IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some cold hardy palms

Jimhardy

On July 11, 2016 at 11:40:31 AM, Opal92 said:

This inspires me. If you can do this way up there, then I shouldn't be that afraid to try a more tropical palm like a queen or something that's only about 1 zone less cold hardy than me. So much possibility when you're willing to care for them like that.

I think the difference is queens can easily top 40ft lol

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

I think the difference is queens can easily top 40ft lol

I have some ideas (; Of course there are many others that are at an easier height. The thing is, in my opinion, the queen is a classic palm that screams the tropics (especially compared to a mundane sabal filled zone 8 landscape). If I were to choose a really tropical looking palm (being large enough to make a statement), the queen would be the best because of it's cold hardiness (say compared to a royal, coconut, majesty palm etc..). For my zone 8b winters, it usually gets no more than 5 degrees colder than what a mature queen can take, so I think something like a mounted heat light or two could keep it going enough to not completely die. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah,if you could keep the growth point

warm it would at least be able to recover

(if needed)nicely in your long warm season.

One issue I dealt with this spring is the

dead trunks of these palms which can be a pain

to remove even though the ones I "let go" were small.