Sign in to follow this  
trioderob

"over 100 pounds of fertilizer a year for a Copernicia" ............

trioderob

Ken said that a large trunking Copernicia takes 100 lb per year

got 20 of them- better have a ton of fert ready

Jesus thats alot....................... :bemused:

Y'all think Copernicia might be big? No. They are potentially HUGE! This is one of the biggest of the fan palms so give it the respect it deserves. Full sun. pH a tad high, water like crazy, and at maturity? it needs over 100 pounds of fertilizer a year in my soils!

Edited by trioderob

Jeff Searle

OK, but that's in his specific growing conditions. Up the road here in broward county, I have a completely different soil, which requires a lot less.

sonoranfans

Kens soil is wet rocky soil, so it might need more as the fertilizer may be constantly diffusing(he uses a nutricote type time release). It also could be the best soil for these as it is slightly alkaline, naturally. Still, these palms are fertilizer pigs. In my sandy soil I learned to dump it on the hard way, by getting a potassium deficiency on my first one. Each soil may be a little different. I put down 12-15 hand fulls each of florikan palm special 4 times a year and mine are juveniles... So far, no signs of K deficiency from that treatment, and they are on the march. Clay soils should be less fertilizer dependent as fertilizer is not rinsed from them very quickly. Bottom line is that if you see Kens copernicias in the ground, you will ask how do I get them to look like that? :yay:

DoomsDave

Ken's soil isn't rocky, it's rock.

• Upvote 1

sonoranfans

Nah Dave, there is dirt there, and water, in between the rocks, seen it myself... I would say I'd never try to dig it with a shovel... :floor:

• Upvote 1

LJG

Nah Dave, there is dirt there, and water, in between the rocks, seen it myself... I would say I'd never try to dig it with a shovel... :floor:

Lets just say *if* I had a palm I purchased from Ken, and lets just say *if* somehow it ended up in my yard - then I know what you mean. I would imagine it would take four guys and a big dolly to carry a limestone rootball to your back yard. Of course thats *if* i know what you mean B)

• Upvote 1

Ken Johnson

Lets just say *if* I had a palm I purchased from Ken, and lets just say *if* somehow it ended up in my yard - then I know what you mean. I would imagine it would take four guys and a big dolly to carry a limestone rootball to your back yard. Of course thats *if* i know what you mean B)

I guess a rock or two can make its way out there even if you indeed did not buy one from me...and it would come with the pH adjusted.

• Upvote 1

sonoranfans

"Lets just say *if* I had a palm I purchased from Ken, and lets just say *if* somehow it ended up in my yard - then I know what you mean. I would imagine it would take four guys and a big dolly to carry a limestone rootball to your back yard. Of course thats *if* i know what you mean B)"

Yup, or a bobcat if the 4 guys and a dolly cant do it... On the bright side, as Ken says, you get free alkaline pH adjusting limestone rock for your copernicia, ensuring that it gets a good start...

Edited by sonoranfans

trioderob

thats alot of if's

if worms had machineguns would birds still try to mess with them ???

LJG

thats alot of if's

if worms had machineguns would birds still try to mess with them ???

If is the middle word in life.

bubba

Inscrutable Zen Monk say: If inscrutable Aunt have rootballs, she be my inscrutable....

• Upvote 2

Pedro 65

Copernicia IS a palm I nearly Lost due to TOO much fert, Gene had the same Problem...Before I did lay on the food Ken did tell me in a PM "be careful" Copernicias are " fussy eaters'. ..I took the punt.....then not long later...many soggy spears...worry worry worry...Litres and litres of Hydrogen peroxide 35% foodgrade at the right rate was applied and applied ...and...applied...It saved the our Best Copernicia...You live...you learn...and.. I will "Never" overfeed my Copernicia 'Again" :)

sonoranfans

Copernicia IS a palm I nearly Lost due to TOO much fert, Gene had the same Problem...Before I did lay on the food Ken did tell me in a PM "be careful" Copernicias are " fussy eaters'. ..I took the punt.....then not long later...many soggy spears...worry worry worry...Litres and litres of Hydrogen peroxide 35% foodgrade at the right rate was applied and applied ...and...applied...It saved the our Best Copernicia...You live...you learn...and.. I will "Never" overfeed my Copernicia 'Again" :)

This is why I like to use the florikan palm fertilizer, it is nearly impossible to overfertilize as delivery is by diffusion across a polymer membrane over 6 months. In sandy soils like mine, the "right" amount is nearly impossible. I throw it down by the handful, typically 6-15 handfulls 4 times a year depending on the size and species of palm. Heck I even put 3-4 hand fulls in a 5 gallon pot and I haven't noticed a burn in 2+ years.

Gallop

I just put 200lbs of Florikan on 4 JXS head high and 200lbs on 2 large BXPJ & 2 BXPJS they seem to love it.. Good stuff!

• Upvote 2

sonoranfans

I think we also need to remember Ken says a mature copernicia take this much fert. the bailey he recently transplanted looked like it has at least a 30" thick trunk with 10' clear... yup I have no doubt it'll take 100lbs a year... that thing must weight more than 5000lbs...

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35851-big-copernicia-transplant/

Edited by sonoranfans

trioderob

'200lbs of Florikan on 4 JXS"

let me get this right - you just put 50 lb each on several jub x queens ???

Gallop

Yea that's right they are actually bigger than I mention however slightly smaller than Gary L. I believe they were from the same seed batch. The Florikan I use is a 12 month slow release and where I currently live the palms are growing in pure sand. I'm next to the beach.

sonoranfans

Yea that's right they are actually bigger than I mention however slightly smaller than Gary L. I believe they were from the same seed batch. The Florikan I use is a 12 month slow release and where I currently live the palms are growing in pure sand. I'm next to the beach.

Paul,

I would love to see some pics of those hybrids... Are they from patrick?

• Upvote 1

trioderob

Gary-

how many pounds of fert for you on the monster Jub x Queen ???

Gallop

He probably puts a handful out if any I'm guessing. Gary... is that good.

Gallop

Yes the hybrids are from Patric

post-1473-0-91207700-1362199870_thumb.jp

post-1473-0-71880700-1362201019_thumb.jp

post-1473-0-68512300-1362200229_thumb.jp

Gallop

As norm variability in all plants.

BXPJ

post-1473-0-10263900-1362204934_thumb.jp

JXS

post-1473-0-25623000-1362202302_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Gallop

SXJ looks different than JXS

post-1473-0-94307500-1362207318_thumb.jp

sonoranfans

Paul, thanks for the pics, great spread of hybrids. You have a nice sample of the genetic influences of quite a few of the cocoid crosses all in one place!

• Upvote 1

RJ

Paul how are these looking now? You have some very early hybrids that are probably some of the largest in the SE by now.