• Dypsis baronii
    • Dypsis onilahensis
    • Dypsis cabadae
    • Dypsis lanceolata
    • Dypsis ambositrae
    • Dypsis lucubensis
    • Dypsis mahajanga

Walter John

There are other Dypsis but here's a popular 10. If there's another species not listed but deserves mention, please mention.

tomspalmsdotcalm

Hmmm, don't see decaryi listed, that would be my vote among the 5 that I have, cabadae, pembana, leptocheilos,

santelucei.

aloha,

Walter John

(tomspalmsdotcalm @ Jan. 27 2007,10:03)

Hmmm, don't see decaryi listed, that would be my vote among the 5 that I have, cabadae, pembana, leptocheilos,

santelucei.

aloha,

Yes Tom, the humble triangle should be in that list too. It only allows 10 items though.

Word to moderator, any chance of an increase in poll choices ?

PALM MOD

Sorry Wal,

I checked into all that when I was doing the photo contest. Ten is the max. And as far as I could tell, the choices for the poll can not be edited once they are posted.

I'm pretty sure you could delete and start over. If not, perhaps I can delete.

BTW --- Most of those I have talked to consider Mahajunga, Lucubensis, Diego, and another palm sold as D. ankaizanensis, all as forms of Dypsis madagascarensis. That would free up a spot. Personally, I have found D. madagascarensis, lanceolata, and pembana very fast.

bgl

I'm sure Chris will speak up, since he started the other thread, but what he asked for was for us to rate the speed of growth of various Dypsis palms, on a 1-10 scale. A poll to select the fastest grower doesn't accomplish this.

And I have to give it some more thought...

Walter John

(bgl @ Jan. 27 2007,11:06)

I'm sure Chris will speak up, since he started the other thread, but what he asked for was for us to rate the speed of growth of various Dypsis palms, on a 1-10 scale. A poll to select the fastest grower doesn't accomplish this.

stick your head in Bo, the poll was to help not to give his answer.

chris.oz

(bgl @ Jan. 26 2007,21:06)

Bo,

True,  with a speed rating on 1-10 basis and a cold tolerance it would then enable a more informed selection,  rather than just knowing what was the fastest.

I know it does take some thought,  but it would help us particularly in the cooler areas,  since we have a shorter growing season.

Neofolis

I voted for onilahensis, which is the fastest of the species I have on the list.  Interestingly now 7 species have one vote with no species having more than one vote, which doesn't bode well for a conclusive result.

• Upvote 1

bgl

I voted for lucubensis, since that's really madagascariensis, and my experience has been that this Dypsis will outgrow all the others (with the possible exception of pembana) by a mile!!

Edit: and since lutescens is also on the list, let me just mention my experience with these two. I planted a row of D. lutescens (along the street) in Sep 2001. These plants were 6 ft tall. 8 months later I planted 10 D. madagascariensis every 15 ft or so, about 4 ft behind the lutescens line. The D. madagascariensis were in 1G pots and about 1 ft/30 cm tall. Now, not even 5 years later the D. madagascariensis which were planted 8 months later and MUCH smaller are towering over the D. lutescens (which was my intention). NO COMPARISON!!

Carlo Morici

D.madagascariensis is the one I have seen growing faster. Up to about 2 m / year.

Phil

Bo's a runner, so I figure he knows something about speed.  So, I'll agree with him: Dypsis madagascarensis.  Second would be Dypsis decipiens...........  just kidding.  No, second on this list probably would be pembana.  I find onilahensis sort of slow.  

Phil

SunnyFl

I have D. lutescens, fine-leaf, baronii, onilahensis, decaryii, albofarinosa, saintlucei.  Of mine, the fine-leaf is the fastest.  Too early to tell much about the saintlucei as I only got it last Sept, but it appears to be fast too.

Walter John

That's 20 votes in, that's nearly a consensus, and it looks like lutescens is leading by a frond or two.

Any more ?

The Germinator

Where's decaryi, thats my tallest

ruskinPalms

I must have missed this poll a while back. I picked cabadae because I have heard from people that it is faster than lutescens and decaryi, the only 2 Dypsis that I have growing. In reality, cabadae my just appear to be faster because it needs more tropical conditions than lutescens which would give it a 365 day growing season. I have found lutescens to be anything from sluggish when planted the way they come from the box stores, like a patch of grass; to fast when planted as a single or much less densely. So far decaryi is not too fast at all, but it may just be getting established since I only planted it out from a 1 gallon earlier this summer. Isn't leptocheilos supposed to be pretty quick in suitable climates?

• Upvote 1

BS Man about Palms

I have some mystery Dypsis I bought and I think Ron eventually called it "Cabadae look-a-like" its FAST for me it was in a 1 gal pot when bought, I potted it into a 5 gal in about Feb, I think its on its forth frond and I think I saw roots coming out the bottom too!

NOT like my real Cabadae I had in the past at all!

tropicalb

of the Dypsis varieties I have grown, pembana is the CLEAR winner.

ellidro

How bout dypsis sp. Mayotte?  Also the true ambositrae once in a 5g size really takes off.  In my opinion both are faster than all my pembana's.

DoomsDave

Of the ones on the list baronii is far and away the fastest for me, with madagascarensis a very close second.

The fastest of all, if it's happy, is decaryi.  Lutescens isn't slow, either, though not like the others.

MattyB

I voted for Pembana.  I'm not growing lucabensis though.

palmmermaid

I only have psamophila, leptocheilos, and 'blue seed' in the ground so far.  Leptocheilos is faster.  Mine has done exceedingly well.  I plan on putting an 'Orange Crush' in later this year, along with a pembana and ambrositrae.

PalmsZA

Hi guys

I voted for cabadae, I planted a small (less than 80cm th) plant last year April. It is now well over two meters tall. It does get alot of run-off from the drive though. Next best is lucubensis.....

Cheers

Dennis

Pic taken in August, it has opened another leaf since then and the new spear is halfway out.

post-35-1192517744_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gileno Machado

Here the D. madagascariensis is probably the fastest growing species but D.cabadae comes as a close second. I'm impressed with the vigorous growth rate of one of my fake D. ambrositrae too (fine leaf). It is positioned in partial shade and growing twice as fast as the others, from the same batch of seeds germinated 2 1/2 years ago.

calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

(Wal @ Jan. 26 2007,19:42)

There are other Dypsis but here's a popular 10. If there's another species not listed but deserves mention, please mention.

:) Hi Guys

Got to mention this species as far as fast growing

Here's a Dypsis that will really Freak you out, This is

a photo Clayton E-mailed me, He's being flat out and

this Computers not behaving  :angry: .

(Teresa had to  put all the hammers away,so Clayton

can't find them.)  :laugh:

This is D.minuta , From seed to flowering in 4 years.

Regards to all.

Mikey

post-657-1198909416_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

And just to show you  there's more than one of

these choice palms.

Cheers Mikey.

post-657-1198909641_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

ariscott

Wow... that is amazing, flowering at that size?? That is why it is called Dypsis minuta??

BTW, when you talk to Clayton... tell him I say 'hi' and tell him most of the big palms have gone in now, except for the camberoynia (have to put up temporary shade cloth for those....). I will try to call him sometimes... the monsoon beats us to it, trying to put everything in the ground.

Regards, Ari :)

(ariscott @ Dec. 29 2007,04:05)

Wow... that is amazing, flowering at that size?? That is why it is called Dypsis minuta??

BTW, when you talk to Clayton... tell him I say 'hi' and tell him most of the big palms have gone in now, except for the camberoynia (have to put up temporary shade cloth for those....). I will try to call him sometimes... the monsoon beats us to it, trying to put everything in the ground.

:) Hi Ari,

Done... Catch-up later, Best wishes to Scott as well.

.....Mikey. :)

Also a Bump-up

for this thread....... :D (M.E)

• Upvote 1

Walter John

I started this thread nearly 12 months ago, why is it back ?

...oh damn, I just added to it..

:D  :D  :D

osideterry

A bigger question is...

Why is Dypsis lutescens in 2nd place?

Utopia Palms

(Wal @ Dec. 30 2007,03:27)

I started this thread nearly 12 months ago, why is it back ?

...oh damn, I just added to it..

:D  :D  :D

Hi Wal

All the best to you and your family palms include for the New Year!! :)

I think the reason this topic was bought forward was when these Dypsis were all at the starting blocks and when the gun went off this little Dypsis left them for dead, it was over the finish line and most had not even left the starting line! I think we have found an unexpected winner!! :P  So much for those big buggers!!! :D

Ps even though it started 12 month ago they still have not caught up  ???  :D

Clayton.

• Upvote 1

Walter John

Hi Clayton, best wishes to you and Teresa. That minuta is impressive to say the least.

We had a great Darwin trip recently in case you haven't heard, must catch up and visit you soon, being growing season and all.

You got any specials up there ? ???  :D

Utopia Palms

Hi Wal

Always specials for you guys!!!

Ps Colin told me you all about the great time you lot had up there, he also rang me from the air port from Darwin while waiting for the plane and filled me in on what you got up too.

Happy New year and all that...

Clayton

• Upvote 1

ariscott

Hi Clayton,

Good to see you back posting again. How was your trip? I planted everything that I could plant... the big stuff except for the Cambeyronia, as Scott has to build another temporary shade for them. He built one 2 days ago, is building another one now... and hopefully 2 more after that :)

Tassie_Troy1971

i would say any that aren't grown in Hobart !~