Sign in to follow this  
Texeltropics

The survive of the Trachycarpus fortunei

Texeltropics

I have one big trachy in my backyard. He is there for many years. In all these years different things happend. We started with winter from -1/-2 celsius, last 2 winter where as you know -10/-17 celsius.

My palm was damaged by the last -17 celsius but it totaly recovered. Next pics will show you the same trachycarpus after different circumstances. The pic with the leaf shows how its folts together when it freezes...it is protecting himself against the frost by this way.

Last picture shows the severe leafburn after the -17. It totaly recovered from it, like this never happend.

post-1108-0-01197000-1362045689_thumb.jp

post-1108-0-48153300-1362045707_thumb.jp

post-1108-0-38010700-1362045726_thumb.jp

post-1108-0-78375500-1362045737_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

sonoranfans

Truly amazing esther, and just beautiful with the snow on the leaflets...A tropical looking escape in your backyard in summer. Perhaps you could talk of seasonal growth in summer. With your latitude you must have very long days and short nights. At first glance one might think you would have fast summer growth, but I know that darnkess is also required for growth. How old is your trachy and from what size was it put in the ground?

Jimhardy

Nice!

They certainly get tougher as they get bigger-they just have to make it through their childhood years-LOL

Grasswing

Nice! I wanna try this experiment in Czech Republic too...