IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Cold Hardiness

Neofolis

Dypsis Cold Hardiness  

62 members have voted

1. 1.

• Dypsis andrianatonga
    • Dypsis albofarinosa
    • Dypsis ambositrae
    • Dypsis ankaizanensis
    • Dypsis baronii
    • Dypsis decipiens
    • Dypsis heteromorpha
    • Dypsis onilahensis
    • Dypsis psammophila
    • Dypsis tsaravoasira

I think it's cool tolerance is a fluke as it grows well in NZ,

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone, Which palm are you talking about?

cheers

Richard

Tyrone, Which palm are you talking about?

cheers

Richard

Dypsis plumosa

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

D saintelucei should do well for you then. It's slow here but a consistent grower. Am I right?

Best regards

Tyrone

If only I could find seeds or plants to try!

cheers

Richard

• 2 months later...

We had a strange winter, what with a night that hit -2 at the beginning and end, plus a week of nights at or near freezing, plus a night of near-freezing rain, and a bit of frost.

Dypsis decaryi suffered limited leaf browning.

Dypsis lutescens (in a neighbor's yard) suffered lots of browned leaves. Still looks kind of ratty.

Dypsis carlsmithii under oak canopy suffered no damage at all. It's rather slow growing, but makes a beautiful trunkless specimen

Dypsis plumosa (fine leaf) under an open sky but surrounded by other palms, no damage.

For comparison

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, open sky, no damage

Archontophoenix tuckeri, open sky, one plant of three suffered minor leaf browning.

Carpentaria acuminata (one of two plants, open sky) suffered minor leaf brownng.

Satakentia liukiuensis (2 plants, open sky) suffered serious leaf damage.

Coccothrinax argentata, the Florida native, with a bit of shelter, undamaged.

Ptychosperma elegans, undamaged

Acoelorraphe, undamaged

Assorted Chamaedoreas, undamaged.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 10 months later...

I don't know much about some of those palms, and all I have is seedlings.. .but I can tell you in the seedlng category, even Dypsis decipiens, the 'king' of cold here in So Cal, is a wimp compared to D saintluceii. D albofarinosa, ambositrae and baronii are certainly not the most cold tolerant as all those are dead after my latest freeze. D lutescens in mostly dead, and D carlsmithii is partly dead... but none of my 4 D saintluceis were even burned. Dypsis decipiens was burned badly, but will live.

I never forgot this phrase: ´´...... but none of my 4 D saintluceis were even burned. Dypsis decipiens was burned badly, but will live.........

I know that that I need some D.saintlucei.....:drool::drool::drool:

How cold/frost hardy were this palms last winters?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

These two D. decaryi grow next to a narrow wall supporting the passenger loading canopy outside the Houston Marriott Westchase hotel. The area has seen two consecutive winters with minimums of 20F and 21F and each having four nights below 25F, with a nasty freezing rain this February. These two however are shielded from the North by that little wall. There used to be two more growing next to the other canopy wall and exposed to the North. Both had about 3 feet of clear trunk but didn't survive even the first of these winters.

post-3501-026884900 1314670136_thumb.jpg

post-3501-002066900 1314670150_thumb.jpg

Since I first got into palms I have wondered what ever happened to that exact same Triangle palm in Houston, I saw it years ago and it looked healthy, but since then we've had some wicked freezes. Ahhh.. i feel like one of life's greatest mysteries has been answered. THANKS!

Since I first got into palms I have wondered what ever happened to that exact same Triangle palm in Houston, I saw it years ago and it looked healthy, but since then we've had some wicked freezes. Ahhh.. i feel like one of life's greatest mysteries has been answered. THANKS!

Anytime! I stay in that hotel a few times a year, so I know every palm on the propertyrolleyes.gif

Don't have dicipiens yet but have a number of baronii's in the ground. It was a bad winter with a half dozen frosts or so but the Dypsis baronii's did'nt really notice...no effects.

I've seen D. baroniis in San Francisco. Was surprised at that.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

• 2 years later...

My votes:

Dypsis ambositrae (true form, not plumosa or kindreo) - 27F exposed
Dypsis ankaizanensis - 27F? Does it exist in cultivation?
Dypsis baronii - 28F exposed
Dypsis decipiens - 22F exposed
Dypsis heteromorpha - 27F exposed
Dypsis onilahensis - 27F exposed
Dypsis psammophila - 28-29F under canopy only
Dypsis tsaravoasira - 29F under canopy only?

Betafaka appears to have potential to handle dips into the mid to high twenties with some overhead protection.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't found one yet that can survive south eastern US zone 9a, but I have killed several trying. Got one out there right now, waiting to die this winter.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Decipiens can Keith, its just a matter of getting one in a spot its happy in.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Decipiens can Keith, its just a matter of getting one in a spot its happy in.

I lost one in 2010, but then that was not a usual winter for sure. I have another out there right now, in the best microclimate one will ever get here. We will see.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith - did you mound plant it? It may not have been the cold. You need really excllent drainage for Dypsis decipiens, especially with the amount of rain you get in the rainy season. Try mound planting your next one.

