IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Weather for Socal this week!

MattyB

I'm sitting here trying to make my stiff fingers work the keyboard wondering how cold it is today. 48F for the high today!!!!! I've never seen it this cold for the high!!!! Wind advisory in effect which means at least 35 MPH winds expected with gusts near 45 MPH; once we start to get above 40 MPH it gets real nasty blowing up through our canyon. Snow levels are predicted to drop down to about 2000 feet by tomorrow morning and low temps will be in the 30's for at least the remainder of the week. So we can count on at least a week of no warmth at all, just cold cold cold. Post some links people! Let's talk this thing out! frackle jack it's cold like an eskimo's pie!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Been here froze that. im over it. done.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

SoCal oldtimers will remember the "Valentine's Day Massacre." Just when you think you can see Spring on the horizon..............

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I remember a "Winter Storm" about 3 years back on March 21st, with low snow levels, and the post cold front morning frost, so I know better than to get my hopes up for Spring until at least April. That early spring stuff is really only applicable to the south I think.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Strange microclimates. Here in Laguna Hills the air is humid and perfectly still. Overnight low was 50. High today was 55. Now it's 52 and cooling.

Off-topic: funny Matty, :lol:... I'm Eskimo! My name in Cup'ig is Saacuan--little bird lost in the snow (http://audubon2.org/watchlist/viewSpecies.jsp?id=134McKays Bunting)--but aka Shirley.

On-topic: I just can't handle anymore winter weather. Please. Pretty please. Make it stop.

Edited by ThreepointtwoWhites

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

NWS Monterey DISCUSSION....AS OF 1:50 PM PST TUESDAY...COLD UPPER LOW AND

ASSOCIATED TROUGH HAS BROUGHT NUMEROUS SHOWERS TO THE DISTRICT

TODAY. SNOW LEVELS HAVE BEEN DROPPING...WITH ISOLATED REPORTS OF

SNOW MIXING IN WITH THE RAIN IN THE HEAVIER SHOWERS DOWN TO AS

LOW AS 800 FT NEAR MT DIABLO AND DOWN TO 200 FT IN THE MONTEREY

AREA FROM A RETIRED NWS EMPLOYEE. THERE HAVE BEEN A NUMBER OF

REPORTS OF SMALL HAIL AS WELL. THERE WAS EVEN A LIGHTNING STRIKE

OFF THE MONTEREY COAST BY WHALE POINT THIS AFTN. HOWEVER...IT

LOOKS LIKE THE ACCUMULATING SNOW HAS BEEN GENERALLY ABOVE 1500 FT.

MANY OF THESE REPORTS CAN BE SEEN ON OUR TWITTER AND FACEBOOK

PAGES LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DISCUSSION.

This cold crap sucks and it's heading your way, not to mention it's not putting any dents into our drought! I just got back from Maui, making this feel so much colder. We need some pineapple express style rain.

48f. right now 5am. I don't get why Corona has been warmer this winter than other areas around me that are normaly warmer than Corona?

test

41 was my over night low. I got hail for most of the night.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Off-topic: funny Matty, :lol:... I'm Eskimo! My name in Cup'ig is Saacuan--little bird lost in the snow (http://audubon2.org/watchlist/viewSpecies.jsp?id=134McKays Bunting)--but aka Shirley.

:) Hi Shirley! I'm glad I kept my Eskimo joke fairly clean. :mrlooney: I guess you never know when an Eskimo is lurking around the corner. Nice to meet you.

We had some good wind last night but not too much. The house only vibrated like a giant accordion a couple of times. When I pulled up to my parents house in Alpine this morning, it was 38F and this is what I saw! :bemused: The new White Topped Sego! Available for a limited time only! $6000 USD.

post-126-0-86160300-1361377960_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice to meet you too, MattyB, very, very nice! I'm a newbie to Palmtalk...and oh how I love this website. Did you see PalmatierMeg's post #211 in the "New Florida Winter Outlook" thread (on page 6)......Basically says it's not over. Ironically, I can handle Eskimo jokes with no problem...but not cold snaps. So, I wonder if the cold you're experiencing is gonna creep ever closer and make me cry. lol.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

It was a cold morning behind this last storm that blew through. 39F at my house in Spring Valley. Driving out through El Cajon this morning I observed wide spread frost. Here's some pics from my parents house in Alpine. They got down to 33F.

post-126-0-17079000-1361549168_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-73333300-1361549174_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-04629600-1361549184_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-85631900-1361549205_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-34131000-1361549212_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-81485800-1361549220_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

it was chilli at my house. i hit 35. frost on the rooftops only though. everything was still pretty wet so that may have helped

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

46.7 yesterday and 38 this morning.

I just learned all about El Niño and La Niña weather patterns last night. Really interesting. Didn't know it effected the whole north and South Pacific.

Looks like a normal / slightly El Niño year coming up. Hoping for strong El Niño next winter. For so cal, El Niño is usually warmer and wetter. More tropical influence. Better waves in summer. We're going through a slight La Niña winter which is dryer and colder. Forecast says we will be getting a fluctuation of cold and warm weather till end of winter, meaning we will have some cold days (colder than normal) and then warmer days following that. Just like we saw with that week long cold snap. That was the coldest since 2007 but the following days after that we saw 10-15 degrees above normal.

http://www.liveweatherblogs.com/index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewdiscussion&groupid=8&topicid=2639&Itemid=179

http://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/predictive/outlooks/myfiles/assessment.pdf

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

On-topic: I just can't handle anymore winter weather. Please. Pretty please. Make it stop.

Where are you from? I grew up in Alaska. My good friend is Eskimo. His mom always used to say "mush!" To us.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!