Sign in to follow this  
Kailua_Krish

Cold hardy substitutes

Kailua_Krish

So we all have those tropical palms we've seen and had to have, but sadly they won't survive your freezes. What do you use instead? Here are some of mine:

Coconut- Mule palm

Royal- Queen palm

Cocothrinax/Thrinax- Chamaerops/Trachycarpus

What others can you think of?

-Krishna

JakeK

For my area, in order to get a more tropical look we have to use plants like Musa basjoo, Yucca thompsonsiana x rostrata, Yucca rostrata, Cannas, ginger, castor oil plant, Aucuba, etc.

sonoranfans

more cocoid hybrids: butjubaea, butia x parajubaea, and yes even syagrus x jubaea is a gorgeous tropical looking palm. all should be good to 8b and substitute for cocos or royals... I like these for my yard without needing their cold hardiness...

Kailua_Krish

Sabal causiarum for Borassus?

Kailua_Krish

Butia for some of the interesting Ravenea?

Palmə häl′ik

Somebody needs to throw a big B.alfredii in full frost conditions, cuz I know seedlings can't take it, so those aren't as cold hardy as the hype leads everyone to believe....

I lost many, many lil uns a few years back...

- Ray.

Palmə häl′ik

I wish they were tho, the coco look is there yakno...

sonoranfans

Sabal causiarum for Borassus?

yes, causiarum, the grandest sabal of them all! A magnificent palm in any zone... probably good to zone 8a

Kailua_Krish

They have a Causiarum in the Atlanta botanical garden, don't they?

-Krishna

sonoranfans

Somebody needs to throw a big B.alfredii in full frost conditions, cuz I know seedlings can't take it, so those aren't as cold hardy as the hype leads everyone to believe....

I lost many, many lil uns a few years back...

- Ray.

Ray,

I think 2010 did them in eh? If only they had made it past a few winters before they got that one. My alfredii(3) are doing great, one was out in the open and completely defoliated with 2 hard frosts in 2010. It came back nicely, sits at 5'+ overall today.. But alfredii are needing more data to understand their cold hardiness. the best coconut substitue Ive seen is butia x parajubaea cocoides... a very tropical looking palm.

Palmə häl′ik

YesSir.

The way I see it B.alfrediis a z10 palm.

If it can't take frost from the get go, its not "cold hardy".

Kailua_Krish

My alfrediis do well but are under heavy canopy.

-Krishna

Palmə häl′ik

Right. But the real test is to put em out in the open. Unprotected, yaknow. Theres plenty of palms that will make it under canopy.

sonoranfans

YesSir.

The way I see it B.alfrediis a z10 palm.

If it can't take frost from the get go, its not "cold hardy".

then take sabal domingensis off the list, cant take frost as a strapper... Come to think of it that would take a whole bunch of palms off the zone 9b list.

Kailua_Krish

Same for many of the colder zones. Protection from tress and buildings is key.

-Krishna

Kailua_Krish

Just got a Sabal uresana from the SFPS sale at Montgomery. Good replacement for a bizmarkia? I've heard of them doing well up in Augusta and such!

-Krishna

Gallop

Krishna, what size S uresana did you get? I wonder if anyone has any larger plants for sale? I've saw a couple 15gals available a couple years back.

Kailua_Krish

5 gallon from Faith Bishock, she may have larger sizes though, i didnt ask. There was a larger one from another seller but it didn't have the blue coloring and looked suspiciously like another sabal species.

-Krishna

Edited by krishnaraoji88

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      My trunking Brazoria, after 7 or 8 years in the ground, has decided it’s time to flower! It has really big fronds and grows under the much taller Trachy so they kind of set each other off…no other Brazorias I know of in my area, so I’ll probably cut the spike when fully extended to direct energy into growing. Really has been a journey with this one…touch and go winter of 2014-15 but here it is today growing like a tortoise…but I do love this palm…watch it send that flower spike out like a lightning bolt and the next frond out like an emerging stalactite…

• Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      I am having trouble with differentiating between Sabal x brazoria and Sabal x texensis 'Brazoria' , can someone tell me what makes them different and how different they really are? (Or if they're the same?)
    • Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      Hello everyone, so I haven’t seen a lot of coverage of this nature defying experiment but some of the In n Out burger chain restaurants that are new to Colorado have installed the iconic crossed palm trees at some of their locations such as this one of Constitution Ave. in Colorado Springs (Zone 5b\6a). These Sabal palmettos appear to have large gauge pipe heating cables rapped around the trunk and close to the crown. I’m also told they have coiled heat cables in the ground around the roots. They are left completely out in the open, and appear to have been planted in October 2021 (which I think is a terrible time). I don’t know the specific minimum temperature they endured this past winter but I know it was in the single digits on multiple occasions. Our past winter here was extremely dry. We didn’t have any moisture whatsoever from September 2021 to almost January 1st, 2022.  
      Winters are cold here in Colorado! I hope that they were able to make the winter and maybe we could see some growth soon. I would guess the heat cables are kept on 24/7. When I put my hand on the cable it was very warm. The days in Colorado are very warm I don’t think that’s the problem it’s the constantly below freezing nightly winter temps that worry me, they look pretty bad after this past winter. I also know that the In n Out in Thornton (Northern suburb of Denver) also has Sabals planted. I’m curious if anyone has more information, and also what you guys have to say about this incredible sight in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains Ha! Have a look, there’s also yuccas planted in the foreground nearby, my guess is Yucca faxoniana. Thanks guys

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Here in NOVA, the old adage for March, in like a lion, out like a lamb...well, this year, seems more like old man winter stole the end of the month and froze the lamb...windy, mid- twenties tonight and low twenties tomorrow night. Good thing day temps will be in the forties...maybe it’ll freeze some of the  “gumballs” just forming on my sweetgum tree in my front yard...this past season, the tree produced more spiny gumballs than any year in the 30-years we’ve been here. Not to mention the wind that has scattered them to places far and wide, never reached before...but our northern visitors, the juncos and other beautiful sparrows that arrive every fall from Canada to feast on the sweetgum’s millions of tiny seeds, they couldn’t be happier...The tree serves a purpose, but what a mess! Ask the northern migrants and they’ll tell me to mind my own business...
      Palms should be fine but the Medi. has suffered this past winter...weird sort of dieback on the fronds...not fried on the established fronds but fried on the emerging ones...some of the established ones are just turning yellow/brown and looking bad. They are indeed finished, but it’s a shed it’s never had in it’s 7-years in-ground. Summer will tell the story. Maybe I’ll go back to protecting it this winter. I really like that palm.
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Excellent cold hardy palm...somewhat protected needle under a holly tree...

Unprotected needle just as cold hardy but has suffered some segment tip damage. It’s been plastered to the ground three times this winter.

Had an umbrella over the medi all winter and knew I was pulling it a bit early. It’s not used to this kind of direct hit. However, the pup on the left side has looked far better than the larger parent this winter...uniformly green while the parent culled several fronds and has a few more It’s going to kill. A bit concerned as it has a yellowish look but maybe it’s making room for new fronds coming out. I did fertilize all my palms Saturday...maybe a bit early but my zone’s last freeze estimate is mid April so it should be ok.