IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cindy Adair

The photo is courtesy of the previous owner of our farm who planted this majestic palm! I can't wait to see it later this month.

Sorry about small size of photo. I'll try to get it larger, but no time before work.

post-4111-0-67181600-1362143843.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

The photo is courtesy of the previous owner of our farm who planted this majestic palm! I can't wait to see it later this month.

Sorry about small size of photo. I'll try to get it larger, but no time before work.

Hi Cindy , since "so many" Astrocaryums have a common name of Murumuru, which Astrocaryum is yours ? Look fwd to a bigger pic, and yes I love astrocaryums, i only have Alatum and Ferrugineum which are both "very statement' looking palms. An astrocaryum Id love to be growing is A Chambira.. the pic in Harri Lorenzi book makes it a "must have' palm doesnt it. :) Pete

Good point Pete. I have no idea of the correct Latin name for this one. I would love to figure it out though.

This weekend I will look at Lorenzi's book and Palmpedia, rare palmseeds, Palmtalk's search engine, PACSOA, my other reference books and whatever google can suggest, but of course would always appreciate suggestions from the many experts here!

I'm still getting used to my new computer and finding the easiest way to resize photos sent by others...

Cindy Adair

I think this is better, at least if you click on it.

Plenty of Presence in this Palm Cindy, Don K ( amazondk) should recognize and be able to tell what Astrocaryum your beauty is..love it, I very much look fwd to my Astro Ferrugineum flowering and seeding, our large Alatum flowers but has not yet set seed. Pete :)

This thread reminded me of one not too long ago that I thought had great photos and even better info.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/33813-spotlight-on-astrocaryum/

Cindys answer is in this the above post Tim bumped..good bump reminder Tim :) Heres a pic of the base of ferrugineum with a 12'' tub for scale, come on baby start trunkn :)

post-5709-0-39763900-1362272091_thumb.jp

Here is my A.murumuru ex A,ulei...just starting to trunk (finally!)

post-42-0-81380500-1362303474_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Man, those Astros look deadly when wet. Daryl yours appears not to have spines on the trunking section, is this the go ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Mine still looks more like A. murumuru to me, but I'll be more sure when I can take many more seed photos in a few weeks.

Yes Wal, those spines are evil, but look great on the palm. This will not be a palm I'm tempted to hug for a photo! I'd like to see invading cattle TRY to munch on this one and maybe they'd swear off tasting my palms.

Cindy Adair

Mine still looks more like A. murumuru to me, but I'll be more sure when I can take many more seed photos in a few weeks.

Yes Wal, those spines are evil, but look great on the palm. This will not be a palm I'm tempted to hug for a photo! I'd like to see invading cattle TRY to munch on this one and maybe they'd swear off tasting my palms.

Cindy, thanks to Brazilian Flora by Lorenzi, your smaller hanging fruit resembles "very much" Astrocaryum rodriguesii ( page 59) or even Giganteum which has hanging small seed like rodriguesii...Cindy, didnt you post a pic of a Giganteum you had growing there back around mid 2011? have you another shot of the whole top of your seeding Astro?.... A Murumuru has quite large fruits held upright.. Pete :)

• 1 month later...

So here are a few more photos. I've looked at Lorenzi's book but STILL can't be sure what species I have. Maybe these new views will help. Maybe I should email Jeff Marcus? I know he's so busy filling orders from all of us after his new list though!

For those of you who have asked for seed, the previous owner of our farm has been so kind as to offer to send some to me when they are ripe. She plans to wait until a few fall to the ground unless someone out there has a better idea! I've read that some of this genus split when ripe and show yellow....

post-4111-0-86015600-1366648696_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-04683800-1366648846_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-09219600-1366648882_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-09523200-1366648972_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

I rub my face all over it :yay:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Cindy, now that more of your Astrocaryum is visible from your pics, I and Im certain Don K would agree yours is Astrocaryum aculeatum , heres a pic from Pacsoa site.

Murumuru has very flat leaflets not near plumose like aculeatum.

Daryl, Astro Ulei is still a valid botanical name which has a common name of Murumuru like so many Astrocaryums ( pic from Lorenzi book )

And Anyone that doesn't have the Beautiful Book Cindy and I are mentioning...Brazilian Flora ..Arecaceae..by Harri Lorenzi Get It :) Pete

post-5709-0-10609200-1366709170_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-51229400-1366709196_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-66893700-1366709226_thumb.jp

I certainly agree that my palm looks a great deal like the photos.

However, Lorenzi says A. aculeatum has an erect infructescence. He doesn't discuss the spine cross section except to say "flattened". My photo doesn't show it well but I'm pretty sure mine are triangular which he mentions under A. giganteum which has an arching infructesence.

A. rodriguesii says it has leaves in one plane and has a synonym of A. aculeatum with pendant infructescence.

I read about A. standleyanum elsewhere to but don't see that in Lorenzi's list. It looks a lot like mine too.

So I'm still not sure.

Cindy Adair

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have compared your images and those from palmpedia.net and this Astrocaryum seems to me more like A. standleyanum.

Is that possible?

Regards

Andrew

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

Yes Andrew, I think it's possible, but as usual must defer to those who know this genus. This is the only one I have!

Cindy Adair

Those are very nice pics... But I think Pete is right about that thing not bieng an murumuru.

The murumuru looks like this i believe..

post-6784-0-20530500-1378434639_thumb.jp

I don't think it is murumuru. I was told that by the person who planted my tree, but I don't think mine looks like the photos either. So I think the topic name of this thread is incorrect. Sorry.

Cindy Adair