Caryota_gigas

Cold hardy palm videos

Caryota_gigas

Cool a new forum, will this rival EPS as the new Cold hardy palm resource? Time will tell I guess.

Anyway I will show my support by posting a few vids of palms that will take more cold than most... cold hardy?... I will let you decide.

Chamaerops humilis var. argentea

Caryota_gigas

Southern most palm in the world, that must qualify.

Chatham Island Rhopalostylis sapida

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      I am having trouble with differentiating between Sabal x brazoria and Sabal x texensis 'Brazoria' , can someone tell me what makes them different and how different they really are? (Or if they're the same?)
    • Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      Hello everyone, so I haven’t seen a lot of coverage of this nature defying experiment but some of the In n Out burger chain restaurants that are new to Colorado have installed the iconic crossed palm trees at some of their locations such as this one of Constitution Ave. in Colorado Springs (Zone 5b\6a). These Sabal palmettos appear to have large gauge pipe heating cables rapped around the trunk and close to the crown. I’m also told they have coiled heat cables in the ground around the roots. They are left completely out in the open, and appear to have been planted in October 2021 (which I think is a terrible time). I don’t know the specific minimum temperature they endured this past winter but I know it was in the single digits on multiple occasions. Our past winter here was extremely dry. We didn’t have any moisture whatsoever from September 2021 to almost January 1st, 2022.  
      Winters are cold here in Colorado! I hope that they were able to make the winter and maybe we could see some growth soon. I would guess the heat cables are kept on 24/7. When I put my hand on the cable it was very warm. The days in Colorado are very warm I don’t think that’s the problem it’s the constantly below freezing nightly winter temps that worry me, they look pretty bad after this past winter. I also know that the In n Out in Thornton (Northern suburb of Denver) also has Sabals planted. I’m curious if anyone has more information, and also what you guys have to say about this incredible sight in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains Ha! Have a look, there’s also yuccas planted in the foreground nearby, my guess is Yucca faxoniana. Thanks guys

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Here in NOVA, the old adage for March, in like a lion, out like a lamb...well, this year, seems more like old man winter stole the end of the month and froze the lamb...windy, mid- twenties tonight and low twenties tomorrow night. Good thing day temps will be in the forties...maybe it’ll freeze some of the  “gumballs” just forming on my sweetgum tree in my front yard...this past season, the tree produced more spiny gumballs than any year in the 30-years we’ve been here. Not to mention the wind that has scattered them to places far and wide, never reached before...but our northern visitors, the juncos and other beautiful sparrows that arrive every fall from Canada to feast on the sweetgum’s millions of tiny seeds, they couldn’t be happier...The tree serves a purpose, but what a mess! Ask the northern migrants and they’ll tell me to mind my own business...
      Palms should be fine but the Medi. has suffered this past winter...weird sort of dieback on the fronds...not fried on the established fronds but fried on the emerging ones...some of the established ones are just turning yellow/brown and looking bad. They are indeed finished, but it’s a shed it’s never had in it’s 7-years in-ground. Summer will tell the story. Maybe I’ll go back to protecting it this winter. I really like that palm.
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Excellent cold hardy palm...somewhat protected needle under a holly tree...

Unprotected needle just as cold hardy but has suffered some segment tip damage. It’s been plastered to the ground three times this winter.

Had an umbrella over the medi all winter and knew I was pulling it a bit early. It’s not used to this kind of direct hit. However, the pup on the left side has looked far better than the larger parent this winter...uniformly green while the parent culled several fronds and has a few more It’s going to kill. A bit concerned as it has a yellowish look but maybe it’s making room for new fronds coming out. I did fertilize all my palms Saturday...maybe a bit early but my zone’s last freeze estimate is mid April so it should be ok. 

• MonkeDonkezz
      By MonkeDonkezz
      Hello PalmTalk!
      There is going to be a short introduction first.
      My name is Yahor though I prefer you call me by my username and I am from Staten Island, a borough of NYC.
      I don't feel comfy telling people my age, but I am 12-16 years old.
      I first got my interest in palms when visiting Jacksonville Florida last year.
      I want to start growing them.
      So the reason I am making this post is something that has caught my eye for a while.  According to Wikipedia, on the page about NYC's climate, the climate data graphs and classifications section show that  areas of NYC might be in zone 8a.
      LaGuardia has 11 F (-12 C) as the minimum for January.
      Belvedere Castle in Central Park  has 9.8 F (-12.3 C) as the minimum.
      JFK has 10 F (-12) as the minimum.
      Sorry if the pictures look bad
      I find the emotes on the forum funny