licuala elegans 26

Licuala grandis 26

Licuala ramsayi 26

Licuala spinosa 26

Livistona australis 24

Livistona benthamii 24

Livistona carinensis 24

Livistona chinensis 24

Livistona decipiens 24

Livistona drudei 24

Livistona fulva 28

Livistona jenkinstana 26

Livistona mariae 25

Livistona muelleri 24

Livistona nitida 22

Livistona rigida 26

Livistona saribus 24

Livistona speciosa

Nannorrhops ritchiana 15

Normanbya normanbyi 26

Orbignya phalerata 26

Parajubaea cocoides 26

Parajubaea sunkha 25

Parajubaea torallyi 23

Phoenix acaulis 24

Phoenix canariensis 18

Phoenix dactylifera 20

Phoenix reclinata 22

Phoenix rupicola 26

Phoenix sylvestris 18

Phoenix theophrasti 20

Phoenix zeylanica

Pritchardia minor 29

Ravenea glauca 28

Ravenea rivularis 26

Ravenea robustior

Ravenea sambiranensis 26

Ravenea xerophila 26

Ravenea xerophila 26

Rhapis excelsa 24

Rhapis humilis 20

Rhapis laosensis 26

Rhapis multifidia 24

Rhapis subtitlus 26

Rhopalostylis sapida 26

Roystonea regia 26

Roystonea borenquenia 26

Sabal "riverside" 8

Sabal bermudana 20

Sabal 'Birmingham' 5

Sabal blackburnia 20

Sabal 'Brazoria 10

Sabal causerium 20

Sabal domingensis 20

Sabal etonia 20

Sabal maritima 20

Sabal mauritiaformis 24

Sabal mexicana 20

Sabal minor 12

Sabal minor louisiana 5

Sabal palmetto 16

Sabal parviflora 26

Sabal pumos 25

Sabal 'Riverside' 8

Sabal rosei 20

Sabal Tamaulipas 5

Sabal uresana 10

Sabal Xtexensis 20

Sabal yapa 26

Scheelea butryracea 26

Scheelea liebmanii 26

Schippia concolor 26

Serenoa repens 20

Serenoa repens ‘Azul' 20

Syagrus campicola

Syagrus comosa

Syagrus duartei

Syagrus flexuosa

Syagrus glaucescens

Syagrus harleyi 25

Syagrus pleioclada

Syagrus romanzoffiana 24

Syagrus sancona 26

Syagrus schizophylla 28

Syagrus yungasensis

Synechanthus fibrosus 26

Thrinax morrisii 26

Thrinax radiata 26

Thrinax radiata 26

Trachycarpus fortunei 10

Trachycarpus nanus 10

Trachycarpus princeps 20

Trachycarpus takil 10

Trithrinax campestris 20

Wallichia caryotoides 25

Wallichia densiflora 26

Wallichia disticha 24

Washingtonia filifera 16

Washingtonia robusta 20

Zombia antillaru 24

• rep_up.png

Hello everyone.

Ritchy

Any list that has cocos(26F) more cold hardy than foxtails(27) is suspect.

The list I posted years ago is definitely suspect. I researched over a dozen websites one would expect to be accurate and posted what I found. Those sites included PalmTalk, Palmpedia, Hardy Palm and Cycad Board, European Palm Society, Southeast Palm Society, Central Florida Palm Society, etc. I read 10s of list, and hundreds of posts. I spent weeks compiling it. In each case, I am sure that those temps were based on some experience somewhere, but not all experiences are equal. There are so many variables, as to make a list like that only the roughest guideline of possibilities.

As you alluded, cold in S. Florida and cold in California, and cold in Louisiana are 3 very different things. There is also the repetitiveness of the cold, too. Experiencing 26 one time is a very different matter than seeing 26 several times spread out over 3 months. A Coco that see 26 in California, but no warmth to recover for months may very well go roots up. Or, as happens in California, if survives the cold, but just never gets the heat seasonally to fully recover and declines slowly over the years till death. While the a Coco that sees 26 in S. Florida, but highs in the 80s for days afterward would recover fine. Here in Louisiana with our very wet winters, constant humidity, and yo-yo temperatures the Coco might give up the ghost while only seeing lows of 28. And don't even start with microclimates.

There will never be an all defining list, or an accurate one. The only list of what will grow in anyone's garden is the list of what is already growing in it, and have been there for a decade or two. Everything else is suspect.

Keith

• Upvote 1

It's very easy to come up with a better comprehensive list, all you need to add to the freeze rating is chill hours and heat hours required to bloom.

Chill hours = hours between 32F and 45F. For a coconut thst number is on the order of 20-30 max. Compare that to a ceroxylon quindiense, that has a tolerance range up to 1,500 at least.

Heat hours are around 4k to 5k,those are hours between 70F and 95F.

Also, freeze hours is a better measure. 25F will kill even a canary date palm if it's 30F for 36h to 48h or longer. It's a question of how long it takes for tissue to finally freeze.

Freeze hours are too hard to calculate, they're a function of temperature, cloud cover, wind and humidity.

Don't forget about size of palm and duration of cold as important factor s in your determination s.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Don't forget about size of palm and duration of cold as important factor s in your determination s.

And magic, too. Don't forget the magic dust.

these is the most commonly overlooked aspects of cold hardiness here on palmtalk. Lots of reports of unestablished seedlings croaking and people think that the cold hardiness has been established. A mature established palm is often several degrees more cold hardy, small palms enduring their first winter are typically tender. And then there are palms in pots, pretty much irrelevant to the intention of growing a mature palm. Add to that treatment after a cold snap. spear pull? was it treated properly or did it die of fungus infection and not cold?

Tom Blank

• 1 year later...

Its that time of year to talk about Cold Hardy.   I just ran across a new list online.   Always fun to review.

http://www.uspalms.com/page/417217662

Species                                  Common Name                     Min. Temp.            

Rhapidophyllum hystrix            Needle Palm                                  - 20   

Sabal  minor                             Dwarf  Palmetto                               - 5

Trachycarpus  takil                   Kumaon Palm                                  - 5

Serenoa  repens                      Saw  Palmetto                                  - 5

Trachycarpus  wagnerianus    Miniature Chusan Palm                    - 3

Trachycarpus  fortunei             Chusan Palm, Windmill                    0

Chamaerops  humillis              Mediterranean Fan Palm                  5

Trachycarpus martianus          Khasia Palm                                     5

Sabal etonia                             Scrub Palmetto                                 5

Sabal Palmetto                        Cabbage  Palmetto                           7

Trithrinax  campestris              Campestre  Palm                             7

Butia  capitata                           Pindo  Palm                                      8

Washingtonia  filifera                California Fan Palm                          8

Chamaedorea  radicalis           None                                                  9

Trithrinax  brasiliensis               None                                                 9  

Brahea  armata                         Blue Hesper Palm                          10

Trithrinax  acanthocoma           Spiny  Fibre  Palm                          10

Livistona  australis                    Australian Fan Palm                       10

Livistona  chinensis                  Chinese  Fan Palm                         12

Livistona  decipiens                  Weeping  Cabbage  Palm              12

Phoenix  dactylifera                  Date  Palm                                      12

Acrocomia  totai                       Gru  Gru  Palm                                12

Sabal    causiarum                   Puerto Rican  Hat  Palm                 14

Sabal  blackburuca                   None                                               14

Arenga  engieri                         Taiwan Arenga Palm                       15

Phoenix  canariensis                Canary  Island  Date                       16

Acoelorraphe  wrightii               Paurotis  Palm                                16

Washingtonia  robusta              Mexican  Fan  Palm                       16

Syagrus  romanzoffiana           Queen  Palm                                  17

Copernicia  alba                        Silver  Copernicia  Palm                18

Jubaea  chilensis                      Chilean  Wine  Palm                      18

Rhapis  exceisa                         Lady  Palm                                    18

Livistona  saribus                      Taraw  Palm                                  18

Phoenix  reclinata                     Phoenix  reclinata                           18

Corypha  elata                          Gebang  Palm                                 22

Hyphanene dichotoma              Doum  Palm                                   22

Bismarkia  noblis                      Bismarck                                        22

Dypsis  decaryi                         Peacock  Palm                              24

• Upvote 1

These lists are always a can of worms, every one of those temps could be accompanied by about five asterisk's detailing the conditions under which those temps are the minimum and how much damage can be expected.  Nevertheless, the list is a fairly good indicator of which species can demonstrate a lot of cold tolerance and should not be viewed as the absolute gospel of what each species can take. *Results may vary. 

• Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Jubaea are far more cold hardy than phoenix Cana. or Dact. We can grow jubaea without issue,  but both phoenix defoliate regularly during the winter and most die. Amazingly enough 20g jubaea (in pots above ground) didn't even burn here in 2010.

W. Robusta is at least 3-4 degrees hardier than any queen palm I have seen. Queens are impossible to grow to maturity in dfw regardless of microclimate.

All of these list vary greatly.   Many years ago, I compiled every list I could find, and info on places like PalmTalk and other of the cold-hardy boards.    I just reported the what appeared to be the most commonly reported low.   Even that was hotly contested.   As was stated above, it is far more than just temperature that factors in to survival in cost.   It is just fun to keep adding to the database.  I'll leave any further to the statisticians.

13 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Jubaea are far more cold hardy than phoenix Cana. or Dact. We can grow jubaea without issue,  but both phoenix defoliate regularly during the winter and most die. Amazingly enough 20g jubaea (in pots above ground) didn't even burn here in 2010.

W. Robusta is at least 3-4 degrees hardier than any queen palm I have seen. Queens are impossible to grow to maturity in dfw regardless of microclimate.

I saw the 18f for Jubaea and thought that it didn't sound right..  I realy need to get a few of these palms.. 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Small Jubaea can handle 12 degrees even covered in ice and snow. They considerably more cold hardy than the smaller butia catansaris you see grown in florida. The larger Butia odorata appear to be a more cold hardy species from what I have seen, but will still spear pull when <18F and covered in ice and snow for a few days if in a small container outside. Out of hundreds I've never had a small one spear pull from low temperature alone, even down to 15F.  

• Upvote 1