IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The survive of the Trachycarpus fortunei

Texeltropics

I have one big trachy in my backyard. He is there for many years. In all these years different things happend. We started with winter from -1/-2 celsius, last 2 winter where as you know -10/-17 celsius.

My palm was damaged by the last -17 celsius but it totaly recovered. Next pics will show you the same trachycarpus after different circumstances. The pic with the leaf shows how its folts together when it freezes...it is protecting himself against the frost by this way.

Last picture shows the severe leafburn after the -17. It totaly recovered from it, like this never happend.

post-1108-0-01197000-1362045689_thumb.jp

post-1108-0-48153300-1362045707_thumb.jp

post-1108-0-38010700-1362045726_thumb.jp

post-1108-0-78375500-1362045737_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Truly amazing esther, and just beautiful with the snow on the leaflets...A tropical looking escape in your backyard in summer. Perhaps you could talk of seasonal growth in summer. With your latitude you must have very long days and short nights. At first glance one might think you would have fast summer growth, but I know that darnkess is also required for growth. How old is your trachy and from what size was it put in the ground?

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Nice!

They certainly get tougher as they get bigger-they just have to make it through their childhood years-LOL