IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fastest growing Dypsis

Walter John

Fastest growing Dypsis  

3 members have voted

1. 1.

• Dypsis albofarinosa
    • Dypsis lutescens
    • Dypsis pembana
    • Dypsis baronii
    • Dypsis onilahensis
    • Dypsis cabadae
    • Dypsis lanceolata
    • Dypsis ambositrae
    • Dypsis lucubensis
    • Dypsis mahajanga

There are other Dypsis but here's a popular 10. If there's another species not listed but deserves mention, please mention.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(tomspalmsdotcalm @ Jan. 27 2007,10:03)

Hmmm, don't see decaryi listed, that would be my vote among the 5 that I have, cabadae, pembana, leptocheilos,

santelucei.

aloha,

Yes Tom, the humble triangle should be in that list too. It only allows 10 items though.

Word to moderator, any chance of an increase in poll choices ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry Wal,

I checked into all that when I was doing the photo contest. Ten is the max. And as far as I could tell, the choices for the poll can not be edited once they are posted.

I'm pretty sure you could delete and start over. If not, perhaps I can delete.

BTW --- Most of those I have talked to consider Mahajunga, Lucubensis, Diego, and another palm sold as D. ankaizanensis, all as forms of Dypsis madagascarensis. That would free up a spot. Personally, I have found D. madagascarensis, lanceolata, and pembana very fast.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I'm sure Chris will speak up, since he started the other thread, but what he asked for was for us to rate the speed of growth of various Dypsis palms, on a 1-10 scale. A poll to select the fastest grower doesn't accomplish this.

And I have to give it some more thought...

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Jan. 27 2007,11:06)

I'm sure Chris will speak up, since he started the other thread, but what he asked for was for us to rate the speed of growth of various Dypsis palms, on a 1-10 scale. A poll to select the fastest grower doesn't accomplish this.

stick your head in Bo, the poll was to help not to give his answer.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(bgl @ Jan. 26 2007,21:06)

Bo,

True,  with a speed rating on 1-10 basis and a cold tolerance it would then enable a more informed selection,  rather than just knowing what was the fastest.

I know it does take some thought,  but it would help us particularly in the cooler areas,  since we have a shorter growing season.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I voted for onilahensis, which is the fastest of the species I have on the list.  Interestingly now 7 species have one vote with no species having more than one vote, which doesn't bode well for a conclusive result.

• Upvote 1

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I voted for lucubensis, since that's really madagascariensis, and my experience has been that this Dypsis will outgrow all the others (with the possible exception of pembana) by a mile!!

Edit: and since lutescens is also on the list, let me just mention my experience with these two. I planted a row of D. lutescens (along the street) in Sep 2001. These plants were 6 ft tall. 8 months later I planted 10 D. madagascariensis every 15 ft or so, about 4 ft behind the lutescens line. The D. madagascariensis were in 1G pots and about 1 ft/30 cm tall. Now, not even 5 years later the D. madagascariensis which were planted 8 months later and MUCH smaller are towering over the D. lutescens (which was my intention). NO COMPARISON!!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo's a runner, so I figure he knows something about speed.  So, I'll agree with him: Dypsis madagascarensis.  Second would be Dypsis decipiens...........  just kidding.  No, second on this list probably would be pembana.  I find onilahensis sort of slow.  

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I have D. lutescens, fine-leaf, baronii, onilahensis, decaryii, albofarinosa, saintlucei.  Of mine, the fine-leaf is the fastest.  Too early to tell much about the saintlucei as I only got it last Sept, but it appears to be fast too.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

That's 20 votes in, that's nearly a consensus, and it looks like lutescens is leading by a frond or two.

Any more ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 8 months later...

I must have missed this poll a while back. I picked cabadae because I have heard from people that it is faster than lutescens and decaryi, the only 2 Dypsis that I have growing. In reality, cabadae my just appear to be faster because it needs more tropical conditions than lutescens which would give it a 365 day growing season. I have found lutescens to be anything from sluggish when planted the way they come from the box stores, like a patch of grass; to fast when planted as a single or much less densely. So far decaryi is not too fast at all, but it may just be getting established since I only planted it out from a 1 gallon earlier this summer. Isn't leptocheilos supposed to be pretty quick in suitable climates?

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I have some mystery Dypsis I bought and I think Ron eventually called it "Cabadae look-a-like" its FAST for me it was in a 1 gal pot when bought, I potted it into a 5 gal in about Feb, I think its on its forth frond and I think I saw roots coming out the bottom too!

