IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Cold Hardy Palm Topic Ever

PALM MOD

That title was just a trick to get you guys to read this message.

Doesn't anyone read the pinned topics? There have been 8 topics so far in this new forum, and only 3 have been tagged. Please fill in the "Topic Tag" that appears after the "Topic Title" when you start the topic. As I have mentioned on several occasions, if you don't, and we close this forum in the future, all the topics without tags will be lost among all the other regular palm topics. If you tag them as "Cold Hardy" they will always be easily available in a separate Cold Hardy list.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Another new topic added with no tag. :(

Dean, no offense but tagging doesn't really process here. It's kind of like telling people "if you start a thread in the travel section I need you to type "pickle" somewhere in the contents". I never use tags and would forget to add them anyway even if asked. Not out of spite but because its just not part of my posting ritual. Now if every new thread in all forums had tag requirements it might become rote for posters. But because this is the only location you request this, people just will forget to it or need to be continually hounded. I am not saying to stop trying Dean :) Just saying it will take continual work on your end to get the party started.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I never use tags and would forget to add them anyway even if asked. Not out of spite but because its just not part of my posting ritual.

So, you are not willing to alter your "posting ritual" to try something new that would help improve the Forum? We used to have another field (sub-title) right after the Topic Title - right where the tag field is now - and no one forgot to fill that in. But replace it with a worthwhile field called something else - and it becomes an inconvenience???

I've learned that many people hate it when they have to do anything different on their computer. But I thought you realized that when this happens it is usually because it offers some kind of an advantage. Maybe not apparent at first, but after you try it, and become acquainted with using it, you then understand.

• Upvote 1

sorry dean i will..but i have to figure out how to do it...my english is sometimes not good enough to understand everything quickly...but i will tag!

sorry dean i will..but i have to figure out how to do it...my english is sometimes not good enough to understand everything quickly...but i will tag!

No Problem Esther - you have an excuse I can understand.

BTW - I have added "Cold Hardy" as a pre-defined tag for this forum. So just clicking in the field offers the choice to click on "Cold Hardy." So if two clicks is just too much effort, I give up.

• Upvote 1

I never use tags and would forget to add them anyway even if asked. Not out of spite but because its just not part of my posting ritual.

So, you are not willing to alter your "posting ritual" to try something new that would help improve the Forum? We used to have another field (sub-title) right after the Topic Title - right where the tag field is now - and no one forgot to fill that in. But replace it with a worthwhile field called something else - and it becomes an inconvenience???

I've learned that many people hate it when they have to do anything different on their computer. But I thought you realized that when this happens it is usually because it offers some kind of an advantage. Maybe not apparent at first, but after you try it, and become acquainted with using it, you then understand.

Of course i would change but like I said many wont or many simply wont read the requirements of the forum before posting because the many other forums they are on don't have tag requirements. They will just add threads per the norm everywhere else they post. I am telling you it will take some time to make this a ritual for all. You have your work cut out for you. I can see your frustration already and don't want to see you have a break down yet :).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len

Old dogs can"t learn new tricks! Are you an old dog?

Randy

I won't be old even when 70!!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

i'm just sayin

poop1_zpsb78879d7.png

poop2_zpsbd49e3c0.png

• Upvote 1

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Wow, good for you man. You figured out Dean added in the drop down which wasn't there before. So yeah it is easier. Lets see if it is always used. Hope so.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hey, nice work typing and stuff. I don't know, I just wanted to say something too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey, nice work typing and stuff. I don't know, I just wanted to say something too.

Glad it wasn't condescending.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

yeah, you, because, when you, um...

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dean on a side note did you take a snap shot of post counts, threads, etc when you started the CH forum? Just wanted to see if you are comparing new threads in the forums and active post to get an idea if this CH section is working or failing.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

If that's the way it's going to be I am dropping off another Mensa gopher in your yard. Take that.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Dean on a side note did you take a snap shot of post counts, threads, etc when you started the CH forum? Just wanted to see if you are comparing new threads in the forums and active post to get an idea if this CH section is working or failing.

I will have a count of total posts in this forum, but there is no real way to know if the Main Forum was cannibalized, since those stats aren't kept month to month - just overall. But I will have a total post and topic count for PalmTalk month by month and can tell if overall topics and posts are up. Since we are committed to 6 months, that should give us something to go on.

If that's the way it's going to be I am dropping off another Mensa gopher in your yard. Take that.

Len, Maybe you would use a "Snark" tag if I added that as well. :)

Can you tag postings in a specific topic, or just when you start a new topic?

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Can you tag postings in a specific topic, or just when you start a new topic?

Only a topic can be tagged. And only when started or shortly thereafter.

To tag within the permitted time after you post the topic (only for the originator of the topic) --- Go to the first post of the topic, click edit, then click Full Editor.

I am a big fan of the drop down menu that offers the "cold hardy" selection. Is there a way to add some other standardized climate/growing description selections as well? Maybe like "clay" or "sandy loam", "Mediteranian" etc.

Also is there a way to require putting something in the tag area or it doesn't let you post.....like a required field.

Also....can you tag my "Alicehunter2000 Beach Party by Ken Johnson" topic with the "Cold Hardy" tag please.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I nominate "Winter-Protection" (not for the average person)

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1618-winter-protection-?hl=palmscraper#entry24417

I believe there was another one from Bobby where the palmscraper term was coined. I couldn't find it.

Sorry Dean, you tricked me twice :rolleyes:

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I am a big fan of the drop down menu that offers the "cold hardy" selection. Is there a way to add some other standardized climate/growing description selections as well? Maybe like "clay" or "sandy loam", "Mediteranian" etc.

Also is there a way to require putting something in the tag area or it doesn't let you post.....like a required field.

Also....can you tag my "Alicehunter2000 Beach Party by Ken Johnson" topic with the "Cold Hardy" tag please.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 2 weeks later...

i'm just sayin

poop1_zpsb78879d7.png

poop2_zpsbd49e3c0.png

Brilliant !!! Don't fret Dean, I am tagging every new thread I post cold hardy so it will make you happy :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After not having posted here for a few years, the first thing I noticed was the ability to tag.   I immediately that it was awesome.  Being a heavy social media user and a bit of an expert on using it for marketing purposes, I know the importance of tagging.  It immediately makes anything searchable.  Sort of like auto indexing.  Great gob on finally implementing that.   Please do continue to try and change old habits.  New and better tech is always around and I'm a big fan of taking advantage of putting it to good use.    Now if only we could get this forum to support emojis!