We just don't have enough cool weather here in South Florida for them to be happy.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Keith - did you mound plant it? It may not have been the cold. You need really excllent drainage for Dypsis decipiens, especially with the amount of rain you get in the rainy season. Try mound planting your next one.

We just don't have enough cool weather here in South Florida for them to be happy.

I did indeed mound plant it, and along a wall with a gable end that stays plenty dry. If anything, too dry. But also, probably too hot. Here is would likely prefer the north side of the house in summer, but the south side in winter. A no-win proposition here, but what the heck, it was a gift.

I have mine on the NW side of my house. Its not mound planted but I planted it directly into a mix of stone and gravel, very little soil around the base. Its also planted relatively near the pool deck which helps to modulate temps and probably soil pH or something like that. Cold and frost hasnt been an issue for this one for me.

-Krishna

• 3 months later...

I have the following dypsis doing fine in Gainesville, Florida, which has a northern Florida climate similar to Keith's in southern Louisiana or anywhere along the northern Gulf coast (generally warm and sunny all winter, but a few freeze events each year which can go as low as 18 Fahrenheit):

- Dypsis Decipiens

- Dypsis Saintelucei

- Dypsis Mahajanga

All are doing fine. I seem to recall that they have had a couple of nights at around 26 degrees F and one night in the low twenties. If I recall correctly, they also saw a night of 18 degrees F at one point, soon after they went into the ground. They have been in the ground for at least 2 years, and possibly 3.

If it is only going to be 26 F, I don't bother covering them. I never provide additional heat. They are under canopy but are not near any house walls.

My dypsis decipiens was purchased as a 7 gallon and has not grown much, but it is surviving and thriving. It doesn't get our full summer humidity because it planted in a fairly shaded location. Our night-time cool-downs in summer here are MUCH cooler than what it had been tolerating down in its native Miami, where I bought it. It obviously had grown accustomed to the Miami tropical climate, far too hot for it in summer and rarely any significant cold at all in winter.

My dypsis decipiens is mounded up on a high-draining hill. I am scared of what it will do when it discovers that it has clay soil deep underneath.

Does anyone know where in Florida or Georgia I could purchase the white crownshaft form of a dypsis decipiens? Mine is the green crownshaft form. By reputation, the white crownshaft form is much faster growing, yet allegedly less cold-tolerant. Does anyone know whether this is truth or legend?

From what I've heard D. Pembana is supposed to be pretty hardy Lutecens supposedly a little more so? Has anyone had experience with these two in Florida in zone 9a/b? I seen Pembana at Naples BG and it's gorgeous, I've never seen Lutescens but I think I read that it is often confused with Lutescens based on appearance and that Lutescens is a bit hardier? I have a nice sized Decipiens that has done quite well here in Florida in a pot, perhaps the ground is a different story as some have stated here's a pic of it for fun :) nice bifurcated trunk on her as well :)

post-9514-0-80210300-1390397114_thumb.jp

Edited by Palmdude

Sandy Loam, I'm going to ask the gentleman that I got my Decipiens from if he remembers the people he got it from, I know he said they were in Central Florida somewhere, he told me the other day, maybe I can track one down for you and a couple of other folks who have PM'd me regarding the specimen that I have :) cross your fingers! I'm going over there today to do four hours of weeding at the nursery in exchange for another rare palm, then I have another 20 hours to cross everything else off my list! Will work for rare palms!!!! Lol

Might as well post this too, this is the palm I worked for yesterday, it's unmarked and palm talkers believe that it is D. Utilis. As long as were talking about hardiness this palm saw 33f with light frost last week and 32 last year under light canopy. Cabadae and Lasteliana were right next to it as well :)

post-9514-0-64787400-1390398148_thumb.jp

Thanks, Palmdude. You just reminded me of something....

When talking about what Dypsis I have been growing, I forgot to mention a small Dypsis Lastelliana. I only paid $3.00 for it and I really don't care about it, so I never protect it. It has seen some low overnight temperatures over the past couple of years, but I think it's a freak accident. It's not supposed to be surviving 21 degrees without any damage.

• 1 year later...

So, whatever happened to Sebastian?

Im back but forgot my details years ago for my Sebastian account, so new name well kinda new, recently got bitten again by the garden and palm bug, but I'm in temperate climate now (Coastal Victoria)

PS. I just needed an excuse to bump this thread as was re reading it….

Any updates on this topic?

new info?

Edited by pigafetta

Dypsis decipiens is still chugging along in my 9a with no protection... Now it has 2 growing points!

-Krishna

Krishna, is your D. decipiens planted where it would be exposed to frost? I'd like to give this species a try and your success is highly affirming. I doubt our winters are colder than yours, but we are quite exposed and thus have frost more often than folks with trees.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

It is planted between our pool and pond but has no overhead canopy. I put a pillowcase over it in 2010 to protect it from frost when it was small but nothing since then.

-Krishna

Excellent, good to know. I will get some and give them a try.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I have to attribute my success to planting it in rock rather than soil. I back filled the planting hole with granite chips.

-Krishna