NOT like my real Cabadae I had in the past at all!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

How bout dypsis sp. Mayotte?  Also the true ambositrae once in a 5g size really takes off.  In my opinion both are faster than all my pembana's.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Of the ones on the list baronii is far and away the fastest for me, with madagascarensis a very close second.

The fastest of all, if it's happy, is decaryi.  Lutescens isn't slow, either, though not like the others.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I voted for Pembana.  I'm not growing lucabensis though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I only have psamophila, leptocheilos, and 'blue seed' in the ground so far.  Leptocheilos is faster.  Mine has done exceedingly well.  I plan on putting an 'Orange Crush' in later this year, along with a pembana and ambrositrae.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Hi guys

I voted for cabadae, I planted a small (less than 80cm th) plant last year April. It is now well over two meters tall. It does get alot of run-off from the drive though. Next best is lucubensis.....

Cheers

Dennis

Pic taken in August, it has opened another leaf since then and the new spear is halfway out.

post-35-1192517744_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Here the D. madagascariensis is probably the fastest growing species but D.cabadae comes as a close second. I'm impressed with the vigorous growth rate of one of my fake D. ambrositrae too (fine leaf). It is positioned in partial shade and growing twice as fast as the others, from the same batch of seeds germinated 2 1/2 years ago.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 2 months later...

(Wal @ Jan. 26 2007,19:42)

There are other Dypsis but here's a popular 10. If there's another species not listed but deserves mention, please mention.

:) Hi Guys

Got to mention this species as far as fast growing

Here's a Dypsis that will really Freak you out, This is

a photo Clayton E-mailed me, He's being flat out and

this Computers not behaving  :angry: .

(Teresa had to  put all the hammers away,so Clayton

can't find them.)  :laugh:

This is D.minuta , From seed to flowering in 4 years.

Regards to all.

Mikey

post-657-1198909416_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

And just to show you  there's more than one of

these choice palms.

Cheers Mikey.

post-657-1198909641_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Wow... that is amazing, flowering at that size?? That is why it is called Dypsis minuta??

BTW, when you talk to Clayton... tell him I say 'hi' and tell him most of the big palms have gone in now, except for the camberoynia (have to put up temporary shade cloth for those....). I will try to call him sometimes... the monsoon beats us to it, trying to put everything in the ground.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(ariscott @ Dec. 29 2007,04:05)

Wow... that is amazing, flowering at that size?? That is why it is called Dypsis minuta??

BTW, when you talk to Clayton... tell him I say 'hi' and tell him most of the big palms have gone in now, except for the camberoynia (have to put up temporary shade cloth for those....). I will try to call him sometimes... the monsoon beats us to it, trying to put everything in the ground.

:) Hi Ari,

Done... Catch-up later, Best wishes to Scott as well.

.....Mikey. :)

Also a Bump-up

for this thread....... :D (M.E)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

I started this thread nearly 12 months ago, why is it back ?

...oh damn, I just added to it..

:D  :D  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

A bigger question is...

Why is Dypsis lutescens in 2nd place?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(Wal @ Dec. 30 2007,03:27)

I started this thread nearly 12 months ago, why is it back ?

...oh damn, I just added to it..

:D  :D  :D

Hi Wal

All the best to you and your family palms include for the New Year!! :)

I think the reason this topic was bought forward was when these Dypsis were all at the starting blocks and when the gun went off this little Dypsis left them for dead, it was over the finish line and most had not even left the starting line! I think we have found an unexpected winner!! :P  So much for those big buggers!!! :D

Ps even though it started 12 month ago they still have not caught up  ???  :D

Clayton.

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Hi Clayton, best wishes to you and Teresa. That minuta is impressive to say the least.

We had a great Darwin trip recently in case you haven't heard, must catch up and visit you soon, being growing season and all.

You got any specials up there ? ???  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal

Always specials for you guys!!!

Ps Colin told me you all about the great time you lot had up there, he also rang me from the air port from Darwin while waiting for the plane and filled me in on what you got up too.

Happy New year and all that...

Clayton

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Hi Clayton,

Good to see you back posting again. How was your trip? I planted everything that I could plant... the big stuff except for the Cambeyronia, as Scott has to build another temporary shade for them. He built one 2 days ago, is building another one now... and hopefully 2 more after that :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

i would say any that aren't grown in Hobart !~

